is it bricked?
A friend of mine somehow jabbed a nano SIM into his Pinephone, realized something was wrong and had to use a straight pin to fish it out.  Now his phone won't come on.  He just bricked a Pinephone.  Just how screwed is he?
he could easily have shortcircuited something like the SIM pins, especially the voltage pin with the ground or he may has scratched the board and destroyed some component, the board needs inspection
(07-15-2021, 03:42 PM)mouffa Wrote: he could easily have shortcircuited something like the SIM pins, especially the voltage pin with the ground or he may has scratched the board and destroyed some component, the board needs inspection

I assume his SIM still works since he called me...unless he used a different phone - didn't think to ask him.

That board can be replaced, right?  I was thinking worst case what happened is as you suggested and he could just replace the mb. From what he told me, he didn't put the battery in until after the SIM was removed.
I meant the SIM slot pins, not the SIM itself, he can probably fix it but it may needs various tricks if it is a difficult damage, the motherboard can be replaced but he better tries to fix it first
If bricked they had a pretty good deal on a replacement 3/32gb ram/emmc board, check the store or see about buying one of the earlier hardware revs from an upgrader.
PM me if the phone is decided to be bricked.
If it makes your friend feel better I just scratched a 256mb microSD and bricked it.
I agree with mouffa, take a closer look before you assume all is lost.

There have been some issues where other people bent / damaged SIM card pins and they were still able to get it to work (check the forums, there have been a number of threads).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(07-16-2021, 06:49 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I agree with mouffa, take a closer look before you assume all is lost.

There have been some issues where other people bent / damaged SIM card pins and they were still able to get it to work (check the forums, there have been a number of threads).
Thanks for the input.  I'll do a search on here and see what I can find.  It's gotta be something pretty stupid simple.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone bricked after connecting to a PC over USB granolanostalgic 1 1,669 10-22-2021, 02:02 AM
Last Post: kqlnut