How hard to replace screen?
(11-25-2020, 10:58 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 09:00 PM)Csanderson0313 Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 07:16 AM)wibble Wrote: Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Hope it going good with your screen.

Thanks, I've got the phone apart but am not sure how to transfer the USB-C side board to the new screen housing. (I started a new thread asking about that but no responses there yet.) It has a piece that looks like a copper mesh possibly glued to the housing and I'm not sure yet how to remove it without damage. Here's a photo of the part from the Pine store:

[Image: PinePhone-USB-C-Board-1-1-300x300.jpg]
I tried to replace this this morning, and destroyed this part. The flex connection from the PCB to the other part is fragile.

After ripping it, I experimented with getting the speaker out, and detaching the rest.

I did the following:

1. loosen the wires attached to the speaker just "north" of the speaker itself.
2. use a small flat-bladed screwdriver (1 mm) to gently pry up the speaker at the southeast (4.30pm).
3. When the speaker is loose, gradually list the thin flex from the case.
4. grab a corner of the large square part of the flex with forceps, and lift it carefully.
5. When you get close to the narrow flex on the right SLOW down and be very, very careful and detach the flex.

I'm confident I wouldn't balls it up if I had to do it again, if I used this approach.

Good luck!
I successfully replaced the screen without breaking anything AFAIK.
The phone boots and the screen has beautiful quality.  My main issue is that it does not recognize touch input.
It would be really nice to make a good diagram for all of this and have it in the wiki for replacing components.
My guess is that one of the ribbon cables is not properly seated, but I may have missed something.
I added the new antennae, easily moved the USB-C card after dousing it with a hair dryer (thanks for the advice I was nervous about that part breaking until I read this thread), moved the speaker, and the gasket.

Anyone know for sure which one I need to look at most?
(01-14-2021, 01:26 PM)lusoman Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:58 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Thanks, I've got the phone apart but am not sure how to transfer the USB-C side board to the new screen housing. (I started a new thread asking about that but no responses there yet.) It has a piece that looks like a copper mesh possibly glued to the housing and I'm not sure yet how to remove it without damage. Here's a photo of the part from the Pine store:

[Image: PinePhone-USB-C-Board-1-1-300x300.jpg]
I tried to replace this this morning, and destroyed this part. The flex connection from the PCB to the other part is fragile.

After ripping it, I experimented with getting the speaker out, and detaching the rest.

I did the following:

1. loosen the wires attached to the speaker just "north" of the speaker itself.
2. use a small flat-bladed screwdriver (1 mm) to gently pry up the speaker at the southeast (4.30pm).
3. When the speaker is loose, gradually list the thin flex from the case.
4. grab a corner of the large square part of the flex with forceps, and lift it carefully.
5. When you get close to the narrow flex on the right SLOW down and be very, very careful and detach the flex.

I'm confident I wouldn't balls it up if I had to do it again, if I used this approach.

Good luck!
Sorry for the delay in follow-up, but I did get it all working OK. Not sure where to point you, but if I were you I would just reseat everything.
(04-14-2021, 10:17 AM)lusoman Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:58 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: ...
Sorry for the delay in follow-up, but I did get it all working OK. Not sure where to point you, but if I were you I would just reseat everything.
I just pulled it apart and reseated everything.  I transferred the gold sticker covering the ribbon cable on the top of the phone (near the speaker), thinking that might help, but it did not.
I did put a screen protector on it as well, but I don't think the screen protector would be preventing it from working....

Could it be a faulty screen?
(04-14-2021, 10:25 AM)israel Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 10:17 AM)lusoman Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:58 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: ...
I just pulled it apart and reseated everything.  I transferred the gold sticker covering the ribbon cable on the top of the phone (near the speaker), thinking that might help, but it did not.
I did put a screen protector on it as well, but I don't think the screen protector would be preventing it from working....

Could it be a faulty screen?
It could be, but I don't know how to test that. Sorry.
Does anyone know which ribbon cable connects the touch capacitive portion of the screen, and which is for the video portion of the display?
Are there some sort of schematic page I can examine? For a completely open phone, we will need better documentation available. I am willing to take a terrible sketch and make a nice SVG of it, I've done plenty of work in Inkscape over the past decade or so.
I really want to understand what is what, and I want to make it much easier for everyone after us who replaces the screen.
Should I contact Pine directly, via sales? I don't mind spending the effort and time to make a really nice graphic to help others, but I'd like accurate information first.
I looked at the exploder diagram in the earlier post (https://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/p.../PinePhone Exploded Diagram ver 1.0.pdf) and found the top ribbon cable is for the Touch Panel (TP)
I found the Datasheet for the TP GOODIX GT917S https://www.crystalfontz.com/controllers/GOODIX/GT911/
The little micro processor on the ribbon is the GOODIX.

At least I have narrowed what is what now.
My screen replacement went very well, except I wish I'd spent an extra 1 dollar and  purchased a new mainboard to USB-C sideboard coax cable too. I already had a spare USB-C sideboard on hand, because I find that cell phones often become bricks eventually, after the stress and strain of power cable charging situations and mishaps ruins the phone's charging socket and the phone can no longer be charged. As part of the USB-C sideboard, the Pinephone USB-C socket is well worth the money for its relative ease of replacement, compared to the surface mount soldering rework required on most cell phones I've seen.

Anyway, I didn't need my spare USB-C sideboard when I replaced my screen, but the mainboard end of the coax connector was reluctant to stay connected to its mainboard socket upon re-assembly. I spent a lot of time with this fussy task! Eventually I changed the natural slack, lay and angle of the cable such that I could snap it in place and then twist it slightly to a somewhat new angular / rotational position of the connector barrel on the socket. It seems to be holding now and the phone is fully functional. These connectors loose retention force quickly with repeated teardown and assembly--even faster than all the sticky backed components lose retention with each teardown and repair.

Hopefully my replacement screen will remain defect free a lot longer than my original screen. My replacement screen is a -1 revision but my original was a -2 rev. The repair wasn't nearly as challenging as removing, cleaning, and re-lubricating the shutter iris in my little Sanyo XACTI HD camera, but neither repair is something I'd like to ever do again!
I got clumsy and dropped my pinephone beta into water, quickly pulling it out. It started up fine afterward , except the screen looked like a crt with static for about 15 seconds. That went away and I made a couple of calls and put the phone aside, thinking that I had gotten lucky. When I picked it up after a few hours the screen was blank, not black but a very dark grey. I get these 'blank outs' often enough that I thought nothing of it and rebooted. Still no display at all. I plugged it into a tv screen via hdmi and nothing showed up there either, not a good sign. I can ssh in to the phone fine. The phone still rings when I call it, just no way to answer. There were several errors printed by dmesg (posted below).

Maybe something got wet inside.I decided to take the phone apart to see if it would dry out. I found a step by step video that helped a lot. I'm going to let it set for a day or two. If anyone has any ideas on how better to dry the phone or what else might be causing this behavior please post them.

A good replace-screen video: https://youtu.be/5CgdAMhqSeA

.txt   dmesg.txt (Size: 62.26 KB / Downloads: 134)

---------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2022-08-07

I let this phone set for a for few months, then found that it would display on my tv. Just last month I ordered a new screen, installed it today. It's working very well with the new screen ... mostly. One problem I'm having is that when I place a call the screen will blink off and on. This only happens when using calls. I'm supposing I might have done something during install that is causing this. Or maybe the app (calls) is currently having issues? I did a full-upgrade right after the first boot.

Using debian bookworm (Mobian)
If anyone has any idea what might be causing this I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 270 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,124 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 140,353 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 2,963 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,480 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,633 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,866 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,183 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,114 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays. holycow 6 4,336 12-26-2021, 04:49 AM
Last Post: barray