BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install
ok cool, good to know pkg is now working

That compilation is insane, it's now building llvm10 by the looks of it. You could just cancel it now and install the samba package, but I suppose it's funny to see it complete now.

BTW, say you chose some custom compilation options for samba and you didn't want pkg to update it (and override it with the package built with default options). In that case you can do

Code:
# pkg lock PKGNAME

and then pkg upgrade won't touch that package. To upgrade you'd have to run portmaster again
Quote:# pkg lock PKGNAME

Good to know, thank you!

The compiling threw some errors. Consequently a couple of hairs in my stubble turned grey because it is a learning opportunity not a disappointment. Will research them later today. It feels like just installing Samba would be a shortcut at this point. haha! I am very impressed with the aluminum case Pine64 sells for it. The case never got beyond 32degreesC even with sustained high CPU loads. Hadn't thought to verify the CPU temp, but will check it underload later today.

How much longer do you have to wait until you get your RockPro64? Days, weeks, do not know?
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
(02-27-2021, 11:09 AM)MNtinkerer Wrote:
Quote:# pkg lock PKGNAME

Good to know, thank you!

The compiling threw some errors. Consequently a couple of hairs in my stubble turned grey because it is a learning opportunity not a disappointment. Will research them later today. It feels like just installing Samba would be a shortcut at this point. haha! I am very impressed with the aluminum case Pine64 sells for it. The case never got beyond 32degreesC even with sustained high CPU loads. Hadn't thought to verify the CPU temp, but will check it underload later today.

How much longer do you have to wait until you get your RockPro64? Days, weeks, do not know?

The amount I've learned from FreeBSD dealing with various issues from the ground-up is invaluable.

I'm not sure when the RockPro64 will arrive, I ordered it about a week ago but I'm in the UK and I think they were still in Chinese new year time.
this looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOVX3CbSlWU

panfrost on freebsd with the rk3399 and mali gpu,

This is really exciting, check out his twitter feed, it looks blistering fast:

https://twitter.com/onewilshire/status/1...1871073280
That is very exciting! In many ways these modest chips paired with FOSS are like taking a family sedan and converting it to a race vehicle. It is a salute to human ingenuity to make the most of something and then share it with the community.

I have Samba configured and running now, essentially. The mounted folder has 2 text files in it but eventually will hold all our personal files, photos, and movies. Next step is the PCIe to Sata board. I have both the Pine64 board and a 4-port board based on a Marvell chipset. By the end of the coming weekend both will have been evaluated with FreeBSD. The 4-port board works with ayufan's Ubuntu image with a Linux 5.xx kernel.

My end goal for this project is RAIDz2 (5 drives), but will have to wait a month or two before I can afford the new drives and new PCIe to Sata board. Right now I have a Linux based RAID6, another RAID0 with LVM on top of it, whose size fluctuates, and an offline (2) USB 8Tb backup using WD Mypassport external drives. I was hoping to shuck the cases and use the latter in the RAIDz6 array but they are USB based controllers.

A FreeBSD desktop on RockPro64 opens the possibility to a homebrew smart TV or some other fun network appliance. I came to FreeBSD with more modest goals but playing with the operating system and seeing what the community is up to, it is sort of like being an explorer in a barren desert. If your passion is discovery, and you desire a less travelled road, then there is plenty here to keep one occupied!
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
That sounds cool. I take it you'll use ZFS for the raid on FreeBSD?
(03-04-2021, 12:54 AM)ashleymills Wrote: That sounds cool. I take it you'll use ZFS for the raid on FreeBSD?

ZFS, absolutely. RAIDz2 appears to be the solution to my needs. I've lost enough data to bit rot that data integrity is important, but am on a budget so having 3 arrays with 8 disks isn't feasible. Have you used ZFS, LVM, mdadm (Linux software for RAID), what are your thoughts between the three? I've used LVM, mdadm, hardware RAID0/RAID10/RAID5, and LVM on top of RAID. As a hobbyist the latter seems cumbersome to administer across multiple servers, so a hybrid like ZFS seems promising.
(03-04-2021, 03:30 AM)MNtinkerer Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 12:54 AM)ashleymills Wrote: That sounds cool. I take it you'll use ZFS for the raid on FreeBSD?

ZFS, absolutely. RAIDz2 appears to be the solution to my needs. I've lost enough data to bit rot that data integrity is important, but am on a budget so having 3 arrays with 8 disks isn't feasible. Have you used ZFS, LVM, mdadm (Linux software for RAID), what are your thoughts between the three? I've used LVM, mdadm, hardware RAID0/RAID10/RAID5, and LVM on top of RAID. As a hobbyist the latter seems cumbersome to administer across multiple servers, so a hybrid like ZFS seems promising.

I've only ever used ZFS. My previous NAS had two 2TB disks in a mirror. It took about 3 commands to set that up using zfs. Personally I'm a massive fan of ZFS.

One of the disks actually failed so that was a good test of removing a disk and resilvering.

Ashley
Between RAIDz1 and RAID6 w/LVM on top, ZFS based RAID wins by a long shot. After spending the weekend playing around with it, one can see why those who've used it love it. I haven't had time to get my 4-port PCIe to SATA converter running on FreeBSD, however I am currently migrating 7TB of data from a RAID6 array on Linux to the RAIDz1 I assembled on (4) 4TB WD MyPassport external drives. Hoping it will be recognized by the RockPro64 FreeBSD host, via a USB hub. I don't want to keep the MyPassports online because they are not server grade. Was thinking they would work well with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ if paired with PoE and the 4 USB 2.0 ports on that machine. Then I could remotely fire up that device when doing a weekly backup, once I pick up the server grade HDDs for my NAS.
Sounds good. My shipment has arrived in the UK so it won't be long until I get mine. But I've been playing around with another RK3399 based device.

Building world takes about 8 hours using 4 CPUs and building the kernel takes about 35 minutes. I didn't encounter any issues so keeping the system uptodate with security patches etc isn't going to be a problem. Building 2nd time should be a lotquicker with the -DNO_CLEAN option if there are only a few changes to the src.