Game Controllers
Would a steam controller be compatible with this?
(01-29-2016, 04:12 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 03:39 PM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: Corners had to be cut with a 15 dollar device. Its using older technology. The cutting edge Nvidia Shield TV is 199.99 and struggles to play gamecube games and cannot play PS2(due to the emulator in its infancy). Cant really expect a $15 dollar board to be on the same level as a $199.99 device.

It should play everything up to Dreamcast though.

But I'm guessing it won't run any Sega Saturn emulators, since it is a system that is/was notoriously difficult to emulate. At least that's what I heard last time I checked.

But you say it will emulate Dreamcast. Is that via Reicast? What is the performance like, do you know?

Sega Saturn would be hard as you said. If I remember right, it had a bunch of co-processors on the board, which is what makes things difficult. 

I'm having issues getting the Bios going in Reicast. Every time I put it in the correct folder, it makes a sub folder and wants it in there. I'll try to mess with it this week.

(01-30-2016, 10:43 AM)Kiryu Wrote: Would a steam controller be compatible with this?

It appears that Android detects the controller. For games, I'm not sure if the emulators will detect the controller.
I'm currently using two DualShock4 controllers on my android tablet and are going to go for the android OS for my Pine. I assume it will work.
To get it to work (on the tablet) you need root access and an app called sixaxis (can handle up to 6 controllers at the same time).
It was not a big hustle to get it to work, so I hope it will be just as easy on the Pine.

The sixaxis app has the possibility to emulate screen-touch mapped to buttons of your choosing, so it is possible to make app-profiles thats activated when the game is launched.
The DS4 controllers allso have a touchpad to navigate the menu of games not made for gamepad.

Sorry if this seems like advertisement of spesific apps. Thats not the intention. Just telling the community of my experience with gamecontrollers for android.
Thanks for the info Tarjei85! I have a developer board at home and I'll give it a go with PS4 controllers when I get some time.
(02-03-2016, 01:16 PM)Tarjei85 Wrote: I'm currently using two DualShock4 controllers on my android tablet and are going to go for the android OS for my Pine. I assume it will work.
To get it to work (on the tablet) you need root access and an app called sixaxis (can handle up to 6 controllers at the same time).
It was not a big hustle to get it to work, so I hope it will be just as easy on the Pine.

The sixaxis app has the possibility to emulate screen-touch mapped to buttons of your choosing, so it is possible to make app-profiles thats activated when the game is launched.
The DS4 controllers allso have a touchpad to navigate the menu of games not made for gamepad.

Sorry if this seems like advertisement of spesific apps. Thats not the intention. Just telling the community of my experience with gamecontrollers for android.
I think I have used the same method with a DS3 it worked fairly well but that was on a Galaxy Tablet
(02-03-2016, 04:26 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 01:16 PM)Tarjei85 Wrote: I'm currently using two DualShock4 controllers on my android tablet and are going to go for the android OS for my Pine. I assume it will work.

I think I have used the same method with a DS3 it worked fairly well but that was on a Galaxy Tablet

I am using it on a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition, but i dont see how it will be any different on the pine. It took me some time to tweak it to work 100% with the games I wanted it to work with, but when it comes to emulators it have worked with every single one of them.
Remix OS worked on the Wii U Pro Controller but you need an adapter for it.

TechieManny   Shy

Tarjei85, you mention using PS4 controllers, but need to be rooted in order to use the sixaxis app. Can you expand on this? I know of rooting mainly from phones, giving you more access than the cell phone providers will allow. Are we not essentially rooted on the Pine though, since we are installing the OS ourselves? Or are you stating need to be rooted since you are using a tablet?

Have you tried using PS3 or PS4 controllers with the Pine yet? If no rooting, do I just go search for the sixaxis app from my Pine? Thanks.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
(05-03-2016, 08:48 AM)montero65 Wrote: Tarjei85, you mention using PS4 controllers, but need to be rooted in order to use the sixaxis app.  Can you expand on this?  I know of rooting mainly from phones, giving you more access than the cell phone providers will allow.  Are we not essentially rooted on the Pine though, since we are installing the OS ourselves?  Or are you stating need to be rooted since you are using a tablet?

Have you tried using PS3 or PS4 controllers with the Pine yet?  If no rooting, do I just go search for the sixaxis app from my Pine?  Thanks.

We need to have some sort of superSU to manage what apps to allow root access, and we need the sixaxis app to gain root access. This is because the way sixaxis works. It DISABLES bluetooth and start some services to take co troll over the BT module and use the input as we choose in the settings of the sixaxis app.

The 20160428 build of Android thats available on the wiki (it is in beta) have SuperSU preinstalled, and I am able to get root access validated. The only problem is that the BT module is no longer working. So back to square one Wink

Still not able to get the PS4 controllers to work with he Pine.
I guess I will need to wait for the non-beta version of ××0428 build or maby even the next buildnumber (as long it is Android 5.1.1, as thats the latest Android version with known exploits to gain root)
The Xbox360 controller works flawlessly out of the box in Android.

Just wanted to add this to this list. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine A64 - Android Game station project octopus 22 37,237 07-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Last Post: octopus