[WIP] Sailfish OS Alpha
Hello dear piners!
First of all a big thanks for Adam Pigg and Danct12 who made a lot of the initial work, without which this would not be possible.

I've been working on Sailfish OS the last couple of days and there is something somewhat presentable now. Be WARNED as this build has some issues:

Things that do not work:
Sound
Volume buttons
Browser (another one is included)
Plymouth boot splash
Attachable keyboard
Camera
Battery life is probably really bad

That being said it's quite usable for me already and since I'll be having a bit less time to work on it, someone might help a bit with that. Not all things have PRs for upstream currently. I'll hope to write them soon. There will be an image, that I took from my SD card for you at the end of this. The card is a 16gb one, so beware if you're using something smaller.

THIS A LENGTHY AND QUITE CUMBERSOME THING TO DO, BE WARNED THAT IT MAY BE BEST TO WAIT FOR A TIME UNTIL THINGS IMPROVE UPSTREAM. I'VE DONE ALL THE BUILD ON ARCH, SO STUFF MAY VARY FOR YOUR DISTRO.

Ok let's start.

1. Get the flash.it script from https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it and flash a SD card with the pinetab image.
2. In the mean time get the kernel I patched for sfos from: https://github.com/peperjohnny/linux-pine64-sfos
3. You will need to build this kernel yourself, as the changes in porter upstream are missing as of today.
Code:
cd linux-pine64-sfos
export ARCH=arm64
export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
export LOCALVERSION=-sfos
make clean
make defconfig KBUILD_DEFCONFIG=config
make -j4 Image modules dtbs
4. Create a folder named linux_modules. Please note that you have to change the path Wink
Code:
make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=path_to/linux_modules/
5. By this time the flashing of your sd card is hopefully done. Mount the boot and data partitions and copy the following files:
Image from arch/arm64/boot/Image to the root of the boot partition.
arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pinetab.dtb and arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-a64-pinetab.dts to the root of the boot partition.
Modules from ../linux_modules to /lib/modules on the data partition.
6. Now we need some firmware for Bluetooth and camera (Camera does not work currently)
Code:
git clone https://megous.com/git/linux-firmware
git clone https://github.com/pmsourcedump/ov5640
7. Copy the folder ov5640 to /lib/firmware on the data partition.
Copy the folder rtl_bt to /lib/firmware on the data partition.
8. Open the /var/lib/environment/compositor/droid-hal-device.conf with your favourite editor and change the last line to event1.
9. Create two files under /home/nemo/ .jolla-startupwizard-done and .jolla-startupwizard-usersession-done with owner nemo and group privileg. They need to be empty. We need those files because at this time, you will lack some packages which won't show you some icons.
10. Unmount the sd card and put it in your Pinetab. It make take a while but it should boot now. Please note there is no boot splash screen at the time of writing.
11. Once in the system connect to a wifi and go to developer tools to set a password. This will be your sudo or devel-su as it's called in sfos password.
12. Open the terminal app and install the missing icons with:
Code:
devel-su zypper install sailfish-content-graphics-default-z1.0
With the completed installation you can reboot the device once more and should have all the missing icons.

You should now be able to have a somewhat working Sailfish OS install Wink

Now for those of you who aren't inclined to this monumental work I took an image from my sd card which should be usable too. http://peperjohnny.org/dl/sfos_alpha2.img.gz

I hope to upstream those things as soon as possible, but that may take some time unfortunately.
Really appreciate this and will start work on this right away.

Installed and working a treat - nice work

Time to start squashing some bugs

Really nice on the Pinetab
Uodates

sorted sound via alsamixer
took a bit.of.fiddling around
email insyalled and working too

1 less worru
works really well after few hours
(10-18-2020, 11:03 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Uodates

1 less worru
How did you sort out the alsamixer stuff? I've been fiddling around a bit, but had no luck so far.
(10-19-2020, 01:59 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:

1 less worru
How did you sort out the alsamixer stuff? I've been fiddling around a bit, but had no luck so far.
Well it is a nightmare and guess work 
First install 

pkcon install alsa
-utils

then run 

alsamixer

use the tab keys on the terminal to tab through and unmute all *whilst playing some music obviously!

If I remember rightly it was right towards the end of the sources (press m to unmute/mute) 

It does not seem to survive a restart ( I thought it did but tested just now and it is back to how it was) 

Learnt this with the shipped ubuntu touch image.

If I could do a screen shot I would show you...but keep tabbing to the right an unmute all (except one mic which will whistle!) If you have not used it before you also raise the volume up using up/down arrows

I also checked and tried to take a picture (screen shot not possible for some reason - on the to do list!) but even the screenshot of that is too large to upload !

It is the DAC column and the AIF1 columns if you are still lost
(10-19-2020, 03:15 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 01:59 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:

1 less worru
Well it is a nightmare and guess work 
First install 

pkcon install alsa
-utils

then run 

alsamixer

use the tab keys on the terminal to tab through and unmute all *whilst playing some music obviously!

If I remember rightly it was right towards the end of the sources (press m to unmute/mute) 

It does not seem to survive a restart ( I thought it did but tested just now and it is back to how it was) 

Learnt this with the shipped ubuntu touch image.

If I could do a screen shot I would show you...but keep tabbing to the right an unmute all (except one mic which will whistle!) If you have not used it before you also raise the volume up using up/down arrows

I also checked and tried to take a picture (screen shot not possible for some reason - on the to do list!) but even the screenshot of that is too large to upload !

It is the DAC column and the AIF1 columns if you are still lost

So I took note and did the following:
line out
adc digital
aif1 da0
dac for actual volume
dac reversed

Code:
devel-su
mkdir /var/lib/alsa
touch /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
alsamixer
Now do the things needed and get it to an ok volume.
Code:
alsactl store

saves the current volume settings.
Keep in mind this is only a workaround for now.
Really helpful
Two minds - better than one on this.

So what is the next thing we should try to fix ?
(10-19-2020, 09:55 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Really helpful

I'd love for the keyboard and volume rockers to work.
Currently we're working on upstreaming some of the changes, so that people can flash it, without using my image.

Were your BT headphones working now?
(10-19-2020, 10:53 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:

Currently we're working on upstreaming some of the changes, so that people can flash it, without using my image.

Not tested yet. I noticed loads of small bugs btw -
Less access to Jolla store and less apps in Storeman - not sure why - does it spot it is Pinetab?
Could not connect via usb to a pc - developer mode and the Pinetab is not seen by my Ubuntu machine. Probably as it is on the micro sd card I guess.
Volume rockers is a weird one..
I did an upgrade (last night) not sure why now but it did a full upgrade to 3.4 as in some places it said it was 3.3 and some 3.4 - did not break anything
However - this is working for me more enjoyably than Ubuntu Touch - which I have used and enjoyed for years - close enough for me to be tempted to wipe the EMMC!
However I would need to be able to get some music on it and the bluetooth audio and keyboard support to get sorted before then ----well maybe not - I wiped the pinebook pro pretty quickly;-)
(10-19-2020, 11:01 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 10:53 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:

Not tested yet. I noticed loads of small bugs btw -
Less access to Jolla store and less apps in Storeman - not sure why - does it spot it is Pinetab?
Could not connect via usb to a pc - developer mode and the Pinetab is not seen by my Ubuntu machine. Probably as it is on the micro sd card I guess.
Volume rockers is a weird one..
I did an upgrade (last night) not sure why now but it did a full upgrade to 3.4 as in some places it said it was 3.3 and some 3.4 - did not break anything
However - this is working for me more enjoyably than Ubuntu Touch - which I have used and enjoyed for years - close enough for me to be tempted to wipe the EMMC!
However I would need to be able to get some music on it and the bluetooth audio and keyboard support to get sorted before then ----well maybe not - I wiped the pinebook pro pretty quickly;-)
Well
Bluetooth to headphones didn't work
Nor to a speaker
Sound is now persistent
Apps Vs browser confirmation like with Twitter is bust
Could do with landscape mode but terminal landscape works!

Questions are
How to field bugs
Post solutions
Upgrade
How close is pinephone development to pinetab?