Touchscreen deadspots?
Hi all, 

Received my pinetab today and noticed on first boot the top row of the onscreen keyboard was unresponsive and I was unable to enter most things for the setup. Once I got to the desktop I verified that there is a strip that runs the full width that doesn't respond to any touch input. The plastic screen protector also came with a bunch of scratches and fingerprints, removing it did help touch sensitivity somewhat on the rest of the screen but that strip was still dead. On top of that, the keyboard case only a few keys work. I verified with an external keyboard that it can receive those inputs. 

I'm leaning towards a hardware problem (which is a bummer given how long the wait was) but wanted to check to see if anyone else encountered similar and if there's an easy solution. Thanks.

Edit 1: Tested multiple operating systems, problem persists. Screen rotations don't change where the bad strip is. Gotta be a hardware issue, went ahead and submitted a ticket. Am sad.

Edit 2: Attached image to show what I'm talking about. Drawn horizontal lines with gimp roughly covering the possible y-axis points when in landscape mode. Turns out, there's actually two dead strips. When trying to draw in between those two white spots on the bottom input just goes above or below. Sometimes it would cross over due to momentum and gimp approximating things but it's impossible for anything to register inside those bounds Sad

Attached Files
.jpg   pinetab_bad_touchscreen.jpg (Size: 232.74 KB / Downloads: 382)
(09-10-2020, 12:37 PM)quipacorn Wrote: Hi all, 

Received my pinetab today and noticed on first boot the top row of the onscreen keyboard was unresponsive and I was unable to enter most things for the setup. Once I got to the desktop I verified that there is a strip that runs the full width that doesn't respond to any touch input. The plastic screen protector also came with a bunch of scratches and fingerprints, removing it did help touch sensitivity somewhat on the rest of the screen but that strip was still dead. On top of that, the keyboard case only a few keys work. I verified with an external keyboard that it can receive those inputs. 

I'm leaning towards a hardware problem (which is a bummer given how long the wait was) but wanted to check to see if anyone else encountered similar and if there's an easy solution. Thanks.

EDIT: Tested multiple operating systems, problem persists. Screen rotations don't change where the bad strip is. Gotta be a hardware issue, went ahead and submitted a ticket. Am sad.

Is it worth taking it apart and checking the display cable is inserted correctly into the port? I'd imagine it should be easy to pull apart as they were looking to to support additional cards being added.
(09-10-2020, 01:57 PM)SpoofyKid Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 12:37 PM)quipacorn Wrote: Hi all, 

EDIT: Tested multiple operating systems, problem persists. Screen rotations don't change where the bad strip is. Gotta be a hardware issue, went ahead and submitted a ticket. Am sad.

Is it worth taking it apart and checking the display cable is inserted correctly into the port? I'd imagine it should be easy to pull apart as they were looking to to support additional cards being added.

Checked that earlier, re-seated it even, no change Sad
Been a week, still nothing from support. Wonder why they claim a 48 hour response time Sad

Has anyone had any luck with the ticketing system? I know pine64 isn't a traditional company so instant turnaround support isn't a given.

As an update, I bought a functional pinetab from a kind forum member which arrived today. Was able to verify that the keyboard from my original unit is in fact defective by testing with the working unit. So I lost the lottery for both tab and keyboard.

I'm happy to have a working pinetab, but would still like to get my original one repaired/replaced while it's under warranty.
(09-17-2020, 04:07 PM)quipacorn Wrote: Been a week, still nothing from support. Wonder why they claim a 48 hour response time Sad

Has anyone had any luck with the ticketing system? I know pine64 isn't a traditional company so instant turnaround support isn't a given.

As an update, I bought a functional pinetab from a kind forum member which arrived today. Was able to verify that the keyboard from my original unit is in fact defective by testing with the working unit. So I lost the lottery for both tab and keyboard.

I'm happy to have a working pinetab, but would still like to get my original one repaired/replaced while it's under warranty.

Please PM me your ticket number and I will alert support team
(09-19-2020, 02:26 PM)tllim Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 04:07 PM)quipacorn Wrote: Been a week, still nothing from support. Wonder why they claim a 48 hour response time Sad

Please PM me your ticket number and I will alert support team
PM sent, let me know if you need anything else. Thank you!
Been over two weeks, two tickets and one mail to support, nothing. I really wonder why they claim a 48 hour response time...
(09-28-2020, 10:25 AM)strawberryfields Wrote: Been over two weeks, two tickets and one mail to support, nothing. I really wonder why they claim a 48 hour response time...

Do you have a similar issue with a PineTab? 

Even with TL's help support replied once focusing on only one part of my issue (nonworking keyboard) then disappeared again. It's almost been another week of silence. 

I am curious who runs the support. I know that most of pine64 is volunteers so it might just be a person who handles it on their spare time, which would explain a lot. If it's actually a contracted out service, then it's disappointing since they can't even meet their quoted 48 hour response time...

Anyway, it sounds like we're in a similar boat. You can try getting the attention of TL but even with his help you might only get one response :/ best of luck!
Update: Support got back to me today! 10 days after I replied with more information. The delay was from them investigating the issue. Have to send the defective unit to them in California then after they look at it they'll send me a working unit. My confidence for a quick turnaround after sending it in is low, but it's progress!
Update: Support finally replied saying the received my defective unit and to verify address for a replacement unit. So all in all, a little over a month from ticket start to resolution (assuming they ship out replacement soon).