Camera support progress
The camera setup script had a bug uncovered by the latest kernel update, should be working fine now Smile
(07-22-2020, 06:18 PM)a-wai Wrote: The camera setup script had a bug uncovered by the latest kernel update, should be working fine now Smile

Yes, @a-wai today pinhole is up!
where's your camera setup script? want to see if dropping it in will fix the camera in ArchARM

nevermind, I found it here:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/pinep...a-setup.sh
Photo 
Ok, not sure if I  am following this proerly.
After flashing Mobian, I get low quality images
For example (image is cropped, just to show resolution):

[Image: Croppen-PP.png]

Same picture from iphone:
[Image: IMG-4197.jpg]

So I tried to install apt install gnome-camera, but I got an error:
Quote: E: Unable to locate package gnome-camera

So, I tried: sudo apt install pinehole and I got:

Quote:pinhole is already the newest version

So, is now pinehole the software that comes with the nightly distribution?

Is there anything else we can do to improve the image quality?
(08-10-2020, 10:39 AM)daniel Wrote: Is there anything else we can do to improve the image quality?
As stated on the first post of this thread this can be seen as a technology preview.
The example photograph you took, needs desperately autofocus, which I don't think we will be seeing in the near future.
Have you tried a landscape on a sunny day, or a well lit scene?
Maybe you get then better results, though probably not comparable with others phones in the market.
(08-10-2020, 11:17 AM)fernando_c_m Wrote: The example photograph you took, needs desperately autofocus, which I don't think we will be seeing in the near future.

How long are you thinking?

I never had Rasberry pi or any other single board computer. However, from what I read in this forum, these should be similar to pinephone.

Does raspberry pi have a camera? are the images good? can developers just adopt the software?

my questions might be naive, but I think that they cant be that different

any thought?
(08-10-2020, 11:17 AM)fernando_c_m Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 10:39 AM)daniel Wrote: Is there anything else we can do to improve the image quality?
As stated on the first post of this thread this can be seen as a technology preview.
The example photograph you took, needs desperately autofocus, which I don't think we will be seeing in the near future.
Have you tried a landscape on a sunny day, or a well lit scene?
Maybe you get then better results, though probably not comparable with others phones in the market.
I have a weird feeling
The website is clear this is a project, but It is not clear to me if pinephone is a dream or can come functional if a reasonable frame of time
(08-10-2020, 12:56 PM)natasha Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 11:17 AM)fernando_c_m Wrote: The example photograph you took, needs desperately autofocus, which I don't think we will be seeing in the near future.

I never had Rasberry pi or any other single board computer. However, from what I read in this forum, these should be similar to pinephone.

Does raspberry pi have a camera? are the images good? can developers just adopt the software?

any thought?
How long does it take depends on how much camera know-how is available and development hours expent on the subject.

A camera can be connected to the raspberry pi, but the applications there are rather different from what you would expect of a phone.

I hope we could have manual focus in the next few months.
Implementing usable WDR or autofocus algorithms will take much longer.
(08-10-2020, 01:41 PM)fernando_c_m Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 12:56 PM)natasha Wrote:

any thought?
How long does it take depends on how much camera know-how is available and development hours expent on the subject.

A camera can be connected to the raspberry pi, but the applications there are rather different from what you would expect of a phone.

I hope we could have manual focus in the next few months.
Implementing usable WDR or autofocus algorithms will take much longer.
Thank you for your reply!
I am sorry to insist, and I know that insisting will not make the camera suddenly work
I just try to understand why it is so difficult when other similar devices already have working cameras .
Any Linux computer can accept a camera and they work at the very highest resolution, autofocus, adjust light, etc
I just checked and pinebook also has a camera. I don't know if works or not, but if does, should be the same? it is also an arm
(08-10-2020, 02:27 PM)natasha Wrote: Thank you for your reply!
I am sorry to insist, and I know that insisting will not make the camera suddenly work
I just try to understand why it is so difficult when other similar devices already have working cameras .
Any Linux computer can accept a camera and they work at the very highest resolution, autofocus, adjust light, etc
I just checked and pinebook also has a camera. I don't know if works or not, but if does, should be the same? it is also an arm
First of all you need kernel support for your camera device. There are currently some features which are not supported, like autofocus and some resolutions and framerate settings if we talk of the rear camera.

Then you need a user interface to handle the images that the kernel driver generates. Pinhole is at a very basic stage. It has to be developed further.

Cheese has been out there for some time, mostly used for webcams. I would say it is mature enough. It needs to be modified though in order to be able to handle the camera image on the pinephone (at least the last time I tried).

Things are not so easy as they may seem. : )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The program doesn`t detect the camera blag0rag 2 178 02-15-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Could not initialize OpenGL support jojuma 1 250 01-17-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,117 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Trying the camera switch on my PinePhone gilwood 5 3,178 04-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Last Post: jhasler
  Bluetooth audio support? Zebulon Walton 5 3,513 02-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mainline MMS Support?? tyha 2 1,985 01-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  mobian, pinephone camera, and megapixels dawg161 32 28,282 05-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Last Post: NormandC
  no camera,streaming after update rvh 0 1,562 03-21-2021, 08:02 AM
Last Post: rvh
  PSA: Transition in progress - don't update ! a-wai 46 45,028 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Gribouille
  Progress (and Thank you) Zoomzit 0 1,623 11-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Zoomzit