Which cooling is required?
Right now I only have two modules installed on my cluster board, and it's only for experimentation, don't know about the loads yet. Will the modules reboot or just slow down if over-heated? Does the pine64 store sell cooling equipment for the modules? I didn't see anything when I ordered. :d
I don't think there is any cooling equipment. You can probably use the heatsinks for the pine64/rock64 - those silver ones are pretty compact and should fit between the slots. I had some different ones handy and put them on.

The A64 CPU has thermal throttling... just like on your phone or tablet. When it gets somewhere in the order of 80c, it will slow down to avoid meltdown, and can be left in that state - not sure if it's indefinite, but can be left in that state for long periods. I'm eventually going to install two 90mm fans on top of my clusterboard, so it cools all seven slots down.
(06-06-2020, 04:54 PM)pfeerick Wrote: I don't think there is any cooling equipment. You can probably use the heatsinks for the pine64/rock64 - those silver ones are pretty compact and should fit between the slots. I had some different ones handy and put them on.

The A64 CPU has thermal throttling... just like on your phone or tablet. When it gets somewhere in the order of 80c, it will slow down to avoid meltdown, and can be left in that state - not sure if it's indefinite, but can be left in that state for long periods. I'm eventually going to install two 90mm fans on top of my clusterboard, so it cools all seven slots down.

> but can be left in that state for long periods

Is that long as in an hour, or a day, or a week?

> I'm eventually going to install two 90mm fans on top of my clusterboard, so it cools all seven slots down.

So, you put the clusterboard in a box...?
(06-07-2020, 03:51 AM)ollehar Wrote: Is that long as in an hour, or a day, or a week?

Hours, no problem - I wouldn't think days/weeks... how often do you have your phone CPU maxed out for days on end? :-P As this is the class of processor in these devices - they're ARM processors typically used in tablets.

(06-07-2020, 03:51 AM)ollehar Wrote: So, you put the clusterboard in a box...?

I've been eyeing this case, but it's a bit more than I would want to spend on on 'just a case', plus the shipping will probably be half or more on top of that - and probably more now.

https://www.c4labs.com/product/presale-p...ule-slots/

It's still bare bones at the moment, but I have an metal project box it'll probably go in, with a network switch, the 24v to 5v power adapter I power it with, and a pine64/rock64, as I intend to use it with docker swarms / glusterfs / distcc, so want another node/master as well.
(06-07-2020, 04:23 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 03:51 AM)ollehar Wrote: Is that long as in an hour, or a day, or a week?

Hours, no problem - I wouldn't think days/weeks... how often do you have your phone CPU maxed out for days on end? :-P As this is the class of processor in these devices - they're ARM processors typically used in tablets.

(06-07-2020, 03:51 AM)ollehar Wrote: So, you put the clusterboard in a box...?

I've been eyeing this case, but it's a bit more than I would want to spend on on 'just a case', plus the shipping will probably be half or more on top of that - and probably more now.

https://www.c4labs.com/product/presale-p...ule-slots/

It's still bare bones at the moment, but I have an metal project box it'll probably go in, with a network switch, the 24v to 5v power adapter I power it with, and a pine64/rock64, as I intend to use it with docker swarms / glusterfs / distcc, so want another node/master as well.

OK, thanks! Smile