rp64/OMV crashes when initializing RAID1
Hi,

after some initial shipment problems, I finally managed to assemble my NAS setup:

RockPro64 4GB
2x 4TB Seagate IronWolf 3.5" HDD
PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card
NAS case with fan and Pine64 power supply (5A)

I successfully installed ayufans openmediavault builds (version 0.9.14, tried both armhf and arm64), updated all packages using the web OMV web frontend, enabled SSH access and configured email notifications and SMART monitoring. Then I tried to configure a mdadm RAID1 via the OMV web frontend. During the sync process, at varying times (0.4%, 6%, ...), the setup crashes: timeouts when accessing the web interface, SSH connection not possible/hangs after entering the password, ICMP ping sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (I tried multiple times). Only a reboot reset (power cycle) helps, after which the RAID is in "sync pending" state. I really don't know what to try anymore.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Could it maybe be the power supply? According to Seagate specs, each disk consumes max. 1.6A. How could I debug the issue? What log files should I look at?

Thanks
Ok, tried a vanilla armbian (stretch) with OMV 4 installed via armbian-config. When syncing the raid while being connected via SSH I know get the following kernel panic:

Code:
Message from syslogd@localhost at Nov 18 10:01:47 ...
kernel:[ 75.976355] Internal error: : 96000210 [#1] SMP

kernel:[ 83.247622] BUG: spinlock lockup suspected on CPU#2, scsi_eh_1/284

kernel:[ 83.251260] lock: 0xffffff8009121870, .magic: dead4ead, .owner: scsi_eh_1/284, .owner_cpu: 2

Message from syslogd@localhost at Nov 18 10:03:59 ...
kernel:[ 240.428491] Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks

Booting with pci=nomsi doesn't solve the problem, my rockpro64 just crashes without a warning in this case.
(11-17-2019, 02:43 PM)taube Wrote: Hi,

after some initial shipment problems, I finally managed to assemble my NAS setup:

RockPro64 4GB
2x 4TB Seagate IronWolf 3.5" HDD
PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card
NAS case with fan and Pine64 power supply (5A)

I successfully installed ayufans openmediavault builds (version 0.9.14, tried both armhf and arm64), updated all packages using the web OMV web frontend, enabled SSH access and configured email notifications and SMART monitoring. Then I tried to configure a mdadm RAID1 via the OMV web frontend. During the sync process, at varying times (0.4%, 6%, ...), the setup crashes: timeouts when accessing the web interface, SSH connection not possible/hangs after entering the password, ICMP ping sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (I tried multiple times). Only a reboot reset (power cycle) helps, after which the RAID is in "sync pending" state. I really don't know what to try anymore.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Could it maybe be the power supply? According to Seagate specs, each disk consumes max. 1.6A. How could I debug the issue? What log files should I look at?

Thanks

Have you ever figured out what was going on. I have been trying all day with just 2x250 ssd drives and it keeps crashing while trying to create a raid 1. If i dont create the raid it runs just fine.
[quote pid='56162' dateline='1578620298']
Have you ever figured out what was going on. I have been trying all day with just 2x250 ssd drives and it keeps crashing while trying to create a raid 1. If i dont create the raid it runs just fine.
[/quote]

No, I haven't, unfortunately. I trashed the Pine64 card and that solved it for me. See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8428, where I "continued" this post because the problem seems hardware-related.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Booting official Debian on RP64 arteeh 6 6,203 07-06-2021, 10:16 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Rockpro64 not stable... crashes now and then. Pineapple 18 18,823 02-16-2021, 02:45 PM
Last Post: TRS-80