Detailed NAS Case assembly (ameriDroid)
Star 
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I somehow missed this and it would have been very useful before i put together my NAS box. (I've got it together now but I'm pretty sure I've put the fan in the wrong way as I didn't know which way it would suck from.) In any case I've added a link to this video tutorial into the Wiki now. Thanks for sharing.
(11-07-2018, 03:21 PM)ootoovak Wrote: I somehow missed this and it would have been very useful before i put together my NAS box. (I've got it together now but I'm pretty sure I've put the fan in the wrong way as I didn't know which way it would suck from.) In any case I've added a link to this video tutorial into the Wiki now. Thanks for sharing.

Where did you add it ? perhaps it would be best to embed it into wiki -- don't know how to do it, perhaps you or someone else does.

(11-07-2018, 03:56 PM)Luke Wrote: Where did you add it ?

Right before Step 1, as a link Big Grin  (I don't know a way to get it embedded, not enough wiki editing skills.)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(11-09-2018, 02:52 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 03:56 PM)Luke Wrote: Where did you add it ?

Right before Step 1, as a link Big Grin  (I don't know a way to get it embedded, not enough wiki editing skills.)

Yeah, I would have like to have embed it but as far as I could tell from a quick internet search it seems like it needs a MediaWiki extension installed to embed videos. So who ever hosts the Pine64 Wiki would need to install something like this https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo first.
Are all the cables necessary included with the NAS kit?
What extras should I buy? Only heatsink, fan and power supply?
Will the tall heatsink fit in the enclosure or should I opt for the medium one?
Is the future upgrade of the RockPro64 going to be the same form factor so it will fit in the NAS kit - sort of a future-proof build ?

A few questions that I'd be grateful if someone can help.
(04-13-2019, 06:28 AM)g_t_j Wrote: Are all the cables necessary included with the NAS kit?
Is the future upgrade of the RockPro64 going to be the same form factor so it will fit in the NAS kit - sort of a future-proof build ?

There are two SATA data cables and one 12V to SATA power cable (2 power connector) included with NAS case that enough to power on two HDDs.

You can use the tall or medial height heatsink. Please note that there is only one fan power (controlled) connector, you can either connect to case or CPU heatsink fan.

For power supply, please use 12V 5A type.

We will try to keep the same form factor (model A) on future SBC release.
(04-15-2019, 04:40 PM)tllim Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 06:28 AM)g_t_j Wrote: Are all the cables necessary included with the NAS kit?

There are two SATA data cables and one 12V to SATA power cable (2 power connector) included with NAS case that enough to power on two HDDs.

You can use the tall or medial height heatsink. Please note that there is only one fan power (controlled) connector, you can either connect to case or CPU heatsink fan.

For power supply, please use 12V 5A type.

We will try to keep the same form factor (model A) on future SBC release.

Thanks for the helpful answers TL lim. Much appreciated!

Do I have to worry about the board's revision 1.0 or 2.0? What is it with that extra resistor on rev. 2.0? Am I going to have problems powering the PCIe to SATA card?

Are there any 80mm fan alternatives that will be compatible and more quiet than the one offered?
Does anyone know if 4 HDDs (2 x 3.5 + 2 x 2.5) can be fitted in the case?
(04-24-2019, 03:16 PM)g_t_j Wrote: Does anyone know if 4 HDDs (2 x 3.5 + 2 x 2.5) can be fitted in the case?

It can. You just need to figure out how to power 4 drives. Also (I am stating the obvious) you need a PCIe SATA adapter with 4 ports which would work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone require a apple-sleek NAS case, w/ ample passive cooling & mutliple ssds? dairymilkbatman 0 216 01-19-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: dairymilkbatman
  3D Printed 2 SSD Vertical NAS Case tenox 1 2,123 12-19-2021, 01:30 PM
Last Post: CounterPillow
  [Turorial] NAS Using A Recycled 1U Proliant Case ColPanic_ 1 2,732 06-02-2021, 12:51 AM
Last Post: LMM
  NAS/fileserver project—RP64 in 1U ATX/ITX case (comments welcome!) Skirmisher 10 13,456 04-09-2021, 01:37 AM
Last Post: MNtinkerer
  Ideas to use extra space in NAS case? _hg_ 1 3,262 10-04-2020, 11:42 PM
Last Post: zer0sig