Tool to Control Fan - fanctl
Just after I posted the reply with gcc version , I tried to build again and it worked, status active ! Smile
Now I will try to get the temp a bit up to see if the fan is starting.
I want to mention that I don't have a fan on rockpro64 directly(only a heatsink) , It's the NAS case fan that I try to make it work, but I guess your program is good for that too right?

Thank you !!
(11-10-2018, 11:39 PM)Girbur Wrote: Oh yes 2 question I had
Code:
/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1 set at 100 what should I put as reset value since the tools is controling it again how to install
the latest version of the kernel

You can forget '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1',
Ats controls it, you can change it manually, and ATS will adjust it internally again. [Image: shy.png]

With Relation to new Kernels, indeed, there are at least 2 facilities, without Active cooling.
  • The Normal Situation,
    were temps are good, and no need for Active cooling.
  • Its needed some action, and there are the throttling Option available.
The active cooling facility, should be the second option, and the Throttling situation should be the last resource.

Newer kernels have been put some work on the active cooling, for use of the fan.

In this situation I don't know if it is advisable to have ATS running, maybe they fight against each other..
But better to check, make your tests, with and without ATS.
(11-11-2018, 02:10 AM)dreadbv Wrote: Just after I posted the reply with gcc version , I tried to build again and it worked, status active ! Smile
Now I will try to get the temp a bit up to see if the fan is starting.
I want to mention that I don't have a fan on rockpro64 directly(only a heatsink) , It's the NAS case fan that I try to make it work, but I guess your program is good for that too right?

Thank you !!

You have a older gcc version, the 6.3, the problem was what I expected Shy 
I advise you to upgrade to 7.3 version( it has better support for ARM processors ):

If you want to maintain gcc-6.3 for some reason, you can use 'alternatives'.
First check if gcc is already registered in alternatives, if not, you can always do:
Code:
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-6.3 50 --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-6.3
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-7.3 100  --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-7.3

In this way gcc.7.3 will have a highest priority( 100 ) than gcc-6.3( 50 )

to remove a option, lets say gcc-7.3:

Code:
update-alternatives --remove gcc /usr/bin/gcc-7.3

to change order, just:
Code:
update-alternatives --config gcc

You may need to adapt timers, to better fit your fan specs..
Also you need to look, into current consumption, of the fan, the transistor that drives the pwm for the Fan, has a absolute maximum continuous current of 500 miliAmps.

But this is a maximum, we should operate bellow.

Usually fans conected there, are around 100 miliAmps,
What is the power and current of the Fan you have?
Hey Tuxd3v, thank you for your reply, I have no idea what you wrote, I'm a noob at linux

I have the stock NAS fan that they sell on pine64 store and I just got my package last week.

I have this version of openmediavault installed Stretch armhf [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.9] from http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...re_Release , because this is what folks on pine64 discord channel recommended to use for my needs, a plex media server that can stream 4K among full HD movies and tv series.

I wanted to install you FAN control software because I only have a heatsink on the board and it gets a bit hot on 4k , and was not working by default with this linux release.

I did use a raspberry pi 3 model B before with debian stretch installed and managed to install plex and a web server with the help of "google" Smile) without open media vault, I felt like I would get more performance if I do it manually. For rockpro64 I thought I would give openmediavault a try Smile, but it seems like every time I do an update from "Update Management" or Plugins area of web UI I get tons of errors so I just let it a stock version. Maybe that's why you said that gcc is old.

On raspberry was easy, just apt-get update, upgrade , dist-upgrade and was set Smile, I can't even get plex on latest version with OMV...
(11-12-2018, 01:57 PM)dreadbv Wrote: Hey Tuxd3v, thank you for your reply, I have no idea what you wrote, I'm a noob at linux

I have the stock NAS fan that they sell on pine64 store and I just got my package last week.

I have this version of openmediavault installed Stretch armhf [microSD / eMMC Boot] [0.7.9] from http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...re_Release , because this is what folks on pine64 discord channel recommended to use for my needs, a plex media server that can stream 4K among full HD movies and tv series.

I wanted to install you FAN control software because I only have a heatsink on the board and it gets a bit hot on 4k , and was not working by default with this linux release.

I did use a raspberry pi 3 model B before with debian stretch installed and managed to install plex and a web server with the help of "google" Smile) without open media vault, I felt like I would get more performance if I do it manually. For rockpro64 I thought I would give openmediavault a try Smile, but it seems like every time I do an update from "Update Management" or Plugins area of web UI I get tons of errors so I just let it a stock version. Maybe that's why you said that gcc is old.

On raspberry was easy, just apt-get update, upgrade , dist-upgrade and was set Smile, I can't even get plex on latest version with OMV...

Ok No problem, 
In that situation you should mantain gcc-6.3, and ATS compiles with it already, so no problem..  Shy

You can use the pine64 Nas case fan with ATS,  I think there will be no problems, but you should have a heatsink above the CPU(without fan..).

But please reinstall it again( I added a new profile less aggressive for the size of the fan ) with: After installation, please:
  • Stop Service 
    Code:
    service ats stop

• Edit File /usr/local/sbin/ats
    Change line 68: "profile1", by "profile3"
    save file
  • Start service again:
    service ats start
  • Verify Service status, if its up:
    Code:
    service ats status

In this way, you will have a profile for fan maybe more indicated to the NasCase  Fan Wink
I followed your instructions  and everything is ok

Service is active and running

Thank you
With openmediavault 32 bits works perfect bu I just tried to install on 64 bit and get

Error: Could not find header file for LAUXLIB
No file lauxlib.h in /usr/local/include
No file lauxlib.h in /usr/include
You may have to install LAUXLIB in your system and/or pass LAUXLIB_DIR or LAUXLIB_INCDIR to the luarocks command.
Example: luarocks install ats LAUXLIB_DIR=/usr/local
Hello,

i´ve just gotten my RockPro64 + the Nascase... and i´ve also notived that the fan does not spin up.... 
im a linux noob and somehow im not able to install your fan controll programm... im connected to the RockPro64 with SSH as Root. and when i try to install ist, i geht these  error messages...

Code:
root@rockpro64Nas:~# luarocks build https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tuxd3v/ats/master/ats-master-0.rockspec
Cloning into 'ats'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 16, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (16/16), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (15/15), done.
remote: Total 16 (delta 1), reused 6 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (16/16), 95.96 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1/1), done.
Warning: variable CFLAGS was not passed in build_variables
gcc -c -march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -fPIC -Wall -Werror -O3 -g -I/usr/include/lua5.3  -o src/ats.o src/ats.c
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,ats.so.0 -llua5.3  -o ats.so.0.2 src/ats.o
Install ATS Tool ..................: ats in /usr/local/sbin
Install ATS Service File ..........: ats.service in systemd
Remove previous ATS Library .......: ats.so.* from /usr/local/lib/lua/5.3
Install new ATS Library ...........: ats.so.0.2 in /usr/local/lib/lua/5.3
Create soname symLink .............: ats.so in /usr/local/lib/lua/5.3
Starting ATS Service..
● ats.service - ATS - Active Thermal Service
  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ats.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-11-13 21:18:25 UTC; 978ms a
go
 Process: 14532 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/ats (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 14532 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 13 21:18:25 rockpro64Nas systemd[1]: ats.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 13 21:18:25 rockpro64Nas systemd[1]: ats.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Makefile:46: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 3

Error: Build error: Failed installing.
Could you please help me out? the HDD´s getting to 60°C during my Raid Setup.... i want to avoid HDD damage...

Greetings
Steffen
(11-13-2018, 03:26 PM)stFfn Wrote: the HDD´s getting to 60°C

For a fan on the chassis, install a thermostat eg KSD9700-60-NO, in the fan circuit, when the fan is powered by +12V,
on datasheet KSD9700-60-NO, he close the contact at +60°С, will open at a temperature of +35°С, or KSD9700-55-NO - close +55°С, open +30°С
in reality (burst tolerance), these thermostats is better to choose, KSD9700-40-NO in reality it close 41.8°С, open 36.1°С
they have a hysteresis of about 5 degrees
I personally used a programmable thermostat based on DS1821
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
my Multimedia desktops: ASUS H310T G5500, ODROIDs -XU4, -XU3, -C2, -C1;
my trash BananaPi; RPi B, B+; ODROID-W

(11-13-2018, 11:30 AM)Girbur Wrote: With openmediavault 32 bits works perfect bu I just tried to install on 64 bit and get

Error: Could not find header file for LAUXLIB
 No file lauxlib.h in /usr/local/include
 No file lauxlib.h in /usr/include
You may have to install LAUXLIB in your system and/or pass LAUXLIB_DIR or LAUXLIB_INCDIR to the luarocks command.
Example: luarocks install ats LAUXLIB_DIR=/usr/local

Does you tried first step?
Code:
luarocks build https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tuxd3v/ats/master/ats-master-0.rockspec

What is the output of it?

(11-13-2018, 09:47 AM)dreadbv Wrote: I followed your instructions  and everything is ok

Service is active and running

Thank you

You Welcome! [Image: thumbsup.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWM Fan Control Python Script superbox 0 1,271 02-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Last Post: superbox