Boot from M.2/USB 3
Hi

I want to boot my Rock64 from a M.2 SSD (in a M.2/USB 3 adaptor) using the USB 3 socket of the Rock64. Unfourtunately this did not work. Power supply is a 5 V/5 A lab supply. With the USB 2 instead of the USB 3 socket everything is ok. Is this common? Will a USB 3 hub solve this problem? If yes: Is a passive hub ok? I would prefer a solution without a hub, however. Should I try with another M.2 adaptor and/or M.2 SSD?

Max
(10-09-2018, 03:32 AM)Max_H Wrote: Hi

I want to boot my Rock64 from a M.2 SSD (in a M.2/USB 3 adaptor) using the USB 3 socket of the Rock64. Unfourtunately this did not work. Power supply is a 5 V/5 A lab supply. With the USB 2 instead of the USB 3 socket everything is ok. Is this common? Will a USB 3 hub solve this problem? If yes: Is a passive hub ok? I would prefer a solution without a hub, however. Should I try with another M.2 adaptor and/or M.2 SSD?

Max

This can sound basic but did you do the SPI flashing to enable USB booting? if so im out of ideas, no idea if that works with a hub and in fact i wonder the same myself...
(10-09-2018, 06:29 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

Max

This can sound basic but did you do the SPI flashing to enable USB booting? if so im out of ideas, no idea if that works with a hub and in fact i wonder the same myself...

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did. The M.2 SSD works fine using the USB 2 socket of the Rock64 board. But not the USB 3.
(10-09-2018, 06:33 AM)Max_H Wrote:

Max

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did. The M.2 SSD works fine using the USB 2 socket of the Rock64 board. But not the USB 3.

Max

I did the tests above with a LibreELEC image. Now I tested it with a bionic LXDE image. And with this image the board boots flawlessly. 

BTW: The error message during booting the LibreELEC image are the same I get with my RockPro64 board trying to boot LibreELEC from an emmc: 

grep: /proc/net/pnp: No such file or directory
*** Error: in mount_flash: mount common: Could not mount UUID=210-5509 ***). 

Just the UUID is different.
(10-09-2018, 10:10 AM)Max_H Wrote:

Max

I did the tests above with a LibreELEC image. Now I tested it with a bionic LXDE image. And with this image the board boots flawlessly. 

BTW: The error message during booting the LibreELEC image are the same I get with my RockPro64 board trying to boot LibreELEC from an emmc: 

Just curious, all this with the usb hub in the middle?

Also there was some problem when some people transfered images from SD card to emmc/usb etc and i think the solution was to modify the mount from mmcblk0 to sda1 or something like that, maybe your problem is related, since your error speaks of a mount point problem, i dont know, throwing ideas out of thin air since i cant find the post im refering to...
(10-09-2018, 05:25 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

Max

Also there was some problem when some people transfered images from SD card to emmc/usb etc and i think the solution was to modify the mount from mmcblk0 to sda1 or something like that, maybe your problem is related, since your error speaks of a mount point problem, i dont know, throwing ideas out of thin air since i cant find the post im refering to...
No, without a hub. I have ordered one meanwhile but I'd like to avoid it. It would be larger than the board Wink
Modifying the mount point is a good hint. I will try that. Thanks a lot.
(10-10-2018, 02:52 AM)Max_H Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 06:29 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: This can sound basic but did you do the SPI flashing to enable USB booting? if so im out of ideas, no idea if that works with a hub and in fact i wonder the same myself...

No, without a hub. I have ordered one meanwhile but I'd like to avoid it. It would be larger than the board Wink

There are some really small, and needed sometimes, im using an external hdd and the rock64 cant sustain it without crashing every now and then, its often enough to be annoying (about 3-5 times a week and totally random) and the hdd has no other mean to get the needed power, also there are really small 4 ports powered hubs, the one im using is about half-ish the size of the board...anyway if the mount point idea solves your problem post it here for future reference...
(10-10-2018, 02:52 AM)Max_H Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 06:29 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: This can sound basic but did you do the SPI flashing to enable USB booting? if so im out of ideas, no idea if that works with a hub and in fact i wonder the same myself...

Hi, can you confirm that you've been able to boot consistently from SSD on usb3 with Ubuntu 18.04 + LXDE? This is what I'm trying to get but I can only boot from usb2... Do you also confirm that transfer rates are usb3 speed?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RS-485 CAN HAT Rock won’t boot gnvdude 1 3,080 01-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  Help! Rock64 won't boot anything! trohn_javolta 3 6,225 03-09-2020, 06:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot on power-up vicencb 1 2,848 11-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  can a SD card be used as storage with emmc boot Enzo 9 12,075 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
Bug Rock64 Boot-up Bug with Serial Console Cable MarkHaysHarris777 1 6,671 04-13-2018, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Z80
  SOC getting very hot; no boot. dtkenmo 1 2,958 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Last Post: tllim