ANNOUNCING *BETA* RELEASE OF RECALBOX FOR THE ROCK64
(08-10-2018, 08:04 AM)Danielsan Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 05:26 PM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: RA is retroarch. The current bug affects how emulationstation learns triggers and passes them to retroarch as button mappings. We don't think it's limited to just the rock64, just FYI, and it is only for some controllers (who have their triggers pressure sensitive). 
A possible workaround is to not remap the controller in emulationstation, instead after you start the rom enter the retroarch menu and change the input mappings from that menu instead.

Oh my, what a dumb... Big Grin 

Now I understood and I'll try it,  however my wireless gamepad worked fine with the Alpha release...

Haha Not dumb at all, no such thing as a bad question because someone else would have asked the same thing. 

Much had changed since Alpha, including newer versions of recalbox, retroarch, emulators, and back-end Linux libraries. Technically this "bug" is caused because of an "enhancement" somewhere that allows the triggers to work like axises and be pressure sensitive instead of just another button on/off. Unfortunately retroarch doesn't like that very much. The recalbox team is aware of the issue and has been thinking up fixes. Once they be have something I'll include it in our build.
I was unable to map the pad through the RA setup because the pad did not work properly, I should try to map it through ssh to see if it is going to work however I have not idea about which code each button is... damn... Undecided
I have a weird issue with the beta.. I have the 4GB version of Rock64 with 64GB eMMC.. I used the USB adapter to write the beta image to the eMMC.. All works fine.. I then put a 128GB exFat formated SD card into the slot, then set the storage to use ANYEXTERNAL which it then setup the folder structure on the SD card... Loaded a bunch of my ROMs and foudn the scrapper to be very slow so tried to ssh into it so I could run the fullscrape script but ssh wasn't working.. I checked everything to make sure ssh was enabled.. I finally found what was causing it.. Along the way I also found another bug..

1: You cannot exit recalbox to the terminal.. Using the usual keys to exit recalbox (F4 then Alt-F2), KODI starts up and when you try to exit KODI, recalbox restarts.. You cannot interrupt it, if you try, KODI will just start up again..

2: ssh will not work with an SD card inserted. If you boot up without a SD card in, ssh will work just fine. With an SD card, ssh will not connect at all.
(08-15-2018, 03:58 AM)Wavfact Wrote: I have a weird issue with the beta..  I have the 4GB version of Rock64 with 64GB eMMC.. I used the USB adapter to write the beta image to the eMMC..  All works fine..  I then put a 128GB exFat formated SD card into the slot, then set the storage to use ANYEXTERNAL which it then setup the folder structure on the SD card...    Loaded a bunch of my ROMs and foudn the scrapper to be very slow so tried to ssh into it so I could run the fullscrape script but ssh wasn't working..  I checked everything to make sure ssh was enabled..  I finally found what was causing it..  Along the way I also found another bug..

1: You cannot exit recalbox to the terminal..  Using the usual keys to exit recalbox (F4 then Alt-F2), KODI starts up and when you try to exit KODI, recalbox restarts..  You cannot interrupt it, if you try, KODI will just start up again..

2: ssh will not work with an SD card inserted.  If you boot up without a SD card in, ssh will work just fine.  With an SD card, ssh will not connect at all.

1) It is on purpose.
2) interesting.

I'll let mrfixit2001 comment as to the specifics.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Photo 
Also, was not able to get a serial console to work either.. Would hang at "Starting Kernel" but the Rock64 did boot as I was able to get to it via network shares and the web manager..  This didn't work with or without the SD card..
(08-15-2018, 03:58 AM)Wavfact Wrote: I have a weird issue with the beta..  I have the 4GB version of Rock64 with 64GB eMMC.. I used the USB adapter to write the beta image to the eMMC..  All works fine..  I then put a 128GB exFat formated SD card into the slot, then set the storage to use ANYEXTERNAL which it then setup the folder structure on the SD card...    Loaded a bunch of my ROMs and foudn the scrapper to be very slow so tried to ssh into it so I could run the fullscrape script but ssh wasn't working..  I checked everything to make sure ssh was enabled..  I finally found what was causing it..  Along the way I also found another bug..

1: You cannot exit recalbox to the terminal..  Using the usual keys to exit recalbox (F4 then Alt-F2), KODI starts up and when you try to exit KODI, recalbox restarts..  You cannot interrupt it, if you try, KODI will just start up again..

2: ssh will not work with an SD card inserted.  If you boot up without a SD card in, ssh will work just fine.  With an SD card, ssh will not connect at all.

Thanks for the report and for testing!

Lukas is right, the first issue is on purpose. We want to ensure that if KODI or emulationstation crashes that the user is never left on a blank screen. 

Let me clarify your second issue... I use my SD card more than my emmc and have never had any problem immediately connecting over SSH. However, I've never tested booting from emmc and using SD as external media, the way you're describing. Have you confirmed the IP? Can you browse to the samba share at that same IP? 

To help troubleshoot, use betav1 and use the root samba share (which was removed in beta v2) to pull down the Linux log out of /var. let us know what you find.
I was using the correct IP for SSH as it's the same one I used for the web manager and samba shares. I am using v1 of the Beta..

in /var/log/messages I just have the same string over and over:

Aug 16 09:21:42 RECALBOX user.info kernel: [ 868.784260] dwhdmi-rockchip ff3c0000.hdmi: dw_hdmi_connector_detect

in recalbox the es.log file shows:

lvl2: EmulationStation - v dev, built Jul 25 2018 - 20:29:59
lvl2: Setting local directory to /usr/bin/locale/lang
lvl2: Locals set...
lvl2: Creating surface...
lvl0: Error initializing SDL!
No currently active connector found.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
what(): basic_string::_M_construct null not valid

BTW: es.log seems to be written every second and also es.log.old. They are constantly updated when viewed in file explorer.
I've not tried RA out yet but I have tried the kodi included in the latest recalbox beta. I have a rock64 4GB and I'm booting recalbox off a USB3 / SATA3 SSD and kodi, just like the other two kodi distros I've tried (two different versions of LibreELEC), is very unstable. I don't even have to play a video. If I just browse around the menus, in less than 5 minutes (normally less than 2) kodi will reset my rock64. In its defence, LibreELEC has given me the best video playback experience I've seen on the board yet, its just too unstable for me to use.

I can run ayufans ubuntu (off USB) and stock android off sd card with no such probs, but regular Android kodi is garbage.
(08-16-2018, 03:13 PM)danboid Wrote: I've not tried RA out yet but I have tried the kodi included in the latest recalbox beta. I have a rock64 4GB and I'm booting recalbox off a USB3 / SATA3 SSD and kodi, just like the other two kodi distros I've tried (two different versions of LibreELEC), is very unstable. I don't even have to play a video. If I just browse around the menus, in less than 5 minutes (normally less than 2) kodi will reset my rock64. In its defence, LibreELEC has given me the best video playback experience I've seen on the board yet, its just too unstable for me to use.

I can run ayufans ubuntu (off USB) and stock android off sd card with no such probs, but regular Android kodi is garbage.

Most USB-sata adapters have serious issues with the distros used on rock64 unless used with uas disabled, maybe its not related but its worth to check...afaik armbian and omv disable uas by default on most external drive adapters...and i guess there are very high chances that ayufan does the same...and as a side note im using kodi over the 7.1.2 comunity android build and while android is still crap as you say kodi is working fine imo, what issues do you have?
Maybe I should try running recal off SD card but a big plus for me was that it runs off USB.

I doubt its my SATA adapter thats causing my kodi issue mainly because when I was testing LibreELEC I was running it off SD card or eMMC and it was very unstable then. Also, I've left the RA menu running for 30+ minutes or so with no crashes and kodi crashes when the drive isn't being used. I also bought the recommended LSxxx (I can't remember the chipset number) USB SATA chipset. It is very good - faster than the other 2 I have.

kodi under (stiock 8.1) Android didn't seem to be using hw accel decoding as the video playback was very sluggish. The only half-way decent video playback I've achieved under rock64 Android so far has been using the included Media Centre player. I have not had any success in getting ayufans Android build to run yet tho maybe thats better? Can I not dd it onto a disk as I have everything else? Maybe it just doesn't like the 4GB model?

If there is an older release of LibreELEC that is known to be more stable yet can still play 4K I'd like to know which version it is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 49 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,236 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 510 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 510 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,960 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,351 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 506 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 563 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,710 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7