it is worth the money
Is the new Pine64 really worth your hard earned money?
Can it generate enough momentum to take over the king of SBCs, the Raspberry Pi 3?
(09-16-2017, 11:10 PM)ciara0 Wrote: Is the new Pine64 really worth your hard earned money?
Can it generate enough momentum to take over the king of SBCs, the Raspberry Pi 3?

You're asking the wrong questions;  always if you ask the wrong questions, you'll get the wrong answers.

Each individual must decide for themselves whether the product and experience were worth the money invested;  but the real question that begs to be asked is, can the Raspberry PI keep up enough momentum to keep from getting run over by the LTS PineA64+ and the new Rock64 ?  The simple answer is no.  The Raspberry PI is going to have to up the anti to stay in the game;  at the moment four of my seven PI(s) have been replaced by two PineA64+ boards, and two Rock64 boards.  Time will tell whether peeps stay with the slower 32bit Raspberry PI with 1G RAM,  or whether they decide to go with a state-of-the-art SBC with 2-4G RAM, faster CPU|GPU, eMMC module, usb3.0, and on-board nor SPI flash boot capability.  The answer is a no-brainer really.

Wink
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
there was an article several months back, i can not remember where i read it but there were people from pi foundation that stated that rpi hardware will see fewer updates to the hardware and more emphasis on becoming a software company, ok just found it,
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/raspberry-pi-future
the google thing will be huge, i've seen some of the very early stuff and i think once it gets refined it could easily bury pine64. pine64 has turned into a company that churns new bits of hardware so fast that they forget about products too quickly. how many units has rpi built, several million. how many has pine64 built? does pine64 put back into the wider community? no doubt that rock64 can beat any rpi hardware , however it was never in rpi business plan to build high spec hardware.
Not sure what the point is. You like Chevy, I like Ford. The age old debate that can never get resolved because people like choices. So, should Pine get in bed with Google to ensure their longevity? Should Pine stop creating forward looking hardware and build their install base on the Pine64? Should Pine's long range goal be to take over the world of SBC in terms of units moved? I'm guessing many of us have both the PI and Rock64 and we use them for different reasons. One of my PIs has a HifiBerry Dac, Volumio running and is used solely for playing music on an old JVC "boombox" like stereo in one room of the house. Sits there, churning away and just works. Will I replace it with the Rock64/Dac combo? Probably not, just to get gigabit ethernet? For music? Not needed, the PI works. Do I think it's better or worse than the Rock64? Never comes up, it's just different and provides a different set of uses/results. Spec wise the Rock64 blows it away but that doesn't negate it's value to me at this point in time.

We need peoples differences expressed. It's a good thing, right? Makes people think, rethink and come up with new ideas and uses for products. At the same time, making recommendations, however odd or out there, might be helpful too. We don't want to tear down without a plan to build up do we?
(09-17-2017, 12:40 AM)dkryder Wrote: there was an article several months back, ...

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/raspberry-pi-future

thanks,  enjoyed the article.  I'm really excited about the turtle rover kickstarter, atm centered around the RPi3.  But I'm thinking along the lines of a Rock-Turtle based around the Rock64 -- possibly with Padi Stamp(s). 

Check out the Turtle Rover here:

I'm thinking that projects like this one will migrate over to SBC(s) with just a bit more power -- sure they start with the RPi3 because that's what everyone knows... but when you need more memory , and more drive space , something else is going to push the RPi out;
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Since I haven't been able to get my 1st gen Pine to run at any more than a snail's pace, I'm reluctant to spend more on them. Most of what I need is small/standard apps (video streaming, mame, etc) and even the PI2 has been fine for those, and will run with almost any sd card.
(10-18-2017, 08:29 PM)evanross Wrote: Since I haven't been able to get my 1st gen Pine to run at any more than a snail's pace, I'm reluctant to spend more on them. Most of what I need is small/standard apps (video streaming, mame, etc) and even the PI2 has been fine for those, and will run with almost any sd card.

...  then you have something considerably wrong in your setup;  perhaps try running a faster SD card ?

Wink
marcushh777    Cool

Lakka is coming to Pine64 and the developer is pretty exited about its power compared to the RPi 3. Like Mark said, check your sd card. Mine was SOOOOOOOOOO slow when using generic cards, but when I switched to a name brand, it sped up ALOT.
(10-19-2017, 09:58 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: Lakka is coming to Pine64 and the developer is pretty exited about its power compared to the RPi 3. Like Mark said, check your sd card. Mine was SOOOOOOOOOO slow when using generic cards, but when I switched to a name brand, it sped up ALOT.

Awesome on Lakka is coming !!!

The Samsung EVO card seems has the best performance and also reliable.
(10-19-2017, 09:58 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: Lakka is coming to Pine64 and the developer is pretty exited about its power compared to the RPi 3. Like Mark said, check your sd card. Mine was SOOOOOOOOOO slow when using generic cards, but when I switched to a name brand, it sped up ALOT.

This is super cool. Do you know this from a private conversation with the devs or has it been announced publicly ? I chatted with Ntemis for a short time just last month and he wrote:  

Quote:<Ntemis> lukasz: pine will take some time as we want to merge all allwinner into one kernel(mainline)+blob 

I know mainline isn't too far off, but I understand that some key elements are still missing ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter