Has anyone taken Puppy for a run?
I received my Pinebook a few weeks ago and have enjoyed playing with it, and of course pulling it apart. It's nice to pull apart something that humans can actually work with, pretty nicely made with no glue. All in all a great platform for hacking. Congrats to the builders and devs, well done. On the default Ubuntu Mate, I installed Misfit3D and Meshlab OK, a couple of 3D packages I use frequently, as well as Openshot and Audacity. Just for fun I installed Red Eclipse and managed to get 4 fps, though I didn't really expect it to even run at all. I tried a few other distros, including Bliss (misnamed in my opinion) and Android and the experience was still disappointing.

Then I remembered there was a Puppy Linux version for ARM. Barry Kauler, the developer of Puppy built an ARM version for the Raspberry Pi, Quirky, this is his post announcing it - http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00441 I have used this on the Pi and it works well so I tried to boot the Pinebook with the image, but without success. Would be interested if anyone else has had a try?  I looked in the Puppy forums and could only find a mention of of the Pine64 board but no post relating to running Quirky on the Pine platform.
Pretty normal that a Pinebook can boot an RPi image since U-Boot bootloaders are completely different.
(09-03-2017, 12:21 PM)martinayotte Wrote: Pretty normal that a Pinebook can boot an RPi image since U-Boot bootloaders are completely different.
Other than the bootloader, is there any reason the image wouldn't run?
Yes, bootloader is the main reason. Maybe also DeviceTree and Video driver.
(09-03-2017, 06:26 PM)CD Xbow Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 12:21 PM)martinayotte Wrote: Pretty normal that a Pinebook can boot an RPi image since U-Boot bootloaders are completely different.
Other than the bootloader, is there any reason the image wouldn't run?

Other than one is a Broadcom SoC and the other is an Allwinner SoC, and that they're completely different, can't think of a single reason.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Thanks guys. I'f it had been a matter of only the bootloader I would have had a go myself, but as it seems the kernel has to be recompiled for each SoC then I'll need to the aid of an expert.