Serial Console: No input
Hello.

I am having issue with one distro so it was suggesting I use the serial console to access to see if the distro was booting correctly.

While I see the distro properly booting, but when I try to log in I am not getting any response when I try to type in.

I am using a Prolific PL2303TA based cable with the following pins

Black cable-----GND
Green cable-----TXD
White cable-----RXD
Red cable -------VCC

I have Green connected to pin 8, White connected to pin 7, and Black connected to pin 6

Any ideas on why there is no input?

Thanks!
(08-19-2017, 09:38 PM)KNERD Wrote: Hello.

I am having issue with one distro so it was suggesting I use the serial console to access to see if the distro was booting correctly.

While I see the distro properly booting, but when I try to log in I am not getting any response when I try to type in.

I am using a Prolific PL2303TA based cable with the following pins

Black cable-----GND
Green cable-----TXD
White cable-----RXD
Red cable -------VCC

I have Green connected to pin 8, White connected to pin 7, and Black connected to pin 6

Any ideas on why there is no input?

Thanks!

If you're using the EXP header pins, and if you've connected to the right pins ( you've counted properly from the correct pin(1) )  then that should work.

When debugging a serial connection the first step is to run a loop-back...   with the echo turned OFF in your terminal software !   ... a simple wire jumper from pin(7) to pin(8).

With the loop-back jumper in place do you see the characters you're typing on your terminal software ?

If so,  then the problem is with your usb ttl bridge cable (pl2303 chip, or connectors).

If not,  then there is a problem with your config, uart setup, minicom terminal software (or other) , something like that.  

So, let's start with the loop-back jumper and go from there.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Thanks for the awesome reply. I was able to finally get input to function.
(08-20-2017, 08:17 AM)KNERD Wrote: Thanks for the awesome reply. I was able to finally get input to function.

wonderful!    Smile

marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Install OpenWrt on A64+ without serial? JuniperFury 5 5,657 12-25-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: guenther
  Cannot ship, need USB SERIAL CONSOLE/PROGRAMMER alternative please JuniperFury 5 6,012 10-29-2021, 07:13 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  small console x0r 0 2,076 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Post: x0r