ir receiver
does anyone know if the ir receiver setup now on sale for the rock64 actually works?  has it even been tested? reason i ask is i have not read any mention of it in reference to rock64 and wonder if that old habit of pine64 in selling things before they have actually been tested is back. thanks.
(07-03-2017, 12:23 PM)dkryder Wrote: does anyone know if the ir receiver setup now on sale for the rock64 actually works?  has it even been tested? reason i ask is i have not read any mention of it in reference to rock64 and wonder if that old habit of pine64 in selling things before they have actually been tested is back. thanks.

hi ,  this has been on my back-burner for about three weeks;  I have tried several times with several controllers, on two OS(s),  to use the IR receiver;  it does not work.

I suspect that it has to be activated in the dts;  but that is just a probable guess.  I'm going to focus on this point this week too;  let's see if we can get it working.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-03-2017, 02:58 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: I have tried several times with several controllers, on two OS(s),  to use the IR receiver;  it does not work.

Linux, I haven't tried it with yet. Stock android that it was shipped with, yes, it does work. Responded to NEC control codes.

And dkryder, was that comment of yours a general one, or specifically about the IR... because that did work on the pine64 when I tested it some time back in the past...   Tongue  Angel
It also works on Linux, you just need something to read and process the /dev/input/eventX device...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
My IR receiver does NOT respond to standard NEC codes.  Also, I do not have a /dev/input/eventX  device.

I do have an /dev/input/event0  device which is a mapping from  by-id ;  by-path.  The event0 device is the keyboard and trackpad combo attached -- logitech k400r;  and it works fine.

I suspect this minimal image is missing a critical driver necessary (or dts) to activate the IR receiver...  um, using ayufan's 0.2.1 image ;
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-04-2017, 03:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: My IR receiver does NOT respond to standard NEC codes.  Also, I do not have a /dev/input/eventX  device.

If you re-read my above message... you'll notice that it was in relation to android, not linux :-P My standard test remote, a 21 key NEC command code emitter, operated 7-8 functions on the android build... scrolling the menu, changing the volume, and putting the system into standby from the remote. Obviously all the buttons would have worked if I was using the correct IR codes for all the buttons.

And I don't have an /dev/input at all... as I have no keyboard plugged in, and there is no definition for the IR receiver, so the kernel doesn't know anything about loading the IR receiver (yet). However, since it works on android, it is merely a configuration issue, and a minor one at that. Since the current build for the rock64 linux distro is now 0.3.1, we've got a little while to go before such luxuries as the IR receiver should be expected to work out of the box Wink
(07-04-2017, 08:56 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 03:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: My IR receiver does NOT respond to standard NEC codes.  Also, I do not have a /dev/input/eventX  device.

If you re-read my above message... you'll notice that it was in relation to android, not linux :-P My standard test remote, a 21 key NEC command code emitter, operated 7-8 functions on the android build... scrolling the menu, changing the volume, and putting the system into standby from the remote. Obviously all the buttons would have worked if I was using the correct IR codes for all the buttons.

And I don't have an /dev/input at all... as I have no keyboard plugged in, and there is no definition for the IR receiver, so the kernel doesn't know anything about loading the IR receiver (yet). However, since it works on android, it is merely a configuration issue, and a minor one at that. Since the current build for the rock64 linux distro is now 0.3.1, we've got a little while to go before such luxuries as the IR receiver should be expected to work out of the box Wink

yeah, the android image I tried was the Chinese default pre image;  tried all NEC codes from my emitter;  none worked !  (no brands, no types, no characters; did not respond)   Others will probably notice this if they have the pre release Chinese Android image.

As far as linux goes, um, no this is not a simple nor trivial matter;  not for most people with common knowledge.  We are going to have to figure out the gpio, figure out the ir block for the dts, and probably have to plug in the module (or compile in the option) for the kernel driver!  

The funny thing is I don't really care;  nor do I expect it to work out-of-box, nor do I expect it to work with a minimal image;  I'm just reporting that it doesn't work !@   Its kinda like that feeling you get when your pre-owned car's cigarette lighter doesn't work, and you're not even a smoker,  but you still want the silly thing to work because its there!   

We'll get the gpio(s) going soon, and I'm sure if my hardware is good the ir receiver will cooperate soon;  but its not cooperating now...  

Blush
marcushh777    Cool

FLIRC IR dongle is the best adapter around. Mine works great with the rock64. You can google them and check out their site or.buy it right off Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  remove ir receiver proj964 0 1,844 10-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: proj964