External DAC
Gé, glad to hear you and Xalius made progress on this. I will give it a go when my DAC and Pine board arrives.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hi guys,
Any news, updates... and even pics of the pine/DAC combo?
Thanks!
I have a prototype DAC board and was able to get it working with the current BSP kerenl, I can post some pictures later. A Volumio developer also has one and got the analog DAC working fine, but there was some trouble with SPDIF. At the moment I am a bit short of free time since so much (Pinebook, Rock64...) is happening at once, but if someone else wants to hack on this Tl Lim can probably provide one or two more DAC board samples....
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-24-2017, 03:20 AM)cr2016 Wrote: Hi guys,
Thanks!

IF you want to get this i have suggest to you , is  sleep .
The dac board will show in to your home  Big Grin.
This is the story for some one  need the Pinea64 dac board , He can dream the pinea64 dac board in has home .
Go back to your bed room sleep the good dream.   Big Grin
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

(06-24-2017, 03:20 AM)cr2016 Wrote: Hi guys,
Thanks!

Hi,
as Xalius wrote already, I received a prototype DAC for the Volumio team and I used it to build a prototype image for testing.
RCA is was working perfectly, but there was an issue with SPDIF. 
I did not publish anything, because the DAC had not gone into production yet, so nobody was able to test it anyway. 
This will now change as DAC's my become available soon, I will re-build an image with RCA out and hopefully SPDIF. 
If the latter is not ready, I will build a pre-release image with RCA only for people to test with when they have a prototype (or even a production) unit.
I hope to post a link here sometime this week.

-- Gé --
Codekipper from the linux-suxni community also has a sample DAC board and told me he got both SPDIF and I2S working with his mainline linux test branch, but had some distortion issues he wanted to investigate.

https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunx...its/totest
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-25-2017, 04:25 PM)xalius Wrote: Codekipper from the linux-suxni community also has a sample DAC board and told me he got both SPDIF and I2S working with his mainline linux test branch, but had some distortion issues he wanted to investigate.

https://github.com/codekipper/linux-sunx...its/totest

Thanks, I'll have a look at his changes for spdif then...
Thanks for the updates and for your work!
Hope this long project will be alive soon... Already several working DACs in the wild.
Cheers,
I set up volumio with the new DAC (I assume this is how the production unit will look - attached a picture) and a 512mb Pine64, and it works really really well. Streaming from both iOS and Android devices is super snappy; I am yet to play something from the web GUI - I will update this post when I have further impressions when after I try out a web-radio.

If the DAC is priced right, then the 512mb board + the DAC will be a steal IMO.

Three things I wish to report (not necessarily related to volumio or the DAC): 1) I couldn't get any of my wifi dongles to work (will try to install realtek drives manually - I got it working in the past); 2) every third or fourth song there is a 3-4sec hitch (could be network related); 3) digital out didn't work for me.

[Image: sDc5Gio.jpg]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hi Lukasz, 
what wifi module where you using? The longsleep repo has a few drivers for them and I enabled whatever was there. While building Volumio, firmware is being added for realtek and others. I'm not claiming all available dongles will work (they don't), need to check which ones I used.
As for the hickups, it is known to happen with some platforms while volumio is still indexing the library.
Your still have that issue?
Glad the connectors have been turned horizontally on the production model.

-- Gé --

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Popping on SPDIF - External DAC mjgoode 3 9,128 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Last Post: TrisWood