First Impressions
(06-23-2017, 05:12 AM)Luke Wrote: Regarding sound volume, take a look at Xalius' response here if you haven't already.

Thanks, Luke, that took care of the volume (the speakers still remain on when headphone plugged in).

- Brent -
(06-23-2017, 07:10 AM)brentashley Wrote:
(06-23-2017, 05:12 AM)Luke Wrote: Regarding sound volume, take a look at Xalius' response here if you haven't already.

Thanks, Luke, that took care of the volume (the speakers still remain on when headphone plugged in).

- Brent -

yep, there is no headphone auto-detect yet in Linux (works in android). You can use a alsamixer gui utility to quickly switch sound settings on and off. The Q4OS has a very nice KDE gui utility for alsa settings (cant remember the name).
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Well, I finally got my PB on Tuesday 27 June and the first thing I have done was to install KDE Plasma desktop to check if it works at all. It worked, but after a while I figured out that it is not for everyday use. Then I dist-upgraded to Zesty Zepus. After upgrading, my bluetooth mouse stopped working, so I tried to boot to Android 7.1 from SDcard. It was incredibly slow from my Kingston 32 GB Class 10 card, so I installed Android 6.0 to emmc. The installer was very interesting, it installed without any question and any notice Smile

Now, Android 6.0 is finally the system that runs quite fine, like I expect to run for everyday use. I installed all the apps I use on my phone and tablet like Firefox, Facebook, Messenger, Google Photos, ICQ, Skype, Hangouts, Maps, Maps.ME, Spotify, Kiosk Play, Google Books, Calendar, Keep, Gmail, Total Commander, Nova Launcher, WPS, etc and it is usable for now. I also uninstalled all the unnecessary apps like stock calendar, gallery, videos, etc. I think it runs similar like on my LG G Pad 8.3 tablet or older LG L90 phone. I will see later after installing the rest of the apps.

edit: I was quite surprised by one dead pixel I noticed yesterday. It is not so big problem, but is it not like that the displays used in Pinebook are a little faulty from the start and this is why PB is so cheap?
i've read articles about how those high quality retina panels that apple uses are not without defects it's just that apple uses machines & a whole slew of people to catch the defects before they ship. since the pinebook panels for the most part are getting favorable review for being of decent quality the fact that some defects make it through and into a finished product is more a function of quality control being less robust than some manufacturers. i seriously doubt the pinebook panels are the leftover sloppy seconds of some prior manufacturing run rather budget panels are just that and owners should not expect a flawless product in return for ~$100US. people should expect that they get what they paid for for the most part.
My first impression was that I almost crrap my pants when I saw that it didn't charge at all. After that, I've saw this post : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4632 . After the laptop was charged completed and was able to use it, I was the happiest person alive.
You may listen to music, browse websites, view movies without a problem, the batteries work more then 6+ hours if you just play with the terminal or listen music, browse a website or two. Its very light, nice design.
A few downsides are the fact that if you watch a movie on YouTube in HD, it might not work, but this is most probably because of some missconfiguration from my side or need to update some things. Another downside is that the sounds are very low. But this can be changeble as there are a few threads here that talk about this.
All these downsides can be changed after we (as a communitry) talk about this and find out solutions.
I am very happy about the latop, it's open source, you may do anything on it with a little knowledge.
(06-29-2017, 08:03 PM)alexandru Wrote: My first impression was that I almost crrap my pants when I saw that it didn't charge at all. After that, I've saw this post : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4632 . After the laptop was charged completed and was able to use it, I was the happiest person alive.
You may listen to music, browse websites, view movies without a problem, the batteries work more then 6+ hours if you just play with the terminal or listen music, browse a website or two. Its very light, nice design.
A few downsides are the fact that if you watch a movie on YouTube in HD, it might not work, but this is most probably because of some missconfiguration from my side or need to update some things. Another downside is that the sounds are very low. But this can be changeble as there are a few threads here that talk about this.
All these downsides can be changed after we (as a communitry) talk about this and find out solutions.
I am very happy about the latop, it's open source, you may do anything on it with a little knowledge.

Which OS are you using, when playing movies? I tried Youtube in Linux and it was not usable.
(06-30-2017, 01:27 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 08:03 PM)alexandru Wrote: My first impression was that I almost crrap my pants when I saw that it didn't charge at all. After that, I've saw this post : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4632 . After the laptop was charged completed and was able to use it, I was the happiest person alive.

Which OS are you using, when playing movies? I tried Youtube in Linux and it was not usable.
I am using : Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS \n \l
The fix that I used was this one : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid27768
I am able to see movies on YT changing some default settings in Firefox and installing a plugin related to VLC and it works just fine and withot loosing frames, etc.

There are some useful threads in here, I can suggest that you might take a look around the forum.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New pinebook owner - first impressions rhialto 3 4,432 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Pinebook, (very) first impressions Surehand53 1 2,927 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Luke
Thumbs Up my first impressions llornkcor0 1 2,439 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pinebook first impressions Pagliacci 11 10,427 09-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Last Post: kuszinger