ANy working IoT installs?
???

Ran into every error posted in this forum. Though nothing has been resolved and forum is quiet.
unless things are being done quietly behind the scenes in contacts between pine64 and microsoft about this windows iot , it seems that for the time being any significant development is just not happening. to be honest, i've seen win iot on a minnowboard and was not that terribly impressed.
(03-07-2017, 11:24 PM)dkryder Wrote: unless things are being done quietly behind the scenes in contacts between pine64 and microsoft about this windows iot , it seems that for the time being any significant development is just not happening. to be honest, i've seen win iot on a minnowboard and was not that terribly impressed.

With all honesty, if not bluntness, Win IoT is technical bologna ...

... Win IoT on every platform I used so far, is just the old story of Embrace, Extend, Extinguish !

Win IoT was a little different in that if they could take ahold of it, 'they' could leverage the SBC(s) and various Arm SoC(s) to lock everyone into 'their' cloud services... fortunately this is failing.

Nobody really wants to embed Win on anything;  the only draw is for Win developers who could possibly leverage their Win development skills to do IoT programming without having to learn gnu+linux or Arm, Droid, whatever...

... again, fortunately, this is failing everywhere. Win IoT really isn't getting the attention it needs from the vendors, neither is it getting the attention that it needs from Microsoft; consequently, ....   and by the way, I can't help either/  have not used a Windows system for anything since 1998.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
i do not follow windows ecosystem much. i do have a laptop that runs it. microsoft keeps screwing it up with the win 10 updates. there are some printers i have that don't run that well from android/linux/etc so i keep win 10 on the laptop. just today i get an email announcing visual studio 2017. how great it is and how it's gonna make my life better. the install crashed about 15 minutes in. there was a time i would have spent hours getting it to install. no longer. i uninstalled that which i could and now just need to forget about it. i been spending some time with openwrt/lede on a onion omega2+ i got off kickstarter a couple months back. i've read differing reviews on the hardware but it's interesting.
(03-08-2017, 11:40 PM)dkryder Wrote: [...] i been spending some time with openwrt/lede on a onion omega2+ i got off kickstarter a couple months back. i've read differing reviews on the hardware but it's interesting.

@dkryder: Is that mainly due to people expecting other linux stuff to work on it, and being stymied by the fact that stuff is missing due to it being squished into a 9MB install? I'd like to see Microsoft do that with Windows... oh wait a minute... that was Windows 3.1!! :-P Thankfully it is possible to netboot, or have rootfs on a USB/microSD, and start getting around those (minor) inconveniences. Wink I have couple, and will be using one of the Omega2+s to run OctoPrint for a 3D printer... can't beat it for size! I was thinking of adding the microSD sockets to the two Omega2s I have, but it looks like there are other parts  (SMD resistors and a few other bits under the tin can Sad ), so it will have to be netboot or USB rootfs for them.

And here's the kicker... I have Windows 10, Visual Studio (pre 2017 aka whatever-the-version-is) and have not had the slightest inclination to even look at Windows 10 IoT on the pine64... so you can perhaps gather from that and earlier comments that the enthusiasm for doing anything Windows IoT related is very low! I'm sure when you try it it is very cool... but I haven't, and am quite happy with my linux and Arduino stuff!  Tongue
@pfeerick, what i experienced on minnowboard turbot, even with a ssd via a lure was considerable lags and inability to hookup to many sensors, but that was a year or so back so it might have gotten better. the omega2+ comes with sd card slot. but, although the device is a good step in right direction for iot control it is not without significant problems it needs to grow out of . current builds b160 to -b163 have many reports of unable to boot/boot loops/bricking/ etc. from those that jumped on it right upon release. the gps modules do not work, onion says it was misplaced capacitor which they suggest user remove, they state they will not replace gps units even after accepting the device fault, reports of other stuff not working. list goes on. but, even with faults it is , for the 9 bucks [omega2+] damn good device. oh heck here i go off topic again, lets see, in comparison to WINDOWS IoT , openwrt/lede, imo are better suited for internet connected devices. there, i mention win IoT. Smile
(03-07-2017, 02:12 PM)jpenberthy Wrote: Ran into every error posted in this forum. Though nothing has been resolved and forum is quiet.

Did you use the latest (?)  Windows10IoT_Pine64.ffu  ?

I started initial work on my Pine64 2G today.  The .FFU archive contains a series of directories that look "normal" for W10IoT, as I see on a RaspberryPie2. 

What did you do to create the SD card? Just copying did not create an SD that caused any boot action ... unless I've missed something.  Next idea is to create a linux SD that will (I hope) verify that the Pine64 is operational.

Earlier comments about W10 IoT being dead in the water are a concern. I'll have to investigate further.
OK, I have an install working with a brand new Sony 16G Class 10 SD, sort of ...

Assuming the Windows IoT stuff is installed on your host PC, there's the IoTCoreImagheHelper app that takes the FFU file and writes it to the SD card.  The card boots and takes about 2 minutes to sort out the initial setup, and eventually displays the  

There's something odd about the USB connections on my card. A mouse and keyboard don't work, and don't show up as Connected Devices, unless I use a powered hub.  Not sure why this happens, but the usual reason on an RPI2 is dragging too much current from the USB.  I'm using a RaspberryPie PSU (5V@2.5A) which should be fine. 

The board eventually allows the mouse to work and I see windows and graphics similar to the RPi2.  

No network or IP address shows up, and at present I have no clue how to set these. Same for setting the RealTime Clock.

The board reports Device Name : minwinpc    same as the RPi2.

It's 2330h and Iv'e had enough for today...
(03-11-2017, 10:37 PM)rallysjd Wrote: OK, I have an install working with a brand new Sony 16G Class 10 SD, sort of ...

Assuming the Windows IoT stuff is installed on your host PC, there's the IoTCoreImagheHelper app that takes the FFU file and writes it to the SD card.  The card boots and takes about 2 minutes to sort out the initial setup, and eventually displays the  

There's something odd about the USB connections on my card. A mouse and keyboard don't work, and don't show up as Connected Devices, unless I use a powered hub.  Not sure why this happens, but the usual reason on an RPI2 is dragging too much current from the USB.  I'm using a RaspberryPie PSU (5V@2.5A) which should be fine. 

The board eventually allows the mouse to work and I see windows and graphics similar to the RPi2.  

No network or IP address shows up, and at present I have no clue how to set these. Same for setting the RealTime Clock.

The board reports Device Name : minwinpc    same as the RPi2.

It's 2330h and Iv'e had enough for today...

What version does it display on the splash screen? I assume you have a valid Ethernet connection to the device?
sorry for getting stuck into my work.
We are keeping working on building win 10 iot core on PINE64.
Because of limited developers working on arm windows in my team even in China, the development progress is less than satisfactory.
Recently, I'm dealing with some Ethernet issues and it works at least. will release an new image based on build 15063.0(RS2) in a few days.