Thoughts on eoma-68 compatability?
eoma68 is a specification for connecting boards to cases.

You can see a crowdfunding campaign here.

Frankly, the pinebook looks a lot better then what they've got. I'd love to see it be compatible with that specification.
(01-02-2017, 09:39 PM)traverseda Wrote: eoma68 is a specification for connecting boards to cases.

You can see a crowdfunding campaign here.

Frankly, the pinebook looks a lot better then what they've got. I'd love to see it be compatible with that specification.

Currently we have no plan to follow on eoma68 specification.
They've got an AW A20 in that setup, which is an old SOC. Besides the 'completely open source, etc' slogan is just meaningless marketing.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Well sure, but the actual SoC is not the bit that I find interesting. Just about any SoC will do for my usage. Well that's not true, but I'm still running an exynos system as my primary.

What's interesting is the standardized connection between the SoC and the hardware case.
(01-04-2017, 06:45 AM)Luke Wrote: They've got an AW A20 in that setup, which is an old SOC. Besides the 'completely open source, etc' slogan is just meaningless marketing.

there are about three misunderstandings in the two sentences you've written, which over the years i have learned are very common to encounter.

regarding the A20: you can read up on why it was chosen at the "picking a processor" update, here: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro...-processor

basically it was (and still is) the lowest-cost easiest option which is entirely libre.  secondly: it's not "open source" it's "libre" and the reasons for going "libre" - as pine64 is discovering when you *don't* go entirely libre - is that the proprietary parts hit you time and time again to constantly cause endless problems that *take up your time*.

my sponsor's business model (thinkpenguin) is based around cutting through all that bullshit by just saying "nope - fed up of supporting proprietary crap, ain't gonna do it".  libre software *just works*.

so please do stop calling libre a "marketing exercise".  it's just not true.  it's a simple straightforward "less hassle" business decision.

thirdly, you may not have been following along with the eoma68 project so you will not be aware that i've just assembled the first RK3288 quad-core prototype with 4GB of RAM and a 32GB eMMC NAND chip.

fourthly, you may also not be aware of the passthrough card which turns any housing into a peripheral for other devices....

there's a lot going on: a lot more than you perceived to be the case.

(01-02-2017, 10:56 PM)tllim Wrote: Currently we have no plan to follow on eoma68 specification.

well, get in touch when you do.  as you're no doubt aware, developing products is expensive.  the less times that you need to do that, the less risk and more profit there is.  i won't have to develop a 15.6in laptop ever again (it took 18 months to design and make) - i only need design a new upgrade Card.

look at the efika mx laptop - or the alwaysinnovating touchbook - both absolutely brilliant... except they were with processors that very *very* quickly became completely outdated, so nobody bought them.  the efika mx laptop cost a QUARTER OF A MILLION to develop  would it not have been so much better if they'd designed those products based around a modular standard so that they could easily be "refreshed" for a fraction of their development cost?

how many people have asked you "can you please do 4GB of RAM?" - but you have to tell them "sorry we can't, the A64 can only do 2GB, we will have to do a total new product design to answer your question"...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDMI Compatability rahlquist 5 8,051 07-29-2017, 02:32 AM
Last Post: qwerty2002
  Ongoing HDMI limited compatability rahlquist 39 49,420 05-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: lbdroid
  Initial Thoughts harveys300@ 4 5,512 06-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: harveys300@