Broken component
Hi

Being a clumsy oaf I have broken the "wedge" part of the touch screen connector on the Pine board.
And being a chemist I don't actually know what it is  called.
Can someone tell me what the component is and how to specify it to get a correct replacement ?
When new technology rolls over, you are either part of the steam roller... or part of the road.
if you are talking the bar that locks down the flexible cable i think the connector is just broken and basically more expensive to replace than the board itself.
(11-01-2016, 04:18 PM)dkryder Wrote: if you are talking the bar that locks down the flexible cable i think the connector is just broken and basically more expensive to replace than the board itself.

Really ? I would think that the locking bar would be obtainable on a replacement connector of some kind. The actual connector appears undamaged. So unless you are paying less than a dollar or so for the boards....

Incidentally, can anyone point me at a video showing EXACTLY how to secure these ?
When new technology rolls over, you are either part of the steam roller... or part of the road.
Jessica, they're FFC-FPC connectors, probably 0.5 mm pitch. If so, this listing on eBay will give you an idea as to price - roughly US$4 for 10 connectors... and I don't fancy your chances of getting the flap on it's own... let alone inserting a new one! :-O Somebody please correct me if that isn't the right connector, but it looks and seems to measure right.

I don't have a video for you, but basically you gently lift the flap up with a fingernail or some other flat object (it will go from flat/horizontal to upright/vertical), slide the ribbon in and under the flap, and then gently press the flap back down. That's all there is to it. It's not like those other annoying ribbon cable connectors where you have to slide a catch out, insert the ribbon and ensure the catchy bit doesn't slide back in, and then once the ribbon is in slide the catch back in.

(11-02-2016, 03:56 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: Really ? I would think that the locking bar would be obtainable on a replacement connector of some kind. The actual connector appears undamaged. So unless you are paying less than a dollar or so for the boards....

Incidentally, can anyone point me at a video showing EXACTLY how to secure these ?
essentially it comes down to what you mean by broken. exactly what is broken about the connector? if that bar has come lose of the connector body then i doubt you can put it back in place. and replacing the whole connector is a challenging task for a seasoned repair person. which means a repair most likely costing more than the board itself.
A Pine64 build with touch screen;

https://youtu.be/1ndF6nEjpzA?t=750

If one snap-in piece of a plastic assembly matches another manufacture, it will be a miracle.
(11-02-2016, 03:56 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 04:18 PM)dkryder Wrote: if you are talking the bar that locks down the flexible cable i think the connector is just broken and basically more expensive to replace than the board itself.

Really ? I would think that the locking bar would be obtainable on a replacement connector of some kind. The actual connector appears undamaged. So unless you are paying less than a dollar or so for the boards....

If your connector latch, black color, still in one pieces, you probably still can adjust it back.
Look on YouTube for Ben Heck's video on connectors. He suggests a fix for this type of ZIF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzGZuIVhY1g
around 23:00
this is a great fix suggestion, although i have never tried it. seems to be probable fix.
thanks for the lead, PakenPine
Jessica,  what I would try is to order an FFC connector from digikey or jameco and 'barrow' the latch from the new connector for the old connector.  

Yes, this will work, if you are very careful.

Just be aware that the new connector and shipping may approach the price of a new board !
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Broken already rebel1988us 1 2,504 05-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Ghost