Camera not recognized
(08-05-2016, 09:47 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: I have communicated with @lex ;  I too get the errors listed above in my tests with the debian image. I am still working with it (plan to be working with it most of Saturday, until I either get it resolved, or turn the doc over to @lex).

He thought my issue was not getting the /dev/video0 device; which is not the case.  I do get the device, just as above, but the stock guvcview does not connect with the device (as above) and the latest guvcview sources will not build (as yet) on my debian image--- trying another image tomorrow.

i agree. i also get /dev/video. i also get the log messages that all is fine as far as the module and the system. i also have the issue with the software not connecting. but, at one point early in the process of trying to get @lex software running i got one image. then i got excited and attempted to move from a 2.0 package to the 2.0.4 package and something happened. he suggested to go back to an earlier pkg but i decided to just wait until a definitive current package is publicized.  i hope with the help @lex is able to get a solid package for debian. thanks to all who are working towards that.
Today I am going to dissect the dependencies on 2.0.4 and find the real problem
Well, after working with this all day (among other things) I came to the conclusion that the dependencies are so badly broken on the latest debian build that it might not be worth trying to straighten them out. I received a PM from @lex stating essentially the same thing, and asking me if I could try the previous image. 

I do have the previous image archived, so I pulled it out and dusted it off.  In the mean time a couple of us were talking about v4l2 and the discussion came around to "what's so special about guvcview?"  Any v4l2 client should work with the camera and the s5k4ec vfe_v4l2 drivers;   vlc, for instance. 

So, I went backward to the previous debian build , replaced the dtb with the camera turned on , and opened up vlc;  low and behold , I had very poor quality video coming from my camera (with horrible artifacts, green streaks, etc) both from the *stream* and from the open capture modes;  very intermittently.  Also, the camera got very hot (it gets warm anyways, I have a heatsink on mine) which was not normal in my experience. 

There appear to be three issues related to running the camera on gnu+linux (I'm using debian):  1) the dtb file enabling the camera, 2) the drivers s5k4ec, and vfe_v4l2,  and 3) the dependencies for building the modified guvcview utility;  that said, the overall issue is that if the camera is enabled, and the drivers are functioning, any v4l2 client should be able to attach to the camera and that is just not happening. 

I am very interested in knowing what @lex did to get guvcview to work *at all* with the dtb and drivers that we have... and I am very interested in knowing why the vlc ( a v4l2 client ) will not work with our dtb and drivers either.

I have tossed the idea back to @lex that perhaps there is a static guvcview that might be built off-board and then made available as a binary blob to alleviate the build headache for people who just want the video to work, but who are not willing to go to all this hassle. I am waiting to hear back from @lex on that.

The other option is to clean up the dependencies in debian, perhaps simplify the build requirements for guvcview. 

PS.  After my camera overheated (what-ever I mean by that) I moved the camera to my desk Android system and opened the camera app...   beautiful color images galore...   Smile

(I'm gonna think about this tomorrow)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I got another question before I will try my luck as well with my camera, I noticed that on the wiki there are two datasheets for HM5065 based cameras but none for the S5K4EC camera, are there more than one camera models shipped or is that just old information? I tried to find a datasheet for the S5K4EC on the web but no luck so far...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
has anything new been done with guvcview? has anything else come in the past 2 months that looks hopeful in getting the camera to work in linux? i set up a image of rooted 5.1 android because i was interested in doing image comparisons with rpi camera ver 1 & 2 & rpi low light along with pine64 camera. i'm able to get images with the S5K4EC. i have not seen any info on the flat flex cable used, i want to bring the camera about 12 inches off the board. the cable looks to be 24pin. not sure of pitch . maybe .5mm is standard?
(09-29-2016, 09:46 PM)dkryder Wrote: has anything new been done with guvcview? has anything else come in the past 2 months that looks hopeful in getting the camera to work in linux?  i set up a image of rooted 5.1 android because i was interested in doing image comparisons with rpi camera ver 1 & 2 & rpi low light along with pine64 camera. i'm able to get images with the S5K4EC.  i have not seen any info on the flat flex cable used, i want to bring the camera about 12 inches off the board.  the cable looks to be 24pin. not sure of pitch . maybe .5mm is standard?

Here is the connector info: http://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/pi...0H=1.5.pdf

You also can fidn more camera info on http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#Datasheet under camera section
(10-02-2016, 02:16 PM)tllim Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 09:46 PM)dkryder Wrote: has anything new been done with guvcview? has anything else come in the past 2 months that looks hopeful in getting the camera to work in linux?  i set up a image of rooted 5.1 android because i was interested in doing image comparisons with rpi camera ver 1 & 2 & rpi low light along with pine64 camera. i'm able to get images with the S5K4EC.  i have not seen any info on the flat flex cable used, i want to bring the camera about 12 inches off the board.  the cable looks to be 24pin. not sure of pitch . maybe .5mm is standard?

Here is the connector info: http://files.pine64.org/doc/datasheet/pi...0H=1.5.pdf

You also can fidn more camera info on http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#Datasheet under camera section
thank you for the information. that provides some good data. the flat camera cable coming of the board has  01  on one side of the connector and  24  on the opposite side. that and a visual count leads me to think 24 pin so that is what i purchased as far as cable & connectors. was not able to find an "extender" so i'm going to fabricate one.
How the heck does one install the camera module? I placed the ribbon cable properly in the connector and locked it in place. I removed the blue lens protector but for the life of me I cannot get it to seat in the camera port place on the play box. The ribbon cable just barely reaches the hole.

Help please.

Mike
Mike, unfortunately, the playbox was designed for a different camera module. Sorry, but the camera module does not fit in the current configuration.

The playbox suffers from several design flaws; the camera is just one of them.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-15-2016, 04:57 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Mike, unfortunately, the playbox was designed for a different camera module. Sorry, but the camera module does not fit in the current configuration.

The playbox suffers from several design flaws; the camera is just one of them.

Well damn! It would have been nice if the store had said as much. I ordered two of them for both my systems. Can I get a refund then? 
Thanks,
Mike
Huh

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB HUB 214b:7000 Not recognized victagayun 0 3,293 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: victagayun