Camera not recognized
Hi my camera, Himax 5 Megapixel Camera Module , on the ORDER #8163248. My pine 64 plus with 2gb ram does not recognize the module. Is anyone else having this problem?

I forgot to mention I am using the latest debian image
(08-03-2016, 10:56 AM)mus1c Wrote: Hi my camera, Himax 5 Megapixel Camera Module , on the ORDER #8163248. My pine 64 plus with 2gb ram does not recognize the module. Is anyone else having this problem?

I forgot to mention I am using the latest debian image

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...era+debian

https://github.com/avafinger/pine64_camera

You may read all of that if you like.  I have tested the procedure and found that it does not work as documented. The process is very involved, is very convoluted, and has 'stuff' missing or taken for granted--- in any case, the /dev/video0 can be created fairly easily, but the stock guvcview does not work, and the instructions for compiling guvcview do not work.  

The dependencies are also VERY involved and unbelievably convoluted for something like this... many of the dependencies for debian are broken... there is no way to resolve them... easily.

For the moment, for most users, using the camera with debian is out of the question.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
If you don't like this camera experience there will be a better alternative soon and some work is been done to refine it and i may provide an Ubuntu Xenial LXDE image if there is enough interest in it (It is a basic image and you can add Apps as you want).
WARNING

The instructions for making the camera module work in debian DO NOT WORK, and are very involved. Don't bother.

This experience has been a nightmare; compilers beware !
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
oh, come'on don't you have arguments? Why scare people and delete my posts?
(08-03-2016, 04:00 PM)@lex Wrote: oh, come'on don't you have arguments? Why scare people and delete my posts?

We should talk off-line.  

... this is no joke; nor is it a joking matter.  Two of us ( I'm a professional software developer and engineer ) spent an entire afternoon trying to build the guvcview on debian without success;  this is unacceptable. If you are going to post instructions and codes, make them easy to follow, easily reproducible, and be accountable for whether they actually work by actually testing them in each environment. Too many people are already grumpy about this... we don't need to make it worse.

We need to private message from here... or email... I am very interested in making this work, but even more so, being able to help others make it work... honestly, right now its a mess.
marcushh777    Cool

Thank you very much, MarkHaysHarris777.

The warning was helpful. Now to test it out, knowing if I fail it is not my fault. I myself love a challenge, though I consider myself as a beginner/intermediate programmer and certainly no mach to the professionals. I have seen you in many threads and I am inspired by your efforts.

God bless The Pine64 Community,
Mus1c
(08-03-2016, 07:26 PM)mus1c Wrote: Thank you very much, MarkHaysHarris777.

The warning was helpful. Now to test it out, knowing if I fail it is not my fault. I myself love a challenge, though I consider myself as a beginner/intermediate programmer and certainly no mach to the professionals. I have seen you in many threads and I am inspired by your efforts.

God bless The Pine64 Community,
Mus1c

Thank you.  @lex and I are going to work through this tomorrow sometime.  I suspect (since he has it working an a debian image) that there may be something honked up on my particular image; and i certainly don't mind starting over to learn this for others first.  

My main point was not to scare people, just to get folks to hold off till we have a definitive set of procedures for getting the camera running cleanly on debian ( then we can post those so that everyone can work from a good procedure and not feel frustrated ).

Feel free to try, and who knows... maybe it will work for you--- but you have been warned.   Smile
marcushh777    Cool

You are correct. I believe there is a new image that was released on 18th @ pine64.pro

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

I was using 7-1-16 version.

I did get stuck where you were at too. I'll download it tomorrow.

(08-03-2016, 09:44 PM)mus1c Wrote: You are correct. I believe there is a new image that was released on 18th @ pine64.pro

I was using 7-1-16 version.

I did get stuck where you were at too. I'll download it tomorrow.

Very good.  I will as well...
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB HUB 214b:7000 Not recognized victagayun 0 3,322 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: victagayun