Poor man's heatsink setup - from 48°C to 35°C (118°F to 95°F)
Hi Wolfenstein.

There is also another detail: They are good. But in terms of raw material content (volume) and air to metal surface, they are lacking in comparison to those shown above.

I have used them extensively in my RaspPi 0-1-2-3 setups. And they work fine. But they will not give you as many delta degrees as a big one will. Unless you install a fan that'll keep you awake at night. And even then: what good is a heatsink if you have a wind turbine?

It's just a matter of the capability to take heat on the flat side, distribute it to the fins and then let the air take the heat away. More material, more fins, more possible heat dissipation.

Have a most wonderful day.
Best regards.

Marc "Duke Justice" Arbour
See my Pine64+ 2GB Poor Man's Heatsink Setup
Hi everybody,

I'm sorry, im a complete noob conrcerning that topic, but can someone tell me if it is possible to ,and if yes how, run a small fan directly from the board?

Thanks in advance
(09-24-2016, 09:30 AM)catman Wrote: Hi everybody,

I'm sorry, im a complete noob conrcerning that topic, but can someone tell me if it is  possible to ,and if yes how, run a small fan directly from the board?

Thanks in advance

It is possible, yes. 

If you pursue this, you will want to get a 5V (volt) DC fan. Size is up to you. Search around and see what you can find on the internet. If you are an electronics hoarder, there's the chance you may already have one lying around. 

Connection wise, consult this. These pinouts correspond with the interfaces on the Pine A64 board. Familiarise yourself with them. You can connect the fan via either the Pi2 or Euler pins. One connection on the fan (typically a red wire) will go to 5V. The other wire (typically black) goes to a ground (GND) pin. If the fan comes without a connector, you may need to solder on some female DuPont wires in order to connect to the pins on the board. But hopefully, the connector already present on the fan will allow you to do this no problems. 

If you use the Pi2 pins, connect 5V (red wire) to pin 4 (or pin 2, but if you have connector on there already, you are going to want to choose pins where 5V and GND are next to each other). Connect ground (black wire) to pin 6 (again, you could also connect the ground wire to a variety of other pins [see pinout] but only pins 4 and 6 are adjacent).

If using the Euler pins, ideal choices are pin 8 for 5V and pin 6 for GND.

This will give you a basic fan setup. Once you're comfortable with that (if you have any questions in the meantime, please ask! This stuff can sound daunting if you've not done it before, but that is literally because you are entering a kind of unknown - everything seems difficult until you've done it), see also Marcus's more technical fan-related threads:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1853
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1854
the tape/paste debate seems to me to be one of those issues that has devotees of both sides stating that their particular choice in material is the best way to go. my conclusion [opinion] is either side , tape or paste, will do the job and one is not necessarily better than the other. one point on the paste i would like to toss out is most [if not all] articles i have read on paste is that the technician should use as thin as possible covering. and i know all techs have their own habits but based on my experience using paste it appears to me that you have a rather large blob of paste which i would think you would have reduced the amount of paste showing during final assembly.
anyway, DukeJustice, nice pictures. Smile
(09-24-2016, 10:47 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(09-24-2016, 09:30 AM)catman Wrote: Hi everybody,

I'm sorry, im a complete noob conrcerning that topic, but can someone tell me if it is  possible to ,and if yes how, run a small fan directly from the board?

Thanks in advance

It is possible, yes. 

If you pursue this, you will want to get a 5V (volt) DC fan. Size is up to you. Search around and see what you can find on the internet. If you are an electronics hoarder, there's the chance you may already have one lying around. 

Connection wise, consult this. These pinouts correspond with the interfaces on the Pine A64 board. Familiarise yourself with them. You can connect the fan via either the Pi2 or Euler pins. One connection on the fan (typically a red wire) will go to 5V. The other wire (typically black) goes to a ground (GND) pin. If the fan comes without a connector, you may need to solder on some female DuPont wires in order to connect to the pins on the board. But hopefully, the connector already present on the fan will allow you to do this no problems. 

If you use the Pi2 pins, connect 5V (red wire) to pin 4 (or pin 2, but if you have connector on there already, you are going to want to choose pins where 5V and GND are next to each other). Connect ground (black wire) to pin 6 (again, you could also connect the ground wire to a variety of other pins [see pinout] but only pins 4 and 6 are adjacent).

If using the Euler pins, ideal choices are pin 8 for 5V and pin 6 for GND.

This will give you a basic fan setup. Once you're comfortable with that (if you have any questions in the meantime, please ask! This stuff can sound daunting if you've not done it before, but that is literally because you are entering a kind of unknown - everything seems difficult until you've done it), see also Marcus's more technical fan-related threads:

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1853
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1854

Thanks. Going to try it out tomorrow.

Catman