LAN/NIC problem
(09-16-2016, 09:48 AM)tkaiser Wrote: In other words: It really looks promising for all those use cases where Pine64+ is a really nice device, benefitting from high GbE performance, virtualization and so on Smile

Virtualization is a bit of a hit and miss so far, at least for me. Although EL2 is there thanks to U-Boot patches, Xen doesn't have an allwinner,sun50i-uart char driver yet, so hard to debug beyond earlyprintk state and KVM fails to run OVMF/EDK-II UEFI. A64 uart doesn't seem to be backwards compatible and recommendation for OVMF failures is "If OVMF fails to boot on QEMU (with KVM), try disabling KVM."  Huh

1Gbps, HW-accelerated virtualization were some of the main reasons I got a Pine64+ and not much luck with either one.
(09-18-2016, 09:16 PM)stepw Wrote: 1Gbps, HW-accelerated virtualization were some of the main reasons I got a Pine64+ and not much luck with either one.

I was referring to KVM: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...20#pid2620
Update on mainline Ethernet driver: montjoie fixed the kernel panic in the meantime and it looks really nicely on H3 boards:

(the 'slow' write speeds are due to the filesharing daemon in question is bottlenecked here being single-threaded and maxing out one CPU core, with Pine64+ results will look better Smile )

Regarding raw iperf3 numbers it depends somewhat on settings (as usual) but I'm pretty confident that we're getting a Mainline Ethernet driver for A64 that will saturate a single GbE line.

Update: Now with larger block sizes (this is more like Windows' Explorer or OS X Finder act):

Sorry about getting off thread, but I borked my Linux Ubuntu, so have to redo my SD card. Is this the latest version I should use, xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20160716-1?

Thanks
(09-20-2016, 04:50 AM)clarkss12 Wrote: Sorry about getting off thread, but I borked my Linux Ubuntu, so have to redo my SD card.  Is this the latest version I should use, xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20160716-1?  

Thanks

Yes, in terms of latest image available. Be sure to update the kernel, uboot and the system as all of them are not up-to-date in the image.
Donate BTC: 3Eav9uqXi8Nx1axb7QjK6xV4km4K9YGv9a
(09-20-2016, 04:55 AM)Terra854 Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 04:50 AM)clarkss12 Wrote: Sorry about getting off thread, but I borked my Linux Ubuntu, so have to redo my SD card.  Is this the latest version I should use, xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20160716-1?  

Thanks

Yes, in terms of latest image available. Be sure to update the kernel, uboot and the system as all of them are not up-to-date in the image.

Thanks Terra854, but I have no idea how to do that.
(09-20-2016, 05:13 AM)clarkss12 Wrote:

With Armbian it would just be an 'apt-get upgrade' (not even necessary at all since our most recent images are all up to date, we released 5.20 days ago containing all the latest and greatest fixes). For longsleep's original Xenial image you have to read through his instructions: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376 (following links and so on -- longsleep chose to use scripts instead of relying on Ubuntu's own mechanism (not only) since he wanted to ensure that all distro bakers that came up with own OS images are also able to provide upgrade mechanisms -- a pretty smart move from the very beginning!)
(09-20-2016, 05:17 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 05:13 AM)clarkss12 Wrote:

With Armbian it would just be an 'apt-get upgrade' (not even necessary at all since our most recent images are all up to date, we released 5.20 days ago containing all the latest and greatest fixes). For longsleep's original Xenial image you have to read through his instructions: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376 (following links and so on -- longsleep chose to use scripts instead of relying on Ubuntu's own mechanism (not only) since he wanted to ensure that all distro bakers that came up with own OS images are also able to provide upgrade mechanisms -- a pretty smart move from the very beginning!)
Ok, gonna give Armbian using the Xenial port a try.   Thanks for the information.
(09-20-2016, 06:05 AM)clarkss12 Wrote: Ok, gonna give Armbian using the Xenial port a try.   Thanks for the information.

But please don't expect anything great compared to longsleep's Xenial build. Will perform and behave almost the same. Main differences: With Armbian you get every update the 'usual way' since we haven an own apt repository so you can just do an 'apt-get upgrade'. On the other hand we do not integrate longsleep's PPA by default so this would require a manual addition (as soon as Pine64 LCD will arrive I will look into that and maybe we provide a script to upgrade to a desktop image sometimes in the future).

Since we're here talking about Ethernet issues: Choosing the Armbian Jessie variant over the 'official' ones is a better idea in this context since there real differences exist due to inapproriate settings used by the 'officials' and you get simply more performance when relying on Armbian (but as explained several times: settings matter, it's easy to 'fix' this with any Linux image around, no need to switch to a different image if you know what you're doing)
Right now, I tried twice to install Armbian_5.20_Pine64_Ubuntu_xenial_3.10.102 on my MicroSD card, using the Win32diskimager and Rufus. Neither method will boot. Is there something I need to do rather than just install the img file??