LAN/NIC problem
(09-12-2016, 07:12 PM)amc2012 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 07:04 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 07:00 PM)clarkss12 Wrote: tkaiser has a lot of knowledge.

Yes, he does have a lot of knowledge !  ... and he also has an enormous ego, a chip on his shoulder, and an attitude. He's a harsh person, and often disrespectful. His knowledge is fantastic-- the rest not so much.

At any rate, he knows what is expected and its up to him to play nice, or not at all.

Yes, Mark. You're the standard by which we should all be judged. How does everyone not see that? 

As a moderator, Mark, you should be above any personal attacks. I think perhaps you need to give yourself a warning here, possibly a time out.

hi amc2012, there is a dramatic difference between a personal attack which is designed to belittle and berate, and a moderation approach which is designed to reconcile and collaborate, in peace. 

My goal as a moderator is to reconcile when possible, to collaborate at all times, and to negotiate 'moderation' and decorum which is polite, respectful, and peaceful (perhaps pleasant). It is a difficult job, and I and the rest of the team do it to the best of our abilities.  Our goal is NEVER personal attack, nor vendetta , nor grudge, nor anything like that.

We are here to moderate;  we are not tyrants, and we are not the enemy.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-12-2016, 11:30 AM)tkaiser Wrote: Do you have a 2GB board?

It's not about network environment, it's about environemtal conditions like supplied voltage. Are you guys able to measure voltage between PHY_VDD33 and GND?

All of my boards are 2G boards, and all of them have rock stable power;  5v @ 2.5A via the euler bus pin(4 5v+) and pin(6 ground).

PHY_VDD33 is easy to measure (its all over that end of the board, several access points).  One of the easiest ways to measure it is where the 3v3-2v5 regulator (reserved for RGMII) might be located ; measure on regulator pin(3) ... see new schematic here

All voltages are measured correct (and stable) as compared between the board that works (GbE) and the board that does not work (GbE). Again both boards are working correctly otherwise, and both boards work brilliantly at 100mb/s.  The board that does not work (GbE) is covered in cold solder joints on the PHY end of the board; I have never seen a commercial board look so bad, actually; but, its measured voltages are correct, clean, and stable.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Not regarding electrics/electronics and the stuff we're talking about. I only have some experiences. Made with a non-working board a few days ago. PSU/voltage was key.

Here the users are around that could help nailing down the problem. Unfortunately one person prevents that all the time. I can not write more since it gets deleted again. He censored a few hours ago the last try to encourage users to measure PHY_VDD33 on their boards while not using Fast Ethernet hacks/'fixes' (since then it's absolutely useless, this has to happen in GbE mode). That's the real problem unfortunately.
(09-13-2016, 12:17 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

Not regarding electrics/electronics and the stuff we're talking about. I only have some experiences. Made with a non-working board a few days ago. PSU/voltage was key.

Here the users are around that could help nailing down the problem. Unfortunately one person prevents that all the time. I can not write more since it gets deleted again. He censored a few hours ago the last try to encourage users to measure PHY_VDD33 on their boards while not using Fast Ethernet hacks/'fixes' (since then it's absolutely useless, this has to happen in GbE mode). That's the real problem unfortunately.

What are you talking about ?

... if you would bother to read my post directly above yours you would notice that I not only encouraged others to measure the PHY_VDD33 , but told them how I did that , and I gave you my results of that measurement ( in GbE mode ).  All voltages normal, solid, and stable.

To prove a claim to be false, all that is needed is one case. I have proven that the VDD33 voltage is not the problem. Why do you keep insisting that it is? This makes little sense.

Do YOU have a solution yet ?
marcushh777    Cool

(09-13-2016, 12:24 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Absolutley no censorship occured at all... none.  Your claims are bogus, and your attacks are lame.

Actually, that's not true, Mark. You admitted yourself above that his post was edited (we would call it censored) for reasons you stated in the subsequent post. 

Just sayin'.
(09-13-2016, 12:37 AM)amc2012 Wrote:
(09-13-2016, 12:24 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Absolutley no censorship occured at all... none.  Your claims are bogus, and your attacks are lame.

Actually, that's not true, Mark. You admitted yourself above that his post was edited (we would call it censored) for reasons you stated in the subsequent post. 

Just sayin'.

None of his technical content was edited, and none of his advice about VDD33 was edited, and none of his bogus claims were edited.  NONE.  What was edited|removed was his personal attack of me.

What was edited was his trolling;  not his technical content.  His technical claim is bogus. And that has been well established. If he has another suggestion to investigate, or if you have a suggestion to investigate, I will comply with the testing.

This thread is closed
marcushh777    Cool

When everyone calms down, I will reopen this thread.  

... Perhaps we can all think about how we will work on this problem rather than attacking each other personally.
marcushh777    Cool

I have keep silence on this GbE topic for a while, and appreciate on parties opinion that have interest into this issue.

1. For recently feedback, We aware that this GbE issue is not affected all board and only to apply to certain percentage of boards.

2. The power supply quality can affected the board GbE perofromance.

3. All the GbE affected boards still can runs well on the 10/100 Mbps Ethernet setup.

4. We recently also discovered there is another vendor board also suffer on this same situation. We have already work with this board vendor on the GbE issue collaboration and has narrow down the cause.

5. Our originally focus is on GbE delay factor and seems like this is not the case.

6. There is RTL8211 patch floating in internet and we have not try out.

Our currently lead on this investigation is toward the power quality that RTL8211 received, namely small voltage ripping wave on the VDD and AVDD line. It seems that certain RTL8211 chip sensitive to this voltage noise. We have testing this theory on the other vendor board and initial results seems works well.

We are collecting more GbE affected Pine A64+ boards and our hardware engineering team are focusing into this path. The focus point is on one inductor (ferrite bead) at one of the VDD power line to RTL8211 chip.

P/S: Appreciate Marcus and Tom kaiser effort on this finding.

Regards,
TL Lim
(09-13-2016, 09:42 AM)tllim Wrote: Our currently lead on this investigation is toward the power quality that RTL8211 received, namely small voltage ripping wave on the VDD and AVDD line. It seems that certain RTL8211 chip sensitive to this voltage noise. We have testing this theory on the other vendor board and initial results seems works well.

We are collecting more GbE affected Pine A64+ boards and our hardware engineering team are focusing into this path. The focus point is on one inductor (ferrite bead) at one of the VDD power line to RTL8211 chip.

Regards,
TL Lim

Thank you, TL! We really appreciate the official update on the GbE issue. Cheers.
(09-13-2016, 09:44 AM)amc2012 Wrote:
(09-13-2016, 09:42 AM)tllim Wrote: Our currently lead on this investigation is toward the power quality that RTL8211 received, namely small voltage ripping wave on the VDD and AVDD line. It seems that certain RTL8211 chip sensitive to this voltage noise. We have testing this theory on the other vendor board and initial results seems works well.

Regards,
TL Lim

Thank you, TL! We really appreciate the official update on the GbE issue. Cheers.

Thank you, TL! Good to know the engineering team is looking into it... very nice!
marcushh777    Cool