LED Does not Remain Lit
When I plug in the power supply that came with my kickstarter pack, the pine64 will show the red LED for about a second before it fades to nothing.  It does the same with other cables.

Is there any other test to try or is this DOA?
(06-27-2016, 07:29 PM)selcar Wrote: When I plug in the power supply that came with my kickstarter pack, the pine64 will show the red LED for about a second before it fades to nothing.  It does the same with other cables.

The red LED directly link to power input, please check your power supply or try another one.
(06-27-2016, 09:42 PM)tllim Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 07:29 PM)selcar Wrote: When I plug in the power supply that came with my kickstarter pack, the pine64 will show the red LED for about a second before it fades to nothing.  It does the same with other cables.

The red LED directly link to power input, please check your power supply or try another one.

It does the same with other cables and power supplies that I have.
(06-28-2016, 04:50 AM)selcar Wrote:

Sounds like some place short circuit and cause the power supply trigger the protection. Please PM me and I will make a replacement.
(06-28-2016, 08:17 PM)tllim Wrote:

Sounds like some place short circuit and cause the power supply trigger the protection. Please PM me and I will make a replacement.
I have a very similar issue. My board turns on with HDMI connection, however it only stays on for ~15 seconds before the LED light resets and then it reboots. This process keeps over and over again till I disconnect the power source. 

I bought the cable accessory and charger accessory. Both produce the same result. Do I have a defective board or am I just missing something?
(06-29-2016, 12:37 AM)KaranP Wrote:

I have a very similar issue. My board turns on with HDMI connection, however it only stays on for ~15 seconds before the LED light resets and then it reboots. This process keeps over and over again till I disconnect the power source. 

I bought the cable accessory and charger accessory. Both produce the same result. Do I have a defective board or am I just missing something?

If stays on 15 seconds, this means the board is not short circuit taht cause power supply protection kick in immediately. From description, I don't think your board is defective, check the power supply and make sure current rating is 2A above and not a "smart" one.
(06-29-2016, 04:52 PM)tllim Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 12:37 AM)KaranP Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 09:42 PM)tllim Wrote: The red LED directly link to power input, please check your power supply or try another one.

If stays on 15 seconds, this means the board is not short circuit taht cause power supply protection kick in immediately. From description, I don't think your board is defective, check the power supply and make sure current rating is 2A above and not a "smart" one.

Whats a "smart" charger? I only use the chargers I ordered as accessory from the website. I ordered the cable, and the wall charger. Both produce the same result. I have tried plugging the USB cable into regular wall chargers, iPad charger, and Ps4. Same results are produced. I have plugged the wall charger provided in many different outlets, again the same results. 

Appreciate the response. 

Thanks
(06-29-2016, 11:20 PM)KaranP Wrote: Whats a "smart" charger? I only use the chargers I ordered as accessory from the website. I ordered the cable, and the wall charger. Both produce the same result. I have tried plugging the USB cable into regular wall chargers, iPad charger, and Ps4. Same results are produced. I have plugged the wall charger provided in many different outlets, again the same results. 

Appreciate the response. 

Thanks

tllim hasn't realised you said you used the official cable and power supply available for the pine64, so will hopefully have something more to add to that soon.

If you are powering up the pine64 from that power supply, with a valid image on the sd card, and there is nothing else plugged into the pine64, and it still does those 15 second reboots, I suspect it is faulty. Does it still do the reboot loop when there is nothing plugged into it at all except for power (if you can tell... maybe the power led goes out for a moment when it reboots?). And do you see anything on the screen before it does reboot when the HDMI is connected?

Smart charger is in reference to a USB power supply/power bank that automatically switches off when there is no load on it, which should not be the case here.
(06-30-2016, 01:13 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 11:20 PM)KaranP Wrote: Whats a "smart" charger? I only use the chargers I ordered as accessory from the website. I ordered the cable, and the wall charger. Both produce the same result. I have tried plugging the USB cable into regular wall chargers, iPad charger, and Ps4. Same results are produced. I have plugged the wall charger provided in many different outlets, again the same results. 

Appreciate the response. 

Thanks

tllim hasn't realised you said you used the official cable and power supply available for the pine64, so will hopefully have something more to add to that soon.

If you are powering up the pine64 from that power supply, with a valid image on the sd card, and there is nothing else plugged into the pine64, and it still does those 15 second reboots, I suspect it is faulty. Does it still do the reboot loop when there is nothing plugged into it at all except for power (if you can tell... maybe the power led goes out for a moment when it reboots?). And do you see anything on the screen before it does reboot when the HDMI is connected?

Smart charger is in reference to a USB power supply/power bank that automatically switches off when there is no load on it, which should not be the case here.

Note that KaranP and selcar (original poster) are different people. 

As for the smart charger, I thought this was where the charger negotiates the best possible power draw for the connected device, provided the device connected is able to talk with the charger and tell it its power requirements via a circuit, which unfortunately the Pine doesn't have, apparently. If optimum power cannot be negotiated, then 500mA is provided as standard for USB. Which would indeed in the case of the Pine cause it to switch off, as you have said.

@KaranP: as pfeerick says, can you be a bit more descriptive regarding what you see (or don't see) on screen during this booting/re-booting process, and what devices you have connected at the time of booting up. Thanks.
(06-30-2016, 01:46 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 01:13 AM)pfeerick Wrote:

Appreciate the response. 

Thanks

Note that KaranP and selcar (original poster) are different people. 

As for the smart charger, I thought this was where the charger negotiates the best possible power draw for the connected device, provided the device connected is able to talk with the charger and tell it its power requirements via a circuit, which unfortunately the Pine doesn't have, apparently. If optimum power cannot be negotiated, then 500mA is provided as standard for USB. Which would indeed in the case of the Pine cause it to switch off, as you have said.

@KaranP: as pfeerick says, can you be a bit more descriptive regarding what you see (or don't see) on screen during this booting/re-booting process, and what devices you have connected at the time of booting up. Thanks.

That is the other form of smart charger logic... but there are a few algorithms they use... some negotiate, some just switch the data pin resistor values and see which combination makes the device suck the must current up, and others also rapidly turn on and off the output (to reset things) as part of that rather dumb auto-detection. 

However, most (if not nearly all) power banks really are just making available their full current capacity, and convincing the device that plugs in that it can draw more than 500ma, as it's onboard governor is what is trying to prevent too much current from being drawn. Even so, I think 500ma would be enough to get the pine64 up and running with no peripherals (even with the wifi module plugged in)... might test that tomorrow with a 500ma current limited supply Big Grin

Thanks for the mention about different posters... that would help confuse a bit also! Wink