no cursor/caret in console?
am currently playing with my boards using longsleeps's ubuntu images.

boards work, well, but for some reason, I've got no text cursor (caret) in the shell/consoles.  (note I'm using HDMI outputs, not uart)

Is this normal? I always use linux from remote ssh or on desktops, so I've never had to play with the core bare metal consoles.

Is there a way to have a cursor (blinking or not) ?   Editing long commands isn't really fun when you're counting letters at each key press Wink

I've googled a bit for this but haven't found anything yet.
20GB 40 core, 10 board compute cluster, in the works.  Cool
(06-27-2016, 12:07 AM)pineacle Wrote: boards work, well, but for some reason, I've got no text cursor (caret) in the shell/consoles.  (note I'm using HDMI outputs, not uart)

Is this normal? 

No. I have the same issue; its a minor annoyance, but I'm going to need to get to the bottom of it too-- I use the F1-F6 consoles regularly, and no cursor is a show stop on those ...

... things to try, console settings ... console font ... console type ... this may have something to do with the lack of a video driver which lenny is working on. Sorry, it hasn't been a high priority for me, so I haven't done any work on it to get to the root cause.

marcus
(06-27-2016, 03:05 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 12:07 AM)pineacle Wrote: boards work, well, but for some reason, I've got no text cursor (caret) in the shell/consoles.  (note I'm using HDMI outputs, not uart)

Is this normal? 

No. I have the same issue; its a minor annoyance, but I'm going to need to get to the bottom of it too-- I use the F1-F6 consoles regularly, and no cursor is a show stop on those ...

... things to try, console settings ... console font ... console type ... this may have something to do with the lack of a video driver which lenny is working on. Sorry, it hasn't been a high priority for me, so I haven't done any work on it to get to the root cause.

marcus

ok  at least I know I'm not alone  :-)

I was finaly able to get mate desktop working (tried for 2 days installing different desktops, but never noticed the disk resizing command before yesterday evening.) at least I get a blinking cursor there (and mouse copy/paste, yay).

I also use the f1-f6 consoles on the pine64.  They just feel proper here being so close to the metal.
We'll all be happy if someone finds the answer to this one I think
Cusor is not supported by the framebuffer console driver.
Is this something that *can* be fixed/added? I'm a C dev, I might be able to help if I'm given some pointers on where to look, or how to find the answer. note that I'm not really a linux kernel guy, but I'm definitely a C coder with over 30 years of coding under my belt (in various languages/platform).

I just tried to use vi without cursor to try and fix dhcp issues (vpn at work seems to have trouble with current image)... saying this was hazardous is an understatement :-)
Sure can be fixed. But why anyone wants to use the fb console is beyond me. SSH in, use a desktop or UART.
hehe well, situations like this one... network not functional at work... no UART board yet (am in the process of getting one) and most of my boards will be headless eventually. ;-)
(06-27-2016, 12:32 PM)longsleep Wrote: Cusor is not supported by the framebuffer console driver.

thanks.

Will the mali driver fix the cursor problem too ?

marcus

(06-27-2016, 01:59 PM)pineacle Wrote: hehe well, situations like this one... network not functional at work... no UART board yet (am in the process of getting one) and most of my boards will be headless eventually.   ;-)

You can get a cursor in the terminal with this:

export PS1='\033[?17;0;40c[\u@\h \W]\$ '

It will even be color (green).  but, it will not translate into vim, nor into nano.  (rats)

Well, I am following longsleep's advice (using an ssh session, and I have a uart session too). I am from the old school, and the virtual consoles are important to my work (I can find other ways of course, but I really want my virtual consoles!)

Smile
thanks !!! I wondered about playing around with this I wasn't sure it would be possible.  you've just saved me the headache Big Grin now I can put more time into trying to figure out why my networking isn't working at work .
(06-27-2016, 02:37 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Will the mali driver fix the cursor problem too ?

No.