Q's about proper installing
Hi,
I am waiting for my Pine64+ 1GB to arrive so I have to prepare myself for a long run setting up this board.
I have couple of questions regarding some hardware add-ons and proper installation of Longsllep's Ubuntu OS

1. I bought HDMI-VGA converter from PINE's backer store. Because I do not have any HDMI working device at my home my Q is: will PINE64+ work with this converter or should I seek in my neighbourhood for a HDMI enabled monitor running initial setup, after that trying to work with this converter ?
2. I also bought external USB HUB with it's own power supply. My intends are to connect USB keyboard and wireless mouse on it. My Q is: Should I install it (usb keyboad and wireless mouse attached to it) or just plug usb keyboard and usb mouse on a initial setup of PINE64+ ? I must mention that I also bought power supply for PINE64+ also on their backer's site, so I do not intend to use this USB HUB as a power supply.
3. Addition to Q no.2, is it safe to use both at the same time external power supply and USB HUB that is also externally powered ?
4. Regarding micro SD Cards I have buying issues with limited quality and manufacturer options in my country:
- Secure Digital Micro Kingston 16GB SDHC cl10 UHS-I 45MB Read http://www.anhoch.com/product/15243/secu...-45mb-read
- Secure Digital Micro for Tablet/Smartphone Verbatim 16GB Class10 and UHS-1 with adapter Blue
http://www.anhoch.com/product/36396/secu...apter-blue
- Mobility Kit 16GB Class10 USB, reader, SD Micro w/adapter Kingston
http://www.anhoch.com/product/14409/mobi...r-kingston
- Secure Digital Micro Kingston 32GB SDHC cl10 UHS-I 45MB Read
http://www.anhoch.com/product/15191/secu...-45mb-read
- Secure Digital Micro for Tablet/Smartphone Verbatim 32GB Class10 and UHS-1 with adapter RED
http://www.anhoch.com/product/36397/secu...dapter-red

What is you suggestion based on your experience with these micro SD cards ? Money is not a issue for this but time is. I can't allow additional waiting for delivery of SD card from other country. It takes so much time to arrive.

5. Regular updates: I can't see or I did not see is this Ubuntu version regulary updated like standard Ubuntu releases or it will remain as it is on first install?

Well, for start I suppose it is enough.

Waiting for you precious help.

Regards and stay well.

Uh,uh. EDITED: Should I remove card after installation or leave it inserted on the board ? OSmile
First, if you can afford it and if its available get yourself a good 1920x1080 LED hdmi monitor (worth every penny, or whatever you use in your country). Ubuntu will most likely recognize it; debian won't, but you can make it work by editing the /boot/uEnv.txt file and changing the 720p60 to 1080p60. Don't bother with adapters, unless you are forced to.

Get yourself a 'good' powered usb hub. Make sure that it does NOT back power... it should be four port, and capable of 2.4A minimum. If you're going to use a keyboard|mouse combo or trackpad combo from Logitech, you will not need a powered hub. You will need a powered hub if you want more than two usb ports, are going to use an external hdd, or usb sticks, or mice (trackmarbles) that have laser diodes in them. It is safe to plug the powered hub and the PineA64 power in at the same time as long as the hub does not back-power. Check the specs, and test it!

I use Samsung SD cards; but, your c10 Kingston cards should be fine... check them with the tester to make sure they are genuine; some SD cards are fake and will drive you nuts.

I don't know if the debian and ubuntu distros are regularly updated (too new to tell)!

Hope you enjoy your board!
Let me add to what MarkHaysHarris777 wrote,

At this point in time HDMI -> VGA will most likely give you grief; in general, I would only recommend using active adapters and those cost more than they are worth. Again, this may change sometime in the future, but right now a HDMI connection to a screen with at supported resolution is the way to go.

One thing that is often overlooked is the importance of a good quality and thick micro usb cable - in the past month alone I must have helped ~ 10 people who couldn't get the board to work because of high AWG / poor quality cables.
Get yourself a solid 20-22AWG micro usb cable.

"Uh,uh. EDITED: Should I remove card after installation or leave it inserted on the board" -- NO, don't remove the SD card. You aren't installing anything, the OS is running live from the card.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hi people.
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I am forced to use this adapter offered from Pine64 because my finacial state do not allow so much "pleasure" at this time Smile . My power supply is also the one offered from PINE64 store so I suppose there shouldn't be any issues with powering board.
For USB HUB, I bought it from Ali Express (sorry for adverts, here is link: 7 port USB HUB ) and as can see on power supply it says 5V/1000mA (1A) . I think it is enough for supplying keyboard and a mouse,possibly one USB Memory stick up to 8GB.
I plan to make small starter computer for my daughter so there is no need for additional power.

I also forget to ask and I did not check (if some one can point to it), is there battery backup for boards clock or there is no possibility for it ? I read that lot of people had problems with this issue of Pine64+ .

Regards,
(06-17-2016, 05:38 AM)janeku Wrote: Hi people.
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I am forced to use this adapter offered from Pine64 because my finacial state do not allow so much "pleasure" at this time Smile . My power supply is also the one offered from PINE64 store so I suppose there shouldn't be any issues with powering board.
For USB HUB, I bought it from Ali Express (sorry for adverts, here is link: 7 port USB HUB ) and as can see on power supply it says 5V/1000mA (1A) . I think it is enough for supplying keyboard and a mouse,possibly one USB Memory stick up to 8GB.
I plan to make small starter computer for my daughter so there is no need for additional power.

I also forget to ask and I did not check (if some one can point to it), is there battery backup for boards clock or there is no possibility for it ? I read that lot of people had problems with this issue of Pine64+ .

Regards,

The Pine boards have a connector for a 3V RTC backup battery (CR2032, 2xAAA etc....) see here: http://wiki.pine64.org/images/7/7d/Pine6...nector.png
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Thank you. This is what I am looking for.
I would like to piggy back on what a few people have said - forgot HDMI -> VGA adapters if you can. It would be better to get a cheap, used 1080p capable HDMI monitor.

I run an after school robotics club at the middle school I teach at and I bought 20 Raspberry Pi's this year. We have a few hundred computers in the school but all of them have VGA only monitors so I bought 20 HDMI-VGA converters. They are nothing but trouble and the #1 source of problems and issues. I am hoping our school upgrades soon to HDMI capable monitors!
(06-17-2016, 12:18 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: First, if you can afford it and if its available get yourself a good 1920x1080 LED hdmi monitor (worth every penny, or whatever you use in your country). Ubuntu will most likely recognize it; debian won't, but you can make it work by editing the /boot/uEnv.txt file and changing the 720p60 to 1080p60. Don't bother with adapters, unless you are forced to.

Get yourself a 'good' powered usb hub.  Make sure that  it does NOT back power... it should be four port, and capable of 2.4A minimum. If you're going to use a keyboard|mouse combo or trackpad combo from Logitech, you will not need a powered hub. You will need a powered hub if you want more than two usb ports, are going to use an external hdd, or usb sticks, or mice (trackmarbles) that have laser diodes in them.  It is safe to plug the powered hub and the PineA64 power in at the same time as long as the hub does not back-power. Check the specs, and test it!

I use Samsung SD cards; but, your c10 Kingston cards should be fine... check them with the tester to make sure they are genuine; some SD cards are fake and will drive you nuts.

I don't know if the debian and ubuntu distros are regularly updated (too new to tell)!

Hope you enjoy your board!

Hello Mark,
How to check if my USB HUB has back power protection ??
This is what happened last night . I know it is normal hub to be powered from usb port but reverse situation, how to check that ?

Regards,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing OS for the first time (newbie) mikeardy 1 2,219 05-01-2022, 03:39 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Noob help installing Flash shoult 5 7,225 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Last Post: sheeponmeth
  config error installing XML-RPC on longsleep Ubuntu tinkertom 2 4,606 02-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Installing Mate GSam 1 3,250 11-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Installing Firefox armhf -- the right way jl_678 1 5,661 05-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Luke