3 1/2 years with PBP !
Well, I ordered my trusty PBP back in March 2020, and it's been my trusty every-day driver (for non-work-related) for the last three and a half years.  It's been a journey!

I upgraded to a 1 TB EMMC using the M.2/NGFF NVMe SSD Interface Adapter.  I updated the old trackpad drivers.  Many, many OS updates on Arch (Manjaro)  Big Grin

I keep hearing rumors of a newer PBP coming out some day, but I don't think that's happened (did I miss anything)?  I would like an upgrade, preferably in CPU and RAM.  What recommendations do you all have?

• Will there be a newer model?  (Or did I miss a big upgrade somewhere?)
  • Any tried and true ways to speed up the CPU or save the 4GB of RAM?

Feel free to link any threads rather than type a long explanation.  Thanks so much to the community for all your support!

(10-11-2023, 07:39 AM)Phillip Bell Wrote: Update to add I have the Pinephone as well, but I don't really use it.  It's just not a good everyday phone - maybe the Explorer edition would be an improvement.
Crickets ...
I'm not affiliated, but the closest thing at the moment may be: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2 (which seems to support a keyboard)

Things seem to have slow down a bit with Pine64 judging by the sparse blog posts. But when I visit the european store there are stocked items (unlike in previous months), so maybe they're busy on that front - organizing physical warehouses and shipping.
(10-11-2023, 07:39 AM)Phillip Bell Wrote: Well, I ordered my trusty PBP back in March 2020, and it's been my trusty every-day driver (for non-work-related) for the last three and a half years.  

Me too!  I bought at the start of the pandemic to spend my isolation to 'learn linux' on a machine that 'needed work'.  As it turned out, my PBP has had few troubles and is still going strong, used almost every day.  Great product, would love to support a new version.
(01-09-2024, 09:56 AM)tkudog Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 07:39 AM)Phillip Bell Wrote: Well, I ordered my trusty PBP back in March 2020, and it's been my trusty every-day driver (for non-work-related) for the last three and a half years.  

Me too!  I bought at the start of the pandemic to spend my isolation to 'learn linux' on a machine that 'needed work'.  As it turned out, my PBP has had few troubles and is still going strong, used almost every day.  Great product, would love to support a new version.

Me to, still love my PBP. But If they made a new one, a bit faster. Or maybe with a option to change RAM I would buy.
I hope they are thinking about it. And sleep function that work and faster charing with usb-c
(06-03-2024, 10:50 AM)espenbo Wrote:

Me to, still love my PBP. But If they made a new one, a bit faster. Or maybe with a option to change RAM I would buy.
I hope they are thinking about it. And sleep function that work and faster charing with usb-c

I ordered mine November 5th 2019 and do still use it at least weekly if not often daily.  A little slow by today's standard but the only thing I can't do well with it is stream video and use bluetooth speakers or headset.  Plug-in works fine.
(06-03-2024, 01:32 PM)ColoBill Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 10:50 AM)espenbo Wrote:

I ordered mine November 5th 2019 and do still use it at least weekly if not often daily.  A little slow by today's standard but the only thing I can't do well with it is stream video and use bluetooth speakers or headset.  Plug-in works fine.

Mine was numbered 068 from the factory, ordered in the 128gb community edition. Used daily for 4.5 years, two new keyboards and one new screen. Never had any problems with using bluetooth speakers or headset (pinebuds!) under fedora. Just about to retire it in favour of a second hand macbook m1 running ashai/fedora. I also wish Pine had come out with something a bit more powerful, but it proved arm linux as a daily driver laptop is the way to go for me.
Where did you find that number, 068?
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Everyone wants me to quit using NetBSD
(06-04-2024, 03:51 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Where did you find that number, 068?

The first batch had a white paper sticker with model type and a mysterious number on the palm rest next to the trackpad - mine said 128G 068.
(06-04-2024, 06:37 PM)pjsf Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 03:51 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Where did you find that number, 068?

The first batch had a white paper sticker with model type and a mysterious number on the palm rest next to the trackpad - mine said 128G 068.

My first one came from the second batch.  No sticker, no number.  I sort of wish I'd wrote the date that I received them on the bottom or something.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Everyone wants me to quit using NetBSD