Pinedio Project: Notes Sharing/Log
Where can we buy PINEDIO?

I want to use it as a generic gateway, but I also want to use it as a REPEATER to extend LORA distances.

I have meshtastic-like devices that can only reach about 2 miles in our testing so far.

Charlie aka CyberchuckTX
(03-29-2022, 11:35 AM)cyberchucktx Wrote: Where can we buy PINEDIO?

I want to use it as a generic gateway, but I also want to use it as a REPEATER to extend LORA distances.

I have meshtastic-like devices that can only reach about 2 miles in our testing so far.

Charlie aka CyberchuckTX

There have been some pretty big disruptions to supply chain, and factory was just on lockdown until the other day.

I can't comment on PineDio gateway availability, but maybe someone else will chime in when information becomes available!  Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

For those following (PineDio Gateway prototype), updated, LoRa functional test image uploaded:

(should accept any size sdcard, updated applications chirpstack and others. Added a few things to the README in repository (commands, config files of note)

One thing ppl may want to know about: EUI changing can be done inside: /opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd/local_conf.json

This can be helpful if you have a default EUI matching other gateways on same network.

Why change it? The gateway ID/EUI must be universally unique on each gateway. If you share an EUI with another gateway (on same net), you won't be able to register the gateway until changing EUI (on TTN for ex).

But, there is a very simple solution. Edit above EUI in config file location:

Code:
    /opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd/local_conf.json

Once you change EUI, next restart ttn-gateway with:

Code:
    sudo systemctl restart ttn-gateway

That's all you need to do, to change EUI/ID anytime. And our new, custom EUI will remain, as saved.

Simple example EUI generator command added: gen-eui (giving you an example of a new EUI you can use in your config file)

Direct download link: https://mega.nz/file/zB4gTLRZ#EUlJh2oYLg...GoXle4xyAk

Code:
[code]CHECKSUMS:

SHA256: 487bbb45ac78a4ee24b80918760673e58222aec60c81251617e932a8265d35b7
    SHA512: f21ee4e8b8739f2e0efc269ab158224d6dfc55b3d542118fb67286b5337a2499cda52f3df1f05db6b1202553fe22

More info available at repository (link at top of this reply).

Lup Yuen Lee has written a great step by step tutorial if you want to try your gateway on TTN:  https://lupyuen.github.io/articles/gatew...io-gateway
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

New PineDio Gateway image (Linux Kernel 5.15.74-sunxi64)

Download latest img: https://mega.nz/file/1GVi0TaK#Y8J2CybSPB...SB1dMiAthc

Code:
CHECKSUMS

SHA256: b3cbb7d135e814c9de231fa8bb3fa5c770b26235c8173b5381239ed3dfe2824b
SHA512: a133d020c9590bc731039f294bd497921e7cd24918153fead46c35aa457e37700ec6576e24c726809c5a7ebe9929ae4962c04631fed318efe136b9a833214b03

Wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinedio
- RTP

New PineDio Gateway img available for download with kernel / chirpstack upgrades, working ethernet, ability to switch between TTN (TheThingsNetwork) and Chirpstack.
  • Linux Kernel 5.15.89-sunxi
  • Chirpstack upgrades

Concentrator / GPS starts automatically at boot , along with 'chirpstack-onion', a single command to (optionally) turn Chirpstack access into a Tor Hidden Service (easy way to add end-to-end encryption & ability to keep private address for worldwide remote admin).

Direct Download: https://mega.nz/file/hLVAWLDT#DMFOugfIHa...6uakEc_xmY

? CHECKSUM
Quote:SHA256:
cdb9bd528981c47b68f121b4819ee870631c67dd5d125fb0ea3d79cae7ce4ac1
SHA512: dde9123542329dd37d29ebab695ddd8a0fe1a52e7c05f51ff7554d5a70224c30bd4a28d31526e84c89c78cd76f351487499dd8a1ab83baec2e8d00a6ff00874f

Shared screenshots / links here.

Recently became available on Pine64 store: Europe | N. America / Australia

PineDio Wiki

PineDio Gateway Tutorial (thanks to Lup Yuen lee)
- RTP

(02-05-2023, 03:49 PM)RTP Wrote: New PineDio Gateway img available for download with kernel / chirpstack upgrades, working ethernet, ability to switch between TTN (TheThingsNetwork) and Chirpstack.
  • Chirpstack upgrades

Concentrator / GPS starts automatically at boot , along with 'chirpstack-onion', a single command to (optionally) turn Chirpstack access into a Tor Hidden Service (easy way to add end-to-end encryption & ability to keep private address for worldwide remote admin).

I have not been able to boot any of the Armbian PineDio Gateway images, nor any Armbian images linked from the Sopine/A64-LTS wiki software page on my Pine A64 LTS Version 2 (2021-05-13). Since the Pine Store images show the same model A64-LTS in the PineDio kit as the board I'm attempting to boot, but a different A64-LTS board version in the Lup Yuen Lee tutorial, I am reluctant to invest in the PineDio Gateway kit if I cannot get a similiar OS on my current board. I have the PineDio LoRa USB adapter Lup Yuen Lee has in a different tutorial but would eventually like to purchase the PineDio LoRa Gateway kit with confidence. The early version of the Pine A64-LTS board has an SPI chip soldered on, and the later version of the board, which I own, and is pictured in the store with thecurrent kit does not have an SPI chip.

The question I have to ask is do the images being developed work on both versions of the A64-LTS board, has anyone verified this?

The only OSes I have been able to boot on my board are the NetBSD release linked in the wiki software release, and one of Ayufan's early Ubuntu server releases. I've also tried some of Slarm's Sopine Slackware releases to no success. UART does not work on my board (sudo picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0) with any of the Armbian or Slackware releases. And with most non-bootable images they go as far as turning the system over to the kernel, hang for a moment, then the board power cycles. I've had the same results with various microSD cards, and eMMC modules. I know my UART adapter is working and the wires are not crossed, and on my machine it is ttyUSB0.

Any help is appreciated. I will try Alpine Linux from the above wiki link but am more comfortable working within Debian forks so it would be nice to have the Armbian releases working. Thank you.

Edit: I figured out UART using the Euler Pins. I had been using the GPIO under the assumption it behaved the same as my other Pine64 SBCs. Followed the directions described in the below link after successfully installing FreeBSD 13.2-Release.

https://github.com/epsilon-0/openbsd-pine-a64-lts
https://linux-sunxi.org/File:Pine64_UART0.jpg
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
(03-01-2023, 10:00 PM)MNtinkerer Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 03:49 PM)RTP Wrote: New PineDio Gateway img available for download with kernel / chirpstack upgrades, working ethernet, ability to switch between TTN (TheThingsNetwork) and Chirpstack.
  • Chirpstack upgrades

I have not been able to boot any of the Armbian PineDio Gateway images, nor any Armbian images linked from the Sopine/A64-LTS wiki software page on my Pine A64 LTS Version 2 (2021-05-13). Since the Pine Store images show the same model A64-LTS in the PineDio kit as the board I'm attempting to boot, but a different A64-LTS board version in the Lup Yuen Lee tutorial, I am reluctant to invest in the PineDio Gateway kit if I cannot get a similiar OS on my current board. I have the PineDio LoRa USB adapter Lup Yuen Lee has in a different tutorial but would eventually like to purchase the PineDio LoRa Gateway kit with confidence. The early version of the Pine A64-LTS board has an SPI chip soldered on, and the later version of the board, which I own, and is pictured in the store with thecurrent kit does not have an SPI chip.

The question I have to ask is do the images being developed work on both versions of the A64-LTS board, has anyone verified this?

The only OSes I have been able to boot on my board are the NetBSD release linked in the wiki software release, and one of Ayufan's early Ubuntu server releases. I've also tried some of Slarm's Sopine Slackware releases to no success. UART does not work on my board (sudo picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0) with any of the Armbian or Slackware releases. And with most non-bootable images they go as far as turning the system over to the kernel, hang for a moment, then the board power cycles. I've had the same results with various microSD cards, and eMMC modules. I know my UART adapter is working and the wires are not crossed, and on my machine it is ttyUSB0.

Any help is appreciated. I will try Alpine Linux from the above wiki link but am more comfortable working within Debian forks so it would be nice to have the Armbian releases working. Thank you.

Edit: I figured out UART using the Euler Pins. I had been using the GPIO under the assumption it behaved the same as my other Pine64 SBCs. Followed the directions described in the below link after successfully installing FreeBSD 13.2-Release.

Can answer for PineDio gateway img: LTS V2 board boots (v2 listed as coming with gateway) & verified moment ago PineDio img also booted on v1.2 (2018-10-29: different hw version from gateway).

If for some reason there are issues on other debian img, as a temp solution for your other board could grab PineDio gateway img (most recent), then disable concentrator stuff with:

sudo systemctl stop ttn-gateway && sudo systemctl disable ttn-gateway
- RTP

(03-04-2023, 06:18 PM)RTP Wrote:
  • Chirpstack upgrades

Can answer for PineDio gateway img: LTS V2 board boots (v2 listed as coming with gateway) & verified moment ago PineDio img also booted on v1.2 (2018-10-29: different hw version from gateway).

If for some reason there are issues on other debian img, as a temp solution for your other board could grab PineDio gateway img (most recent), then disable concentrator stuff with:

Thank you for the reply, it eliminates a variable since it isn't a board revision mismatch with the software. I have hardware alternatives to follow the tutorial. Just was trying to work in as close of an environment as possible. Troubleshooting this devil is a distraction from the goal of learning more about LoRa.

My board isn't booting past the initial kernel hardware detection, it will crash and reboot or crash and turn off. Since some OSes do work; NetBSD, FreeBSD, and an old Ubuntu Bionic port, I'm curious about the root of the problem but I have too many projects going to spend anymore time on this tangent.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
(03-05-2023, 01:00 AM)MNtinkerer Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 06:18 PM)RTP Wrote:
  • Chirpstack upgrades

Thank you for the reply, it eliminates a variable since it isn't a board revision mismatch with the software. I have hardware alternatives to follow the tutorial. Just was trying to work in as close of an environment as possible. Troubleshooting this devil is a distraction from the goal of learning more about LoRa.

My board isn't booting past the initial kernel hardware detection, it will crash and reboot or crash and turn off. Since some OSes do work; NetBSD, FreeBSD, and an old Ubuntu Bionic port, I'm curious about the root of the problem but I have too many projects going to spend anymore time on this tangent.

Your board is repeatedly powering off on its own? That's an odd issue you are having. And seeing no clues as to failure by serial?

Has this been happening since you received your board?
- RTP

(03-19-2023, 11:39 AM)RTP Wrote: Your board is repeatedly powering off on its own? That's an odd issue you are having. And seeing no clues as to failure by serial?

Has this been happening since you received your board?

I just deleted the archived post messages the day before you replied, ahhh! The only clue via serial is the last message on the screen before rebooting about booting Linux kernel something. This behavior was consistent.

It is odd because both NetBSD and FreeBSD boot flawlessly so I've been using FreeBSD on it. I tried different microSD cards, different eMMC modules (from Pine64), booting with all peripherals removed, using different keyboards, mice, HDMI cable, different monitors, Ethernet plug removed, various versions of the software linked in this thread (including verifying sha sum), various other computers to write the software to microSD/eMMC, various writing methods (dd, balena etcher), even removing the serial connection. Same result. I haven't thought to check the memory performance until now. 

You answered my question above about board versions so next paycheck I plan on getting a PineDio, but have been able to follow the tutorial using the USB-LoRa adapter on one of my RockPro64s.

As far as hardware quirks sometimes things are the way they are. The board is still usable for tinkering just not as originally planned. 

Edit: Somehow added the quote multiple times, now removed.