Keyboard Power Issues
Bug 
What is the state of the keyboard and its power management/capacity reporting for you guys?

On my original PinePhone everything works fine, it reports the capacity, the buttons work (short press, double press and long press) but on the PinePhone Pro it's a completely different story. The power button powers the phone and then it's all downhill from there. It does not report the battery capacity at all, the power button works when it feels like it (having to long press multiple times to try and stop it from charging the phone so I can turn it off). I should mention that typing on it works flawlessly.

Is anyone else having these issues?

Well, I think I may have found the issue.

OG PinePhone.
[Image: 51QoN6sh_o.jpg]

PinePhone Pro.
[Image: JxevycYC_o.jpg]

I feel like I'm screaming at the clouds asking these questions. I can't believe the amount of problems I have with this hardware.
So I guess my next question is, is this how other people's PinePhone Pro's pogo pins look like?

Too cheap to use a little more material so that the phone I spent $400 + shipping is actually usable? It's always something.

My questions both still stand. Hopefully I can figure out something.
My keyboard case used to work with my PP but not my PPPro, now it doesn’t work with either ?
(03-28-2022, 02:54 PM)dgiffin Wrote: My keyboard case used to work with my PP but not my PPPro, now it doesn’t work with either ?
It seems like everyone is having problems with the keyboard. It's hard to tell if it's the hardware that's bugged or the software or what's really going on. Our keyboards might be broken or maybe there's something wrong with the software or the pogo pins. It's anyone's guess as to what's actually going on.

Do the pogo pins on your PinePhone Pro look the same as mine?
Yeah, your picture looks the same as my phone, Except I have not had a connection problem with my pogo pins.

Though my keyboard did seem to work better previously, the keyboard power button did seem to work intuitively at first.

That double tap on the keyboards power button does absolutely nothing on my keyboard.

At first I could shut down both the phone and keyboard, then even 2 days later when turned on, both the batteries were still charged.
'Now' after being turned off for one day, both batteries are 0.0% charged ! ?

... any kind of power indicating light on the keyboard would sure be helpful !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Just to remind everyone that if you connect to PPP with ssh while at your desk you can use your PC keyboard to run the phone.  Pinephone keyboard is useful if you are away from your pc desk.  An ssh linux app like snowflake gives you a full terminal window to your PPP and also a gui file manager window for copying, moving, deleting, and editing files.
Using PMOS(edge) only the pinephone itself is charged, the keyboard case not.

Using Mobian neither the pinephone nor keyboard case is charged.

Both OS'es are always showing "kb151 0%".

No reaction to presses on the power button.
I had an issue with the pogo pins on my PPP, it seems the springs inside some of them were weak. As a result I had issues with kbd charging the phone, the kbd could deliver only about 400ma to the phone, no matter what the current limit was set to, pressing on the back of the phone would sometimes solve the issue for a little while. Sadly, no amount of shimming helped.

It turns out that the pogo pins are replaceable, and pine64 sells a set of them for $1. They are also identical to the pogo pins in the pinephone, so in the mean time I swapped my pinephone pogo pins into my PPP and problem solved (Just be very careful with the disassembly, the components are small, and there are a bunch of fragile ribbon cables). While I would have been happier if they had not shipped the PPP with defective pogo pins, I have to admire the modular design.
Guess that's how they make their money, sell you defective hardware on purpose and then sell you the fix. It's only $1.

Well, $1 + shipping + duty + tax.

So around $50 because they were too lazy, incompetent or both to take the time to test the product they created. Always the chance that they were doing it maliciously as well.
Is shaving off a couple cents worth of material really worth this? The fact that this BS was considered at all tells you what you need to know. Your keyboard that you bought WILL NOT WORK with your $400 phone. Heads up in case anyone was considering buying one.

But hey it's beta hardware who could blame them? I mean it'd take almost a full TWO minutes to test if it worked or not!
(03-29-2022, 03:11 AM)Merc Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 02:54 PM)dgiffin Wrote: My keyboard case used to work with my PP but not my PPPro, now it doesn’t work with either ?
It seems like everyone is having problems with the keyboard. It's hard to tell if it's the hardware that's bugged or the software or what's really going on. Our keyboards might be broken or maybe there's something wrong with the software or the pogo pins. It's anyone's guess as to what's actually going on.

My PPP pogo pins look Ok to me - the keyboard is recognised now (keys working) but the charging is still a mystery - side switch seems to do nothing, keyboard battery seems to charge but doesn't seem to power the phone - not sure what's going on to be honest.
(04-23-2022, 03:42 AM)dgiffin Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 03:11 AM)Merc Wrote:

My PPP pogo pins look Ok to me - the keyboard is recognised now (keys working) but the charging is still a mystery - side switch seems to do nothing, keyboard battery seems to charge but doesn't seem to power the phone - not sure what's going on to be honest.

The side button turns on and off the charging between keyboard and PinePhone. If the charging does not work but the keys do you will likely have to add shims to the pogo pins, as they are not making proper contact, see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(...er_contact

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard not working PPP is support broken atm? joshndroid 13 3,104 02-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: mburns
  The XIT bluetooth folding keyboard can work with the Pinephone Pro mburns 0 221 11-09-2023, 10:57 AM
  Fixing the PinePhone Keyboard for the Linux Console mburns 0 441 09-02-2023, 07:48 AM
  Keyboard charges, won't type - ERROR: I2C_RDWR failed: No such device or address jovval 0 404 07-10-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Power pass through USB-C dock that works? (HDMI out and charges phone) jcun4128 8 3,171 01-15-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: fox95
  Checking Keyboard Charging Status dgiffin 0 1,152 04-23-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Use keyboard case as virtual mouse EwigeBlumenkraft 1 1,842 03-24-2022, 05:22 AM
Last Post: magdesign
  Hardware keyboard top row keycodes problem cyrelk 2 2,234 03-03-2022, 03:01 AM
Last Post: cyrelk
  Keyboard case issues dgiffin 10 6,960 03-03-2022, 12:56 AM
Last Post: tcoulon
  Keyboard Not Charging PPP thismarty 7 5,134 02-09-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: thismarty