charging indicator
Does the PPP have a charding indicator that comes on when the phone is connected to a charger?

My PPP does not show any indication of being charged when connected to any charger I have tried.  I believe the battery is completely dead.

I have switched the audio out to UART and if I plug headphones into the jack and plug headphones in there is usually some activity followed by a regular pulse when connected to a charger.
(01-28-2022, 02:15 PM)nristen Wrote: Does the PPP have a charding indicator that comes on when the phone is connected to a charger?

My PPP does not show any indication of being charged when connected to any charger I have tried.  I believe the battery is completely dead.

I have switched the audio out to UART and if I plug headphones into the jack and plug headphones in there is usually some activity followed by a regular pulse when connected to a charger.

When my PPP is plugged in while off, the light turns red briefly, and there is a long vibration. It does not have a hardware indication of charging while powered on, only the software battery indicator.

NOTE: If the PPP just arrived, and you haven't cracked the back yet, you will have to open it up and remove a plastic tab behind the battery before it will boot for the first time.
(01-28-2022, 02:48 PM)FrozenPine Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 02:15 PM)nristen Wrote: Does the PPP have a charding indicator that comes on when the phone is connected to a charger?

When my PPP is plugged in while off, the light turns red briefly, and there is a long vibration. It does not have a hardware indication of charging while powered on, only the software battery indicator.

NOTE: If the PPP just arrived, and you haven't cracked the back yet, you will have to open it up and remove a plastic tab behind the battery before it will boot for the first time.

Thanks for your response.

After I received the PPP, I was able to power it on.  After it was on, every time the screen would go blank though, the only way that I found to get it back was to remove and replace the battery and hold the power button for two seconds.  An update from discover failed so I tried doing pacman -Syu from the terminal which worked however after every reboot, I told me that the last upgrade had failed and asked if I wanted to recover.  Throughout this process the battery kept getting lower and lower sometimes going down a percentage point every 10 seconds.

Since this I have not been able to get any response even when connected to a charger.
So...what does it mean when you hold power, and get a buzz, the red led for a couple of seconds, then solid yellow? It doesn't move from there. I have a tested bootable SD from earlier, which I know works on it. But today it started to just do red, then yellow...and no feedback on the screen at all. Any idea what causes this? I have tried three different batteries, they all do the same.
Same here.

My PPP has been dead ever since I committed the mortal sin of shutting it down to charge overnight.

I've tried various suggestions listed here on the forum attempting to resurrect it, but nothing works.

At best, after every dozen or so attempts, I get this red-light-yellow-light thing, then nothing.
(01-30-2022, 12:29 PM)thismarty Wrote: Same here.

My PPP has been dead ever since I committed the mortal sin of shutting it down to charge overnight.

I've tried various suggestions listed here on the forum attempting to resurrect it, but nothing works. 

At best, after every dozen or so attempts, I get this red-light-yellow-light thing, then nothing.

For me the mask rom mode worked but if that's not working for you I recommend you get an external charger until the bug is fixed.
(01-30-2022, 01:58 PM)captainmorgan Wrote:

For me the mask rom mode worked but if that's not working for you I recommend you get an external charger until the bug is fixed.

Yup.  I've ordered a third party charger through Amazon and look forward to trying it.
(01-30-2022, 03:00 PM)thismarty Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 01:58 PM)captainmorgan Wrote:

Yup.  I've ordered a third party charger through Amazon and look forward to trying it.

I received my PPP Explorer Edition a few days ago. It rarely vibrates when I plug it in to charge, and sometimes won't power on after a few presses of 2, 5 or 10 seconds. Then it will power on occasionally. Yesterday it wouldn't turn on, no response from plugging in to charge or holding down the power button for any amount of time. Today it dawned on me to try swapping my original PinePhone battery for the PPP, and it booted right up. It's even charging with the same charger that got no response from the new battery. I ordered a separate charger from AmeriDroid just in case. And the new battery is charging in the original PinePhone - I'm mystified, but glad I got the PPP to finally boot.
Update:

I followed the new additional instructions added on the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions

located in the section in blue beginning with:
If the battery is fully drained U-Boot might fail...

After letting it charge for about 6 hours, I am now getting a response however it still fails to fully boot.

After hitting the power button for two seconds to turn it on, a spinning indicator comes on for about 2 seconds then it goes to a blank screen with a tiny pointer that I can move around the screen by touching the display.  If I hit the power button again it goes back to the spinning icon for a few seconds before the screen goes black.

I am wondering if the boot failure is the result of the failure to update the system when I first got the phone when I tried to update using the discover app and then tried using pacman -Syu.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of what the black screen with the tiny pointer indicates?

I have also tried to boot with an sd card by holding down the power button for 5 - 8 seconds but I get the same results.
(01-30-2022, 07:08 PM)nristen Wrote: Update:

I followed the new additional instructions added on the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions

located in the section in blue beginning with:
If the battery is fully drained U-Boot might fail...

After letting it charge for about 6 hours, I am now getting a response however it still fails to fully boot.

After hitting the power button for two seconds to turn it on, a spinning indicator comes on for about 2 seconds then it goes to a blank screen with a tiny pointer that I can move around the screen by touching the display.  If I hit the power button again it goes back to the spinning icon for a few seconds before the screen goes black.

I am wondering if the boot failure is the result of the failure to update the system when I first got the phone when I tried to update using the discover app and then tried using pacman -Syu.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of what the black screen with the tiny pointer indicates?

I have also tried to boot with an sd card by holding down the power button for 5 - 8 seconds but I get the same results.

If the boot is broken on your eMMC,   perhaps the sd card will boot with the short 2 second power button press ?

Just a thought.

Curious : what OS did you put on your sd card ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhonePro turns on when connecting usb charging cable xt0 5 869 10-10-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  New out of box phone, vibrates and solid red light on charging StuckInTheCloud 1 832 03-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: fxc
Question Battery not charging when run down to 0. iwm 2 1,810 02-08-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: mburns
  USB to PC connection not charging PPP tckosvic 0 855 02-01-2022, 05:40 PM
Last Post: tckosvic