Switching Forums to use Discourse?
To me, current discourse is a complete mess and rather resembles a chat than a somewhat more structured forum style discussion.
I'd rather prefer the forum switch to a more useable forum software, e.g. something like the one used over at forum.thinkpads.com.

One remarkably good thing about forums is that they allow searching the existing content and older articles.
This allows to take advantage of already existing knowledge instead of asking questions yet all over again.
I almost never ask any questions, simply because all i ever need to know is often readily available by searching.

I doubt this is possible with discourse due to the unstructured discussion style and I'd really hate to see this advantage gone.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & Pinephone (Braveheart)
Discourse is really hard to navigate through, very hard to customize (read: impossible), mandatory Javascript (so you're forced to be set open to all sorts of exploits and privacy invading issues), forced CDN, super slow and laggy especially on lower end machines, and so on.
And on top of that, I don't think it's really in line with PINE's phylosofy, or even GNU's.

The other problem is that it's a centralized platform, so you're forced to host on their servers.
I never liked how Vbulletin and IPB had a "pay for the right to use a forum software" scheme, but Discourse is even worse here.
At least with Vbulletin and IPB you'd download the software and spin it on your own server, with Discourse on the other hand you pay even more money for the right to rent it, and you'll need to trust the developers to not deplatform you for whatever reason they feel like doing so.

So I think it's clear that I oppose this idea.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
The guy who bumped it is a spammer, he just copied a line from an earlier post & added in spam links.

And hell no to Discourse. What's next, making the official forum a Facebook page?
[quote pid="103164" dateline="1637773271"]

The other problem is that it's a centralized platform, so you're forced to host on their servers.
I never liked how Vbulletin and IPB had a "pay for the right to use a forum software" scheme, but Discourse is even worse here.
At least with Vbulletin and IPB you'd download the software and spin it on your own server, with Discourse on the other hand you pay even more money for the right to rent it, and you'll need to trust the developers to not deplatform you for whatever reason they feel like doing so.
[/quote]
 That's not the case. You can host your own discourse server.
(11-24-2021, 03:54 PM)mattpenn Wrote: [quote pid="103164" dateline="1637773271"]

[/quote]

Really?
I checked the website before posting to make sure I didn't say anything that's not true, and couldn't find a "download" button or a guide on how to install on your own server anywhere, only a pricing page with 3 hosting options.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Hey it is about choices !

There are people discussing Pine products on Discourse, ** perhaps the O.P. should be there ?

I Prefer to stay here, I would appreciate someone not trying to shut down this forum for their own personal ''Taste"
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-24-2021, 06:58 PM)ryo Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 03:54 PM)mattpenn Wrote: [quote pid="103164" dateline="1637773271"]

Really?
I checked the website before posting to make sure I didn't say anything that's not true, and couldn't find a "download" button or a guide on how to install on your own server anywhere, only a pricing page with 3 hosting options.
[/quote]

Yep, we do it at work. See:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/b...INSTALL.md
(11-24-2021, 07:55 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Hey  it is about choices !

There are people discussing Pine products on Discourse, ** perhaps the O.P.  should be there  ?

I Prefer to stay here,  I would appreciate someone not trying to shut down this forum for their own personal ''Taste"

I think you're confusing Discourse with Discord here.
Discord is fine because it's a substitute for the forum (like how it's supposed to be) rather than a full blown replacement.
And it's a chat platform, not a message board.

Discourse on the other hand is a message board just like MyBB which this forum is running on right now.
You can only replace MyBB for Discourse, managing 2 completely separated forums is going to be overkill in the long run, and the staff will just force everyone into either of the 2 in the end.

(11-25-2021, 02:07 AM)mattpenn Wrote: Yep, we do it at work. See:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/b...INSTALL.md

Oh, I didn't know that.
Well I did, but that was the Discourse I knew a couple years ago, back when they still had a download button and instructions on the main page, but since they are hiding it on Github, I assumed they quit offering a way to self host.
Seems like it still requires basically the same system resources as Windows 7 32-bit requires, which I found to be extremely high for a web app back in the day, but if you consider how much system resources web frontends require nowadays, it's still pretty lightweight in comparison, which is pretty sad.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-25-2021, 06:39 AM)ryo Wrote: Discourse on the other hand is a message board just like MyBB which this forum is running on right now.

Except that it works.

(11-24-2021, 02:23 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: And hell no to Discourse.  What's next, making the official forum a Facebook page?

Care to elaborate or is your opinion purely emotional? I would really expect a bit more from people than vague baseless comparisons.
(12-02-2021, 11:48 AM)Avamander Wrote: Except that it works.

Not sure what you mean here, MyBB isn't broken on my end.
Unlike Discourse, MyBB is still usable with Javascript disabled, so I'd rather say that MyBB is one that works.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change the forum's software to Discourse Liz_34 11 3,215 01-25-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Question Any chance to see a mobile-friendly Pine64 forums ? kern707 14 11,986 03-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Last Post: gab
  Searching the forums Fred Zyphal 3 2,695 10-27-2021, 02:09 PM
Last Post: 8bit
  Link to forums hard to find flatulent_piney 2 2,643 02-07-2021, 12:41 AM
Last Post: flatulent_piney
  Forums - List Formatting hmuller 5 4,728 12-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Luke
Question App for using the Pine64 forums User 11436 1 2,935 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Last Post: KNERD