Optical SPDIF via 3.5mm Jack?
By the looks of it, the Pine64 boards don't support Optical SPDIF via the 3.5mm Jack, only SPDIF via the 'euler' bus connector. Is this correct?

The low-cost "Chromecast Audio" device supports optical SPDIF via its 3.5mm jack, so my thought is that the physical component isn't too expensive (if you can find the source for it). It would be nice to have/tout SPDIF support without having to create a daughter card.

What are your thoughts?
(12-12-2015, 12:19 PM)bigmacattack Wrote: By the looks of it, the Pine64 boards don't support Optical SPDIF via the 3.5mm Jack, only SPDIF via the 'euler' bus connector. Is this correct?

The low-cost "Chromecast Audio" device supports optical SPDIF via its 3.5mm jack, so my thought is that the physical component isn't too expensive (if you can find the source for it). It would be nice to have/tout SPDIF support without having to create a daughter card.

What are your thoughts?

Your statement is correct. Every small costs eventually add up, unless there is a very popular request, we will not consider and end up increase price.
USB to SPDIF Converter
(12-15-2015, 02:03 PM)Dakine1337 Wrote: USB to SPDIF Converter

Just a small add on card with Toshlink optical connector or 7407 buffer for Coaxial output. I will post such reference schematic next week at Pine64.org wiki site for people that interest to build one. If this  demand is popular, we just can manufacturer this small board for interested parties.
Hi,

please produce "optical out" (toslink) module for PINE64! It would be great for HTPC projects as most of people who buy this board as ideal HTPC HW (because of 4K and H265 support) need it.

Thank you!
(01-04-2016, 07:23 AM)stillka Wrote: Hi,

please produce "optical out" (toslink) module for PINE64! It would be great for HTPC projects as most of people who buy this board as ideal HTPC HW (because of 4K and H265 support) need it.

Thank you!

Already in action.
So i'm finally done reading all the questions on the KickStart project page ..I have a renewed respect for the person handling all does questions..

As i understand it getting a 3.5mm mini-jack SPDIF combo is not going to happen anytime soon.
Am i correct in this assumption ?

In my case this is a deal breaker to tell you the truth..along with a couple of other issues..
Please lett me know..

thx guys.
(01-07-2016, 01:45 PM)Tuxkey Wrote: So i'm finally done reading all the questions on the KickStart project page ..I have a renewed respect for the person handling all does questions..

As i understand it getting a 3.5mm mini-jack SPDIF combo is not going to happen anytime soon.
Am i correct in this assumption ?

In my case this is a deal breaker to tell you the truth..along with a couple of other issues..
Please lett me know..

thx guys.

your assumption is correct. there is plan to support Toslink as add-on board
Why would you want a toslink if there is spdif? Looking at tests the quality of toslink is not beter than spdif. Maybe a coaxiaal interface would be great, otherwise extract digital audio from HDMI.

Regards,
Mischa
(01-23-2016, 08:37 AM)mischa72 Wrote: Why would you want a toslink if there is spdif? Looking at tests the quality of toslink is not beter than spdif. Maybe a coaxiaal interface would be great, otherwise extract digital audio from HDMI.

Regards,
Mischa

Agreed with Mischa, Hifi folks use coaxial for higher sampling rate and bit resolution. We have start design a board that try to archive 192KHz, 24 bit out at coaxial. It is kind of funny, that copper cable better than optic fiber on this case.

Cheers,
TL Lim