Anyone planning on ZFS or BTRFS for file systems?
(08-07-2019, 06:01 AM)Arwen Wrote: ...
There are ways that BTRFS can loose data. It's not a totally COW;

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/..._rename.3F

For home use, I'd not worry about it. But, for data center use, (in reference to BTRFS in general, not BTRFS on Pinebook Pro), I'd consider this un-acceptable.
Oh, I forgot another way BTRFS and ZFS differ, BTRFS stores the checksum with the blocks, (data or metadata).

ZFS stores the checksum in the parent block. So that means ZFS stores data block checksums with the directory entries' metadata, and the directories' checksum with it's parent directory. And the root level directory in the Uber block, (top level file system descripter).

This difference is not too important until you run across mis-written data. (Probably so rare, most people never even heard of it.) With BTRFS, a scrub of the data may not detect this. But, ZFS would. Again, not to important for home use. And I'd return to using BTRFS on a Pinebook Pro without hesitation if ZFS was not usable on ARM64.

This became important to me when I selected the first 8TB disk of reasonable price, the Seagate Archive SMR, (Shingled Magnetic Recording). This type of disk ALWAYS relocates data blocks on write, (somewhat like flash does). Using ZFS was a no-brainer on that disk. It gave me both data validation, (for the more complex firmware Seagate had to use), and snapshots so I can store and release incremental backups easily.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone planning on ZFS or BTRFS for file systems? - by Arwen - 08-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  extlinux.conf file error, can it be edited in bootloader? Abandoned Brain 2 2,600 09-26-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Abandoned Brain
  PostmarketOS - Why swap file not on at boot? stozi 3 4,030 06-24-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: craftyguy
  Good i3 Config file to use? User 22018 6 6,038 06-17-2021, 09:38 AM
Last Post: user526
  Restoring img file to eMMC GloriousCoffee 5 5,824 08-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Manjaro Arm users - What does your trackpad/keyboard conf file look like? Eggmonkey 7 8,052 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Which keyboard config file with Ubuntu Mate Linux-Rob 1 2,343 11-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: agD0i7rY