Anyone planning on ZFS or BTRFS for file systems?
(07-31-2019, 10:26 AM)lot378 Wrote: These file systems are meant for scenarios where there is redundancy in the form of multiple drives.

Trying to apply ZFS or Btrfs to eMMC alone may be worse than not using either system - it could be all working fine one moment but corruption in the wrong place means total loss of everything and no way to fix it at all - in similar situations, other file systems could recover.

I can't speak about ZFS, but BTRFS is not only meant for redundancy. RAID1 and DUP are among the possibilities. But it's also about providing subvolumes, snapshots, CoW, compression, checksum on everything, etc.
All these valid features even on small devices (Jolla even used it for that exact puprose on their first smartphone).

Thankfully, due to the way BTRFS has data laid out there is no such thing as a single wrong place that loses everything. I've been through some flash media corruption (including hiqh quality SD from reputable brand names - but you now, bad luck happens), and each time I've still been able to recover nearly everything (btrfs restore is your friend).

(07-31-2019, 07:41 AM)Arwen Wrote: @DrYak, do you have any experience with BTRFS Mirroring?

I've heard that in the past, if one mirror died, and you rebooted, that caused BTRFS to be un-mountable.
Kinda silly for RAID-1 behaviour, so I am assuming it was a bug and is being / has been fixed.

Saddly I don't have enough experience for a definitive answer. I do use RAID1 profile on multiple BTRFS installation (and its the default for metadata on multiple drive), but I haven't had an instance of dying drive on any of those instance.

On the other hand, official BTRFS documentation now considers RAID0 and RAID1 stable (as opposed to RAID5 and 6 which aren't yet), and thus I expect that RAID1 related corruption a thing of the past.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone planning on ZFS or BTRFS for file systems? - by DrYak - 08-07-2019, 04:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  extlinux.conf file error, can it be edited in bootloader? Abandoned Brain 2 2,601 09-26-2021, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Abandoned Brain
  PostmarketOS - Why swap file not on at boot? stozi 3 4,030 06-24-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: craftyguy
  Good i3 Config file to use? User 22018 6 6,038 06-17-2021, 09:38 AM
Last Post: user526
  Restoring img file to eMMC GloriousCoffee 5 5,830 08-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Manjaro Arm users - What does your trackpad/keyboard conf file look like? Eggmonkey 7 8,053 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Which keyboard config file with Ubuntu Mate Linux-Rob 1 2,344 11-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: agD0i7rY