Distro for writers, k & m, LibreOffice, PostmarketOS?
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I had LibreOffice installed on PostmarketOS, where also the PinePhone keyboard works. I had a very good impression of the PinePhone keyboard. I feels very robust and reliable. I think for typing in LibreOffice it should work fine. I saw that functions of LibreOffice can be controlled by key controls. Unfortunately, the special characters are not implemented yet on the PinePhone keyboard.

Since LibreOffice has drop down menues, I suggest to use a mouse with it. I did some tests with a mouse and it worked fine to drop down these menus on the PinePhone.

There are some demos available for LibreOffice, but there are no very detailed tests yet. I have put these testimonies and demo videos together on my personal website:

https://petergamma.org/demonstrations-of...pinephone/

This needs further testing.

I did also some testing with a Bluetooth mini keyboard and a mini mouse, but they disconnected several times. I had this problem also with old Android custom roms. In newer, I never had any issues with these devices.

Logitech has good support for Linux, and also some unoffical GITHUB projects are available. I have also some old Bluetooth microsoft keyboards and mice on my screed, but I could not find any special Linux driver for those. But I could also not find anyone who said that they do not work with Linux.

I think it is worth testing Bluetooth devices which have Linux drivers with the Pinephone. It might be more reliable than a small usb-c connector to the Pine64 docking bar. I tested thirt party docking bars, and the small connector scared me, and looked not very reliable.

The use case is as I have it with my Android phone. I use the Android phone for writing documents, and also for viewing those. It is great to have a good device which can be used anywhere anytime. But for to revise documents, a large monitor and a large keyboard is much more comfortable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Distro for writers, k & m, LibreOffice, PostmarketOS? - by Peter Gamma - 06-16-2022, 11:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 24,762 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Boxes at startup of LibreOffice cannot be executed Peter Gamma 0 757 06-12-2022, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone: Is there a frugal distro? orbital 2 2,007 05-27-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: orbital
  Bluetooth low energy & ANT+ sports sensors Pinephone distro? Peter Gamma 34 49,746 12-08-2021, 04:50 AM
Last Post: thibaultmol
  What distro should I try right now? dan640 1 2,649 02-14-2021, 06:35 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Low Battery indication (Manjaro/PostmarketOS with phosh) MamlinAV 3 4,459 12-16-2020, 03:44 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Can I use UT apps with another distro ? Sanexom 2 3,550 07-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Last Post: patrickjquinn
  After installing CRUST, what does a distro need to do to get wake on modem working? Subsentient 4 6,688 07-06-2020, 04:32 AM
Last Post: Alefnode
  Selecting a distro for a 32-bit application jfloren 3 5,085 02-04-2020, 02:03 PM
Last Post: tophneal