Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays.
Quote:Question #1: Is the baseboard + 3g/4g addon module the same as the Pinephone? Meaning, will the various os options work out of the box and allow for data connections over 3g/4g/whatever is currently becoming available?

Looking at it - I don't think so. I think they are missing a trick not selling a hat for it.

One option could be to add a USB 3G/4G modem that is compatible with Linux, but I suspect most of the current Linux distros are highly coupled to the current hardware. For example, I had to explicitly ask that a USB WiFi driver be compiled for the PineTab kernel, despite it having a USB port that should technically be able to support anything.

Quote:Question #2: Let's assume the Pinephone case is thrown away, are any screens actually compatible with the design? If I wanted to source a screen compatible with the Pine64, what might I be searching for? Any suggestions for vendors?

No idea. One thing to be careful about is that the A64 might not support higher resolutions, from memory there was some issue with 1080 resolution. You also might not get touch support.

Quote:Okay, this is a very cool project. Greatly appreciate you documenting it, I am very interested in following your progress.

It's far from done yet Smile

Quote:As for my keyboard question, I mostly expect it to fail for the reasons that you are pointing at. It is mostly a compulsion that I cannot get rid of and I will need to try all the available switches. I have looked at all the options and most of them look awful honestly, they all look like they will tire my fingers if used for anything but the bare minimum usecase. There are a few people that have built their own keyboards, here is probably the most talented and most reasonable approach of the bunch:

I would suggest to keep your initial experimentation simple - try and find buttons you like, ideally from open source projects. Might also be worth your time checking out the PinePhone keyboard case!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays. - by barray - 12-26-2021, 04:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,549 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  Replace/Solder USB-C port on Pinephone magdesign 4 3,825 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  speaker replace and no screen mascarade01 2 2,995 03-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: mascarade01