My PBP starts up like a 1977 Chevy Nova
Welp,
I flashed the emmc with postmarket/plasma. And for the first few boots it looked fine.

I was literally just logging in to the forum here to thank you guys for pushing me past my lazy grumpiness to flash another OS to the emmc when I thought "let's give this one last boot, just to make sure everything is cool." 

And (you are probably already guessing the end to this tale of woe) now the PBP is showing exactly the same kind of random-freezing behavior as described above when it was running Manjaro.

(Also: no SD card showing up in lsblk under Postmarket when it booted either.)

Any thoughts on what else I could try?
Thanks so much!

(08-30-2021, 12:07 AM)wdt Wrote: >but I can't boot the machine from USB.
Well, it partly depend on what uboot version you have
I mostly use a bsp uboot (mrfixit v2.0)
None of the normal uboots will boot a sd card in a carrier (adapter) ,,
however tow-boot WILL (not every distro, about 3/4)
you do have to change extlinux changing mmcblkX to sda,
unless it is using LABEL or uuid
I suggest you try installing a distro to a usb stick, and try booting that
--
I think one of the problems with uboot is poor handling of multiple usb connections,
pbp keyboard is usb and it gets priority perhaps

In my previous thread where I was asking about booting USB I ended up with the conclusion that USB is not a viable option. I believe because of this section of the troubleshooting guide:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pro#Boot_devices
Where it says "The boot order of the hard-coded ROM of its RK3399 SoC is: SPI NOR, eMMC, SD, USB OTG"

I believe that means to even have a chance of booting USB I have to remove the emmc, which basically defeats the part where I wanted to avoid opening up the machine. Though now I think of it, maybe I came to that conclusion at the point where my emmc didn't have a functioning uboot at all, and my SD card reader wasn't (still isn't) working. I ended up buying the USB-emmc mounter dohickey (opening up the machine of course) and flashing the emmc with a new OS.

You're saying with a working emmc/uboot, I might be able to get a USB flashed with an OS to boot now?

Messages In This Thread
RE: My PBP starts up like a 1977 Chevy Nova - by rotwang - 09-03-2021, 03:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workaround for crackling audio when music starts/stops pato3 1 2,582 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dsimic