Which of the leading OSes is most ready for daily driver?
Mobian
58.06%
Manjaro
12.90%
Arch
29.03%
31 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Current state of the art OS comparison
Manjaro I test-drove 2020-12-17:
- In default install, incoming calls/sms only vibrate; not immediately obvious how to turn on ringtone sound Sad
- Modem disappeared within minutes, and didn't re-appear on reboot.  This was a show stopper for me.

Mobian
+ significant advantage over others on 2020-12-17 was how well the camera worked and the application to view images.  This got broken 2020-12-19, supposedly because of the recent libtiff update. Sad
- I'd prefer that ssh server was intalled and active by default.  I make a huge use of ssh'ing to PinePhone from laptop, and I like ssh to work out-of-the-box just like in other distros.
- Occasions when modem becomes unavailable I encountered too.
+ Some nice applications pre-installed, but some others call for immediate removal (e.g. flashlight whose function is available from system bar, unneeded games).
- I have all the reasons to expect Mobian to be better than the other distros, but in multiple attempts of practical use it has come out inferior.

ArchLinux
is the winner and my daily driver.  A bit surprising given so much fewer people working on it.  Biggest current drawbacks:
- The phone doesn't conveniently notify me about missed calls and new sms.  LEDs are not used at all! Sad  Takes too many actions just to see if I have a missed call/sms: (1) press power button to get to locked screen; (2) slide up; (3) enter password & click 'Unlock'; (4) click on system bar to see if any notifications.  This could be avoided by a simple LED notification like in other distros.
- Camera has not worked well yet.
- Ringtone keeps playing for 1-2 seconds after the incoming call is connected - I can hear caller's voice overlapping with ringtone.
+ Updates are fast from a nearby mirror and command line.

Messages In This Thread
Current state of the art OS comparison - by Cree - 12-19-2020, 09:28 PM
RE: Current state of the art OS comparison - by lat - 12-20-2020, 06:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best current OS Cree 4 8,612 07-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Last Post: hiimtye