Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China
(07-31-2020, 01:17 PM)natasha Wrote: Your post is an insult to human rights.

One thing is to acknowledge that we are abusing China and many other countries using their cheap labor force, but we have no option. We have also to live in a society where we can not be the heroes refusing to buy cheap merchandise (such as your shirt). Similarly, we all know the bloody conditions on African mines so we can have our fancy technology. etc.

But it makes it even worse if you try to say that Chinese factories are fair with workers. Man, we are talking about a country without freedom. We are buying there because the prices are sooo cheap. Why are prices so cheap, because they abuse their workers. They are not paid, they work extra hours, and if they fight against the system, they will be jailed t
Your post is an example of "first world" "saw it on TV". Smile

Keep in mind that people aren't powerless.  We all live in different cultures, some a little different, some very different.  If people are in a dire situation, they find a way out. 

Your standard of living is not an inalienable human right.  There actually aren't any inalienable human rights.  You get rights by fiat.  If you don't believe me, look at the "basic rights" that are being casually removed in many places right this minute.  If this isn't happening to you, you're very fortunate.

I bought this shirt at the silk market in Beijing, as a souvenir.  Every other shirt I buy is made in California.  You can bet I have a choice not to buy clothing in China, and I don't.  It means that at the end of the day, the Chinese worker has more money than I have to spend on nightlife.  But that's my choice.  I don't ever buy anything cheap because it's cheap.  I bought two PBPs because if the philosophy of the design, not because it's cheap and Chinese.  It doesn't bother me that I bought one thing made in China.  I go out of my way not to, but there are times when it's unavoidable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion of Moving Production Outside of China - by KC9UDX - 07-31-2020, 04:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no ePacket shipping from China? KNERD 4 1,258 06-29-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: poundinitiative
  Poll: Move production outside of China? KNERD 10 9,574 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: xalius