PBP Backups (and newbie intro)
Lightbulb 
Hey folks,

A little background:  this is my first pine64 device.  I've flashed a few androids over the years, and long-time linux engineer.

My PBP arrived a couple weeks ago with Manjaro KDE and I've invested a bit of time getting it set up the way I like.  Currently all I'm doing is tarring everything to a file on USB drive.  But I really want to do an image backup.  Idea being I could flash a new OS, and then restore my image of customized Manjaro if I don't like it.  Or say I bork it bad and just want to revert to a known good state. 

It's always best to backup a quiesced filesystem (preferably unmounted).  I've done a little research here and on wiki and stuff and think I at least have a strategy.  Please let me know what you think:

First, I need to choose a linux distro which I can boot from SDcard.  Then insert a 64GB USB thumbdrive.  Boot the SDcard image.  finally dd the emmc to the USB.  poweroff, eject media and boot back to normal.    To restore, I do the above but dd the other way from USB to EMMC.

Is this a sound strategy or does it take me down a more aggravating path than one I'm not aware of, yet?
Is it better to boot from USB and dd to SD? (instead of the reverse as I described above)?
And where exactly does etcher come into play?  Burning the OS to the SDcard?

Many thanks,

Messages In This Thread
PBP Backups (and newbie intro) - by plarkinjr - 06-17-2020, 09:22 AM
RE: PBP Backups (and newbie intro) - by kaidenshi - 06-17-2020, 09:58 AM
RE: PBP Backups (and newbie intro) - by Syonyk - 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,522 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock