We need to talk about battery lifespan
I was not exaggerating; I still have the "phone" that does that; but the battery is dead (maybe lasted 2 years). It would charge to 80%, then discharge to 20%, then charge to 80%. That didn't stop the battery from puffing up and cracking the case. I seem to have a vastly different experience with newer batteries: the non-user-replaceable ones are out-lasting the user-replaceable ones. But except for an iPhone 11 that only worked for a couple of weeks, my newest devices are all several years old. So maybe this is something that is a problem with very new devices.

My old laptop has nickel metal hydride batteries. When it was new, it might stay powered on with little activity for two hours, and then charge for 4 or 6. I sure don't want to go back to that. I don't even have to concern myself with the battery in the Pinebook Pro.

Why is user-configurability so offensive? The idea is that you could have it your way, and I could have it my way. I have lithium, nickel cadmium, and nickel metal hydride battery devices all over the place. (Yes everyone has a lot of them these days, but I'm pretty sure I have more than most.) If they get hot, I take them off the charger.

The last thing I want is reduced usability in the short term. That was my analogy with the electric car problem. And I'm not spewing conspiracy theories: I even have a pamphlet from the power company here somewhere explaining why we should look forward to such a scheme because it's for the common good (paraphrasing). I realise that you're not proposing this. But it is the extreme case of what you are proposing, which is reduced usability for the sake of theoretical longevity. No I don't want a dead battery fresh off the charger, but I also don't want two hours less run time either. So adjust your settings your way and I'll adjust mine my way; rather than making your way the standard way and me having to recompile the sources to get the original operating mode back.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Everyone wants me to quit using NetBSD

Messages In This Thread
RE: We need to talk about battery lifespan - by KC9UDX - 08-17-2021, 02:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power/battery usage on risc-v vs arm64? zetabeta 1 932 08-28-2023, 01:23 AM
Last Post: alphonso
  Flip phone, low power, long battery life vandys 8 6,408 01-16-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: ryo
  Is it possible to power the phone without a battery? stragulus 1 3,010 02-13-2020, 03:32 AM
Last Post: InsideJob