Serial Output Garbage after initial messages
(07-06-2022, 07:22 PM)jamforlunch Wrote: Do you know if the latest Debian works on the RockPro64 - with all its peripherals ?

I can't speak for all the peripherals, but I'm running Debian Bookworm on a headless server.

Last time I checked, the Debian installer did fine at populating the target partition with the OS, but it didn't install or configure the bootloader (u-boot). You can do this yourself if you make sure to leave 16MiB of empty space before the first partition on your boot device.

The boot device will need:
  • Your kernel's rk3399-rockpro64-v2.dtb file as /boot/dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-rockpro64-v2.dtb (you can copy it from the /usr/lib/linux-image-${version}/rockchip/ directory of an installed system.)
  • A u-boot config file at /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf containing an appropriate append root= line for your root filesystem and fdt line for your kernel's .dtb file
  • The bootloader itself, written to the blocks preceding the first partition of your boot device.

The bootloader can be installed by a tool in Debian's u-boot-rockchip package. (From memory, I think the command is u-boot-install-rockchip.) Of course, you need a running Debian system in order to install that package and use it. You might be able to do this from within a shell launched by the Debian installer.

A more manual approach to installing the bootloader would be to copy the disk blocks between the end of the partition table and the beginning of the first partition on the Debian installer's disk image.

More info here:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid119256

Messages In This Thread
RE: Serial Output Garbage after initial messages - by foresto - 09-07-2024, 03:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No HDMI output on monitor but HDMI works on TV archamin 1 2,336 09-15-2021, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LMM
  Change Baudrate for Built-On Serial R0b0t1 1 3,300 10-04-2020, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Gienek
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,939 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Serial communcation with USB to serial(DB9) cable rahulsharma 6 7,604 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Last Post: martinayotte
  u-boot serial port speed? zener 2 4,430 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Last Post: zener