PinePhone Keyboard Battery?
Well, I am sure I voided any warranty I had, but after several unsuccessful attempts I applied six thin strokes of tin foil to the pogo pin contacts in the case to help them connect and it worked right away. Charging right now as I type this on the keyboard.

Don't try this at home. If you do, make sure that the strokes don't touch. If they do and you break your board, don't tell anyone I told you this.
For anyone out there with the same problem: there is no need to modify the contacts, there is a much easier fix.
Insert a piece of thin plastic or even paper (if you are lucky and have little or no glue there) under the pogo pin board.
Start from the thin side of the keyboard pogo pin board. Very carefully insert a screwdriver or something tiny between the pogo pin board and the backplate. While holding the edge with the screwdriver, insert a piece of plastic or paper all the way under the pogo pins. The pogo board may be more or less glued to the case so you may need to cut through the glue with the piece of plastic.
|
|
+---------+
    POGO  |<-- insert from here
+---------+
|
|
If I understand correctly, connect your power source to the usb-c connector on the keyboard, + touch the keyboard power button about 2 seconds, it should charge.
---> Mine took a few hours to charge to 100%

( Warning ! DO NOT attach more than One Power Source ! )

The keys do feel a lil bit 'clunky' and sometimes I need to hit a key twice, I hope it is just 'breaking-in' *** but I am really "Liking" this keyboard !

Thanks to Pine64 and the Pine Community !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I have received my  keyboard, and am very impressed with the quality! I don't have  it working yet, though. It seemed to wake the Pinephone once through the keyboard's USB-c connection to a charger, but it did not sustain the connection,  as the phone was not being  charged after waking up.
@bcnaz , do you have the Community edition with the faulty pin like mine? I never corrected it, being not too skilled at soldering.  And if so, do you actually see battery status for the phone as well as the battery?  Potentially i forsee another problem on my staying with the 5.10 kernel, for mobile data tethering purposes, but just wanted to check with you on the pin issue first.

Thanks!

Quote:bcnazIf I understand correctly,  connect your power source to the usb-c connector on the keyboard, + touch the keyboard power button about 2 seconds, it should charge.
---> Mine took a few hours to charge to 100%

( Warning !  DO NOT attach more than One Power Source ! )

The keys do feel a lil bit 'clunky' and sometimes I need to hit a key twice,  I hope it is just 'breaking-in'  *** but I am really "Liking" this keyboard ! 
@HLing "Faulty pin" ? please explain.

Yeah, I am seeing a problem with the keyboard charging...

When I had the phone 'turned-on' and I was attempting to charge via the keyboard usb-c port, the percent charged --> did not change in over an hour.

but it seems to charge fine if the phone is turned-off.

I am Lucky to have multiple Pine phones, * This keyboard is fun, but it is not ready for use on my daily use phone.

If one of my test phones crash, hopefully I will "learn from that"... If my daily use Pine phone were to crash, I might have a problem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-24-2022, 12:35 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Thanks for your reply, @bcnaz ! I was getting confused about my pine phone's birth defect Huh , which is, as described on Reddit, "the UBports Edition from May 2020, with a motherboard defect that prevents convergence mode from working (no video out over USB C)....". I don't  suppose it can work with the keyboard, then?

Quote:[quote pid="105392" dateline="1643049332"]
@HLing  "Faulty pin" ?  please explain.
My Brave Heart phone is sitting,  waiting for me to install the new convergent mainboard I bought for it.
My 3 PMOS convergent phones,  and 1 Manjaro convergent phone, are working ok running recent versions of the top 5 operating systems.
My P.P. Pro should arrive here Friday !    :-)

Yeah,  I am seeing a problem with the charging...

When I had the phone 'turned-on'  and I was attempting to charge via the keyboard usb-c port,  the percent charged did not change in over an hour.

but it seems to charge fine if the phone is turned-off.

I am Lucky to have multiple Pine phones,  this keyboard is fun,  but it is not ready for use on my daily use phone.

If one of my test phones crash,  hopefully I will  "learn from that"...  If my daily use Pine phone were to crash, I might have a problem.

[/quote]
@HLing

It may be a good idea to look closer at some of the posts (in this forum) from the UBPorts era, actually describe the fault or check the forum wiki.

As the keyboard is connected via the POGO pins, NOT usb, so it may not be affected ?

I currently have my new keyboard attached to a PMOS Convergence phone, and I seem to remember that PMOS release had some similar usb fault mentioned in posts.

The keyboard is doing ok on this phone, besides a few firmware problems within the keyboard itself, discussed in other posts.
----> ((keyboard is fun and triples your runtime))

So I think it would work, but...

" " Maybe start a thread asking if someone has a working keyboard on a UBPorts phone" " ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I received my keyboard today and I can confirm the issue (with a non-pro Pinephone).

I if I press the back cover forcefully, then there will be charging contact. But if I let got, it will disconnect.

The phone sits firmly in the case and pushing it in again or harder would break the phone or the case.

Does anyone have an idea about how to safely shim the pins?

Edit: I missed out on https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid105155
I will try that.
My PMOS Convergent Edition phone : Just snapped-in and works, no fiddling.

Though I have not attempted to move it to another Pine phone yet.

It sounds like you may need to 'shim' your contacts, if squeezing your phone causes it to connect.

From what I understand it is only a very thin shim that is needed, but it is a precise connection.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-24-2022, 10:49 PM)bcnaz Wrote: @HLing

It may be a good idea to look closer at some of the posts (in this forum)  from the UBPorts era,  actually describe the fault or check the forum wiki.

As the keyboard is connected via the POGO pins, NOT usb,  so it may not be affected ?

I currently have my new keyboard attached to a PMOS Convergence phone, and I seem to remember that PMOS release had some similar usb fault mentioned in posts.

The keyboard is doing ok on this phone, besides a few firmware problems within the keyboard itself, discussed in other posts.
        ----> ((keyboard is fun and triples your runtime))

So I think it would work,  but...

" " Maybe start a thread asking if someone has a working keyboard on a UBPorts phone" "  ?

For usb thethering necessity I am still using the stable version. ("uname -a"gets: Linux Mobian 5.10-sunxi64 #2 SMP PREEEMPT Tue Jan 12 09:55:56 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux, which to my  surprise had another update last December. )
First I tried to get a better contact by 1) fully charged and then power off my Pine phone. 2)pressing the Keyboard case and hearing the clicks. 3)connecting the USB-C port on the keyboard to a PD charger. 4) green light lit up. 5)keep it connected overnight.  The next  morning, i powered on pine phone. It only has 35% power from 100% night before. Nothing happens with the keyboard.

Today I booted from a micro SD that had the weekly from Jan 16, 2022, which after unzipping seemed to have 6 G of data?!  I ran the update using the wifi since the sim card was not seen by the phone.   This is Book Worm, kernel 5.15? The Mobile network did not come on for a while, but it eventually appeared so I could set up Mobile data and roaming.   Phone call did not work. I dial and nothing happens, even though in the "recent" it showed that I tried to call out. The mobile data seemed on, but i wasn't able to get online with firefox.  The last thing that did it was that the charging was not taking a PD charger.  All of the above just worked on my Mobian Bullseye.  Plus i did not have the keyboard case with me to test it. 

I might just stay with my current configuration for a bit more.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for a PinePhone Keyboard Case RubiksCube 0 84 10-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: RubiksCube
  Seeking your experiences: PinePhone in snug cases of other phones mycycles 9 4,727 08-16-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: 67man
  So which keyboard you suggest for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 21 3,993 07-19-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Rii mini 4 keyboard and touchpad work over Bluetooth Peter Gamma 0 312 07-19-2024, 08:02 AM
  Keyboards for the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 1 1,320 07-04-2024, 10:22 PM
  Bring the Pinephone keyboard back, it is worth it! Peter Gamma 1 583 07-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Heart The Pinephone keyboard offers alternative layouts Peter Gamma 0 229 07-04-2024, 05:40 AM
  Keyboard & 2.4G usb dongle for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 2 765 06-29-2024, 09:36 PM
  Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad Zebulon Walton 11 10,763 06-29-2024, 04:09 AM
  Was someone able to use the Pinephone keyboard & an usb mouse at the same? Peter Gamma 4 1,225 06-26-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: dachalife