Pinephone Pro: Determined To Make It (Drive-able)
Would love to make this device primary.
Any feedback on the problems / proposed solutions greatly appreciated.

Drove original PinePhone on postmarketOS SXMO + WayDroid for a while. PPP is amazing here, but strangely, suspend doesn't seem to work.
The device will discharge (to 0% battery) if not charged over night, and last ~2 hours without a charger. Random poweroffs.
All connectivity is kill-switched. dmesg reports - "PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected".
Read somewhere that PPP should last for 24h minimally if suspended, yet it doesn't seem to work regardless of OS.

Wireless charging case sadly isn't sold any more (to pair with a smartphone charging case).
Before velcro-fastening the most compact 20000mAh powerbank on a back of PPP, trying software fixes might be in order.
postmarketOS doesn't seem to use Megi's now legendary kernel though, due to it not being mainlined, missing on PPP-critical patches.

Megi's https://xff.cz/kernels/ offers pre-built ones, but sadly kinda lost on how to make it work on postmarketOS (based on Alpine).
Arch seems to use Megi's kernel or patches, but it didn't survive the night either.
Mobian seemed ok, but couldn't get the SXMO working.

The device is also pretty hot. Like, literally.
Convergence + heavier use might need better heat dissipation to prevent thermal throttling (think I read it starts at 65°C/149°F on PPP).
Thinking about using 0.05mm copper pads with kapton tape on conductive shielding to prevent short-circuits & improve cooling.

USB-C doesn't work for data transfers, camera neither, but that isn't deal-breaker.

Anyway, very thankful for the effort that has been put into this by some very talented individuals; making a real pocket privacy-respecting (air-gappable) device possible.
(07-18-2024, 11:58 AM)USeeks Wrote: Would love to make this device primary.
Any feedback on the problems / proposed solutions greatly appreciated.

Megi's https://xff.cz/kernels/ offers pre-built ones, but sadly kinda lost on how to make it work on postmarketOS (based on Alpine).
Arch seems to use Megi's kernel or patches, but it didn't survive the night either.
Mobian seemed ok, but couldn't get the SXMO working.
See this post for a complete install and setup.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18192

See this post for my experience on functionally (still applies today)
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid118783

(07-18-2024, 11:58 AM)USeeks Wrote: The device is also pretty hot. Like, literally.
Convergence + heavier use might need better heat dissipation to prevent thermal throttling (think I read it starts at 65°C/149°F on PPP).
Thinking about using 0.05mm copper pads with kapton tape on conductive shielding to prevent short-circuits & improve cooling.
Wow! That is hot! I only get hot when I am running firefox for a long time. 

(07-18-2024, 11:58 AM)USeeks Wrote: USB-C doesn't work for data transfers, camera neither, but that isn't deal-breaker.
If you have a local network, use synchthing for data transfers. 

Device: PinePhonePro (Daily driver)
Carrier: USA - Patriot Mobile (T-Mobile SIM)
EG25 Firmware: Biktorgj 0.7.2
ADSP Version: 01.003
(07-19-2024, 08:23 AM)mikehenson Wrote: See this post for a complete install and setup.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18192

See this post for my experience on functionally (still applies today)
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid118783

Thank you for sharing your setup.

Does DanctNIX Arch use the Megi's kernel, and likely will in the future?
It didn't make it throught the night with SXMO, sadly (newest ARM version).
Manjaro (beta 36) explicitly mention using this kernel, and it survived the night with 4% battery left. Blue led didn't stop blinking, however.

Guess suspend might not be working due to hardware modification. Speaker and earpiece were removed from the device to prevent data-exfiltration even with killswitches off. Did get privacy invaded pretty badly few years ago by obsessive Cluster-B individuals, so updated my threat model and learning this (I.T.) as I go.

Guess will roll with the punches and proceed with the compact powerbank addition.
Will also try the Arch version you showcase on the video.
(07-19-2024, 10:34 PM)USeeks Wrote: Does DanctNIX Arch use the Megi's kernel, and likely will in the future?00
Yes. (He is testing the latest kernel with the call audio fixes)

(07-19-2024, 10:34 PM)USeeks Wrote: It didn't make it throught the night with SXMO, sadly (newest ARM version).
Guess will roll with the punches and proceed with the compact powerbank addition.
Will also try the Arch version you showcase on the video.
The Arch with Phosh works great for me... The battery drops about 10% per 4 hours when the phone is in suspend. (Texts and calls still wake up the phone)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New PinePhone Pro fails... P. Siera 5 696 08-01-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: P. Siera
  A way to view or log the splash screen on Pinephone Pro running ArchLinux (Danctnix) PHLEMON 4 587 07-30-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: PHLEMON
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 2 1,399 07-30-2024, 05:58 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Is my PinePhone Pro dead? jlioret 2 1,787 07-28-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dchang0
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 11 7,130 07-28-2024, 03:21 PM
  Will a Pinephone Pro (Explorer) work with TING wpeckham 8 3,971 07-28-2024, 03:04 PM
  Show me your "portable" PinePhone Pro setup! Danct12 5 4,013 07-20-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Emeliaee3
  PinePhone Pro/IMX258 Camera Debugging problem jasperji 0 428 06-15-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: jasperji
  Pinephone pro replacement lcd screen Linuxuser3 0 650 04-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Linuxuser3
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 964 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta