What is the highest usable DRAM clock speed for you?
29.17%
0%
12.50%
8.33%
4.17%
8.33%
37.50%
24 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Volunteer needed]Too high DRAM clock speed MAY be causing you random crashes/freezes
Thank you!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-25-2020, 04:17 AM)devrtz Wrote: @Luke Should have updated binaries later today or tomorrow - the build is taking quite a long time on my machine Wink

Can you point me to the right place on the uboot github to where the memory speeds are changed @devrtz . I swear I knew where it was at one point, but I cant find it anymore. I could build them pretty quickly on my system and help some.

Plus I need them for my own phone anyway, so it would be beneficial all around.

Thanks!
I've updated the OP with new images as debian packages. I have yet to find out how to get the binaries I provided earlier from the debian packages (the resulting binary from before consists of multiple parts).

If you want to build it manually: You can grab it from here. If you are not building on a debian based system
you should look at the patch under "debian/patches/pinephone".
To manually build (from the Makefiles and such) you also need the ARM trusted firmware (ATF). Once you have ATF you need to EXPORT BL31=path-to-atf.bin and then I believe make pinephone_defconfig and make. This will give you the binaries in the form they were before (which you can dd)
(07-25-2020, 10:45 AM)devrtz Wrote: I've updated the OP with new images as debian packages. I have yet to find out how to get the binaries I provided earlier from the debian packages (the resulting binary from before consists of multiple parts).

If you want to build it manually: You can grab it from here. If you are not building on a debian based system
To manually build (from the Makefiles and such) you also need the ARM trusted firmware (ATF). Once you have ATF you need to EXPORT BL31=path-to-atf.bin and then I believe make pinephone_defconfig and make. This will give you the binaries in the form they were before (which you can dd)

Thanks! the one issue I currently have is that apt attempts to overwrite the custom uboot every time I run an upgrade now :/

(07-25-2020, 12:48 PM)Luke Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:45 AM)devrtz Wrote: I've updated the OP with new images as debian packages. I have yet to find out how to get the binaries I provided earlier from the debian packages (the resulting binary from before consists of multiple parts).

Thanks! the one issue I currently have is that apt attempts to overwrite the custom uboot every time I run an upgrade now :/
Thanks for letting me know. I do not yet know what the problem is :\
And curiously it tries grabbing u-boot from upstream bullseye repo (2020.07+dfsg-1), not from the mobian repo (2020.04+dfsg-2pinephone5).

I strongly suggest not upgrading it (or reinstalling u-boot afterwards and rerunning u-boot-install-pinephone) as I believe the u-boot from debian does not support the pinephone. At least it's not listed as a supported device in the package information)
(07-25-2020, 02:03 PM)devrtz Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:48 PM)Luke Wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. I do not yet know what the problem is :\
And curiously it tries grabbing u-boot from upstream bullseye repo (2020.07+dfsg-1), not from the mobian repo (2020.04+dfsg-2pinephone5).

I strongly suggest not upgrading it (or reinstalling u-boot afterwards and rerunning u-boot-install-pinephone) as I believe the u-boot from debian does not support the pinephone. At least it's not listed as a supported device in the package information)

Mine attempts to fetch u-boot-sunxi-xxx, but it still broke portions of the installation and I had to reflash. For now I just decided to apt-mark hold the package. 
Thanks!

Hi

I have redirected to this post. I was told I have to reduce the clock speed so it doesn't get too hot. My phone gets warm with UT and very hot with Mobian.

I don't understand anything about this post. However, I am willing to try if more detailed instructions are provided.

Is this post still applicable or the last updates already fixed that? Should we all reduce the clock speed? I read this is independent of the OS. Then, why some OS get hotter than others?

Can anyone explain with plain words, what a new PinePhone user do about this to reduce the phone temperature?

thanks
@Luke I now know how to fix this. It had to do with the version string I used.

I'm currently rebuilding.

@daniel This topic primarily came about because I noticed my phone getting unstable with higher memory clocks (at the time default clock speeds had changed in some distributions). Using a slower memory clock will consume less power and therefore should make your phone cooler (this is the OS independent part). This is probably why you got directed to this post. OS dependent: The temperature at which the CPU will be throttled is 70 degrees Celsius for Mobian as far as I know. UT probably has a lower setting -> hence it being cooler.

In plain words: To change the clock speed you need to use a flash a patched bootloader (u-boot is widely used and is - among other things - responsible for setting the memory clock speeds).
For mobian you can install a debian package as instructed in the OP. (But please wait until tomorrow when I have updated the links).
For other distributions I have an idea how to get the binary which you can flash using "dd", but I haven't yet build them/tried it
(07-25-2020, 05:49 PM)devrtz Wrote: @Luke I now know how to fix this. It had to do with the version string I used.

I'm currently rebuilding.

@daniel This topic primarily came about because I noticed my phone getting unstable with higher memory clocks (at the time default clock speeds had changed in some distributions). Using a slower memory clock will consume less power and therefore should make your phone cooler (this is the OS independent part). This is probably why you got directed to this post. OS dependent: The temperature at which the CPU will be throttled is 70 degrees Celsius for Mobian as far as I know. UT probably has a lower setting -> hence it being cooler.

In plain words: To change the clock speed you need to use a flash a patched bootloader (u-boot is widely used and is - among other things - responsible for setting the memory clock speeds).
For mobian you can install a debian package as instructed in the OP. (But please wait until tomorrow when I have updated the links).
For other distributions I have an idea how to get the binary which you can flash using "dd", but I haven't yet build them/tried it

Ok... thanks! I'll wait and try it!
OP updated

It should now work again with the flashable binaries (as before)
and as a debian package without prompting every time for an upgrade to debians u-boot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  emmc speed via usb? joe1 0 10 11 hours ago
Last Post: joe1
  Phone powers off with high user demands car46999 7 592 04-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Help needed: Jump drive not working UsnR2 5 4,952 07-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Last Post: UsnR2
  Endless crashes on Pine64 received today luciphercolors 4 5,562 11-24-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Does the PinePhone have a hardware random number generator? LibrePhoneUser 4 6,318 11-12-2020, 07:47 PM
Last Post: megous
  Only enable modem when needed with kill switches sokolgeo 2 4,094 09-20-2020, 04:40 AM
Last Post: sokolgeo
Sad Crashes in every OS - Hardware-issue? rakor 4 6,127 06-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Nooblife