Special mid-month update - shipping status of PBP ; PT and PP
(10-22-2019, 10:53 AM)binarian Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 07:13 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi everyone. So yes, this one is on me. Looks like some 15 laptops are yet to be shipped, and will ship later this month (likely with the 2nd batch). I apologize for the confusion - my fault.

We're running out of month, so not much longer to wait.  My question is...

Logistically speaking, what went wrong that all but 15 laptops got shipped?  That seems very random and arbitrary.  I'm asking from a purely "I don't know how manufacturing factories work so I'm curious" standpoint.

And I guess a secondary question, also logistically speaking, is: why can't someone literally carry 15 boxes to a post office?  Is there some policy that forbids that?  Some cultural "that's not how it's done here" sort of thing?

Again, NO idea how bulk shipping from a factory works, so apologies if these are questions that have very obvious answers.

Excellent questions!! :-)
Quote:And I guess a secondary question, also logistically speaking, is: why can't someone literally carry 15 boxes to a post office?  Is there some policy that forbids that?  Some cultural "that's not how it's done here" sort of thing?

These units were not completely assembled at the factory by the time the second / third batch PCBAs rolled in and scheduled for production. At the same time, we had to get the completed units out.

As for 'carrying the 15 boxes to a post office' - indeed, its not something that is possible.  PBPs are built in Shenzhen, mainland China, but ship out from Hong Kong via DHL. Staff needs to cross the border to bring them to HK, which is a journey rather than a casual walk to the local post office.

As to why they need to fly out from HK as opposed to Shenzhen: all electronics containing lithium ion batteries need to be handled in a particular way, since they are considered hazardous. Only certain shipping companies have the correct accreditation to make such shipments worldwide - DHL happens to be one of them. Other shipping options currently at our disposal do not have such accreditation.

We are aware we let people down, and are putting in an effort to make things right. That said, early days of product manufacturing are frequently problem-ridden.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-22-2019, 12:10 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:And I guess a secondary question, also logistically speaking, is: why can't someone literally carry 15 boxes to a post office?  Is there some policy that forbids that?  Some cultural "that's not how it's done here" sort of thing?

These units were not completely assembled at the factory by the time the second / third batch PCBAs rolled in and scheduled for production. At the same time, we had to get the completed units out.

As for 'carrying the 15 boxes to a post office' - indeed, its not something that is possible.  PBPs are built in Shenzhen, mainland China, but ship out from Hong Kong via DHL. Staff needs to cross the border to bring them to HK, which is a journey rather than a casual walk to the local post office.

As to why they need to fly out from HK as opposed to Shenzhen: all electronics containing lithium ion batteries need to be handled in a particular way, since they are considered hazardous. Only certain shipping companies have the correct accreditation to make such shipments worldwide - DHL happens to be one of them. Other shipping options currently at our disposal do not have such accreditation.

We are aware we let people down, and are putting in an effort to make things right. That said, early days of product manufacturing are frequently problem-ridden.

You guys could consult on how to do customer service. You handle concerns, update regularly, and you're honest about status. Even when the message is disappointing, the way the message is delivered is fantastic.

I don't have any need for information, I just wanted to make sure I voiced my appreciation.
(10-22-2019, 12:10 PM)Luke Wrote:

Really cool info, thanks for taking the time to answer!
I am very excited to be supporting such a truly stand up company.

Thank you Luke and team for all your hard work in making these products happen.

I look forward to my PBP delivery with the second batch whenever it makes it, and hope I can contribute even a faction to the Open source Pine world!
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
hopefully as new chips come from Rockchip, Pine64 will be producing upgraded main boards we can buy?
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10/17/...ture-range
(10-23-2019, 06:20 AM)speculatrix Wrote: hopefully as new chips come from Rockchip, Pine64 will be producing upgraded main boards we can buy?
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10/17/...ture-range

Already running at same frequency and even higher freq on the GPU.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hey... I haven't receive my pinebook pro yet. How can I check its status?
Thanks,
Luciana
(10-23-2019, 06:54 AM)Luesp Wrote: Hey... I haven't receive my pinebook pro yet. How can I check its status?
Thanks,
Luciana
Please email sales@pine64.org.

Or browse through these posts, your answer is most likely already posted, as you are not alone in this.
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
If I placed an order for the pinebook pro around 9/10/2019 which batch group would I be in?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 90,696 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 109,084 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,606 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 168,458 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 81,672 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 178,160 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,956 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM
  Manjaro Community Edition Shipping thread Luke 122 148,798 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Muad
Information August/ September Pinebook Pro, PineTab and PinePhone shipping thread Luke 256 377,948 10-27-2020, 11:14 AM
  The PinePhone is real and shipping soon! (September blog update) fire219 20 36,302 09-22-2020, 02:41 PM
Last Post: fsflover